Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton road works

Options
  • 11-10-2018 9:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Whats going on out there disaster zone for last few months :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Another few weeks of work still to happen. Jerry Buttimer gives updates on the work via his social media pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

what works is it

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Resurfacing, creation of cycling lane, narrower gap between both sides of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

From Jerry Buttimer's facebook page:

"Sarsfield Road Area Update:

Siac Construction Ltd are progressing drainage installation works in the westbound lane from Sarsfield Road Roundabout. Lane width restrictions are in place here but the works will not cause any traffic disruption.
    On the Sarsfield Road itself between Sarsfield Road Roundabout and Wilton Road Roundabout:
    Works are continuing on the northbound lanes. These works should reach substantial completion this week, with the exception of final surfacing works which will be carried out next month under night-time working.
    As part of this process, the dedicated left in lane to Wilton shopping centre will be fully re-established.
    The works focus will then switch to the existing median area and this will be followed by works on the southbound lanes. It is expected that the works will reach substantial completion in early December 2018.
    Details of any upcoming traffic restrictions will continue to be circulated in future updates."

Not clear that there is to be any drainage improvement in the southbound section between Wilton and Sarsfield Roundabouts opposite the shopping centre. This is always flooded whenever it rains.

Nice flood in it this morning but hopefully drainage is in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mean gene wrote: »
    Whats going on out there disaster zone for last few months :eek:

Disaster? Regular road works, actually pretty well managed. At the begining they could rearrange some of the lanes a bit better, but in general this is done very well.

What is a disaster are the people who don't obey the 'no-right-turn' signs. I know that you ABSOLUTELY have to turn here to go to Tesco...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Narrowing of city roads, wider footpaths, increased traffic, huge traffic jams, no Gardai on point duty, traffic lights programmed to ensure you are caught on red 4 to 5 times out of 6, major works beginning in September when the kids go back to school, am I right in this? you have to question our city planners

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Where? In Wilton?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Can anyone explain why they have put a bus lane in the left lane turning into the shopping centre?

mordeith wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why they have put a bus lane in the left lane turning into the shopping centre?

To allow bus to jump the traffic?!

All the morons blocking the lane when turning left should get a hefty fine, that would teach some to read the traffic signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

WTF

Are you serious?

• Advertisement

Mardyke wrote: »
    WTF

Are you serious?

Yes, the lane doesn't go straight on. There was a bus today and it didn't bother using the lane as it would have to indicate to get back into the main flow of traffic. Also it's only about 50 yards long.

Yes, the lane doesn't go straight on. There was a bus today and it didn't bother using the lane as it would have to indicate to get back into the main flow of traffic. Also it's only about 50 yards long.

The bus lane ends 20m before the junction. It cannot not go straight, because there simply is no bus lane at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

This road is the main route for Emergency (Ambulance) vehicles into Cork University Hospital - scheduled to be the #2 Major Trauma Centre in the country. We have a bus lane that goes nowhere, narrower traffic lanes, a major shopping centre in the middle, and a badly-designed roundabout beside the hospital....WTF are the planners and designers doing?

blindsider wrote: »
    This road is the main route for Emergency (Ambulance) vehicles into Cork University Hospital - scheduled to be the #2 Major Trauma Centre in the country. We have a bus lane that goes nowhere

It is the a very typical layout - the left lane is for left turn except buses and cyclist.
    narrower traffic lanes

City is for people, not cars.
    a major shopping centre in the middle

Nothing to be done with that without a huge money to buy them out and close it. If that was ever done, imagine the endless whining about poor children...
    and a badly-designed roundabout beside the hospital....WTF are the planners and designers doing?

What is badly designed? Wilton RB? It is the one of the finest examples of turbine RB in this country. Could use a bit of tuning of lane markers, but in general it is a good piece of engineering.

Generally I am very sceptical about the changes that are done or not done to the infrastructure in this country. The overall 'cannot be done' attitude drives me crazy. This project however seems to have sense.

grogi wrote: »
    The bus lane ends 20m before the junction. It cannot not go straight, because there simply is no bus lane at the junction.

Yes I know but what is the point of a 30m bus lane that then requires the bus to cut back into traffic. Also two or three cars can fit in the top of the lane where they can legally be in it. The value of that bus lane to buses is negligible. They should have left the whole length as an access lane to the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

grogi wrote: »
    It is the a very typical layout - the left lane is for left turn except buses and cyclist.

City is for people, not cars.

This is an arterial route. People have cars. Public transport is a joke.

Nothing to be done with that without a huge money to buy them out and close it. If that was ever done, imagine the endless whining about poor children...

I'm not saying they should buy the SC. The Planners should however, make appropriate decisions based on it being there, instead of ignoring it.

What is badly designed? Wilton RB? It is the one of the finest examples of turbine RB in this country. Could use a bit of tuning of lane markers, but in general it is a good piece of engineering.

You contradicted yourself here so I'll leave it....

Generally I am very sceptical about the changes that are done or not done to the infrastructure in this country. The overall 'cannot be done' attitude drives me crazy. This project however seems to have sense.

I'm not sure what this last paragraph means.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

This project makes little or no sense. It’s like planners are trying to devise ways to create traffic and confuse motorists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Place is a complete mess nice one city hall another mistake-you be wondering how these muppets get in there in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

mean gene wrote: »
    Place is a complete mess nice one city hall another mistake-you be wondering how these muppets get in there in the first place
    It’s the first development in the area in the last 30+ years which has put the needs of local residents who want/need to walk to schools/shops/the hospital above those of people driving cars. Hopefully it won’t be the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I've always though that the bus stop should be right at the current entrance (on Bishopstown road). Line the road so that the traffic in the two middle lanes are back 5-10 meters, so the bus can move back out even when the lights are red and have priority. And then have a slip road into the shopping center behind the bus stop.
    Traffic can move into the left lane to go into the shopping center, the bus can stop and move out again easily, the two middle lanes would need to yield to the bus and the right lane for the hospital.

• Advertisement

sheff_ wrote: »
    It’s the first development in the area in the last 30+ years which has put the needs of local residents who want/need to walk to schools/shops/the hospital above those of people driving cars. Hopefully it won’t be the last.
    What a load of rubbish. How long do you think the bus/cycle lane that goes from Bishoptown Rd past the hospital into the city exists?

What a load of rubbish. How long do you think the bus/cycle lane that goes from Bishoptown Rd past the hospital into the city exists?
    It’s a bus lane. I wouldn’t advise anyone to walk in it. Also it’s no use to people using Sarsfield Road, which is the road works all previous posts were discussing.

It’s a bus lane.
    Yes, a bus lane. Used by local residents when they walk to the bus stop.
    Another was when they got rid of that awful underground tunnel (intimidating with some of the people that hung out there, so imagine how it’d be used now) to go under the Sarsfield Road; now proper traffic lights to allow pedestrians pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It’s a bus lane. I wouldn’t advise anyone to walk in it. Also it’s no use to people using Sarsfield Road, which is the road works all previous posts were discussing.

Could you explain the point of a 30m bus lane which has removed a left filter lane and which it now appears that bus drivers aren’t using because it is potentially slower having to reserve with the mainline?

Yes I know but what is the point of a 30m bus lane that then requires the bus to cut back into traffic. Also two or three cars can fit in the top of the lane where they can legally be in it. The value of that bus lane to buses is negligible. They should have left the whole length as an access lane to the shopping centre.

You're right, I've revisted the site today. The bus lane should be continous upto the Wilton RB.

Yes, a bus lane. Used by local residents when they walk to the bus stop.
    Another was when they got rid of that awful underground tunnel (intimidating with some of the people that hung out there, so imagine how it’d be used now) to go under the Sarsfield Road; now proper traffic lights to allow pedestrians pass.
    The tunnel was far from perfect, but rather than try and improve it got replaced by a staggered pedestrian crossing across a dual carriageway where cars frequently speed and ignore red lights. Not the best either. At least the current works removed the motorway style crash barriers - hopefully drivers might lower their speeds a bit because of this.
    Again though, a bus lane added to 1 side of Bishopstown road was of no benefit to pedestrians. In fact it just meant an additional traffic lane for people to cross.

Could you explain the point of a 30m bus lane which has removed a left filter lane and which it now appears that bus drivers aren’t using because it is potentially slower having to reserve with the mainline?

Not a clue. As you say it’s an immediate fail. Should’ve taken some land from the shopping centre and taken the bus lane up to the roundabout, or just not bothered with that section. If no buses are using it though then it’ll still function fine as a left filter lane.

So the same number if traffic lanes, but for the first time in decades the pedestrian experience in the area has been improved by works, not made worse. Maybe improving that and the cycle lanes, plus improving drainage from the was the main purpose of the works? Much less flooding on the road the last few week - again a win for pedestrians.

The tunnel was far from perfect
    The tunnel was terrible, residents wanted it gone due to two reasons; it became a hosting area for some unsavory youths and it had people parking there just to go across to the shopping center (as the car park was often full). So the residents were very happy to see it gone and replaced by lights. I know cause I lived in Wilton Court, so very aware of the debate at the time. So your initial statement was incorrect.
    People who are pedestrians are more likely to use the bus (I did when I lived there) so the bus lane was def an improvement for them. Not sure why you are moaning about an extra lane to cross, a total red herring, you wait for the lights and you cross the road; extra lane means nothing in that context.

The tunnel was terrible, residents wanted it gone due to two reasons; it became a hosting area for some unsavory youths and it had people parking there just to go across to the shopping center (as the car park was often full). So the residents were very happy to see it gone and replaced by lights. I know cause I lived in Wilton Court, so very aware of the debate at the time. So your initial statement was incorrect.
    People who are pedestrians are more likely to use the bus (I did when I lived there) so the bus lane was def an improvement for them. Not sure why you are moaning about an extra lane to cross, a total red herring, you wait for the lights and you cross the road; extra lane means nothing in that context.

Blocking the tunnel didn’t stop people parking in Wilton Court for the shopping centre, introducing disc parking did. It did mean that an uninterrupted route was changed to having to use 2 sets of lights to cross a dual Carraigeway. The tunnel wasn’t great, but neither was the replacement.

My initial statement was about locals walking to shops/schools/the hospital. A bus lane on Bishopstown road was of no benefit to anyone doing that. The current works however have made some improvements, the first in a long time.

• Advertisement

Blocking the tunnel didn’t stop people parking in Wilton Court for the shopping centre, introducing disc parking did.
    It greatly reduced it. Immediately. People would leave their trolleys over there as well, and that stopped. Disc parking didn't come in when they made the change, it was well after that cause I lived there for a while even after the tunnel was gone.
    It did mean that an uninterrupted route was changed to having to use 2 sets of lights to cross a dual Carraigeway. The tunnel wasn’t great, but neither was the replacement.
    The residents wanted that change, so it was great for them.
    My initial statement was about locals walking to shops/schools/the hospital.
    Yes, and the residents of got what the wanted going across to Wilton SC. So there was an improvement, sought by residents, well within your 30+ years; which was your initial statement.

Advertisement