Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton road works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

It greatly reduced it. Immediately. People would leave their trolleys over there as well, and that stopped. Disc parking didn't come in when they made the change, it was well after that cause I lived there for a while even after the tunnel was gone.

The residents wanted that change, so it was great for them.

Yes, and the residents of got what the wanted going across to Wilton SC. So there was an improvement, sought by residents, well within your 30+ years; which was your initial statement.

I’m gonna have to say that a staggered crossing across a dual carraigeway with motorway style crash barriers and cars running red lights was not a great fix. The tunnel had anti social behavior but it’s amazing what a bright bulb can do to reduce this (see the bridge between riverview and deanrock for an example).

The current works on Sarsfield Road have helped somewhat improve the pedestrian experience in an area where all previous works introduced additional interaction between pedestrians and traffic, left more traffic lanes to cross, left footpaths which were too narrow and left drainage issues which meant the footpath on one side of the road was unusable in bad weather.

No change to number of traffic lanes but positive change for the large number of people for whom it no longer feels like they’re walking along the edge of a motorway.

It greatly reduced it. Immediately. People would leave their trolleys over there as well, and that stopped.

You think it reduced it maybe because crossing the road became more difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Who's bright idea was it to make the cycle lanes the same colour tarmac as the road? These things are just begging for someone to accidentally drive up on them, particularly at night time. In fact I'd be surprised if it hasn't already happened as they've got cones blocking them now to prevent anyone from using them. They did the same on Skehard Road and it's just as dumb there. Coming from the Mahon link road turning left onto Skehard you could very easily mount the cycle path there as you'd be naturally hugging the left side as you turn. I've almost done it once or twice myself.

Paint them red or something, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If they can't see those fresh white lines maybe they shouldn't be driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Who's bright idea was it to make the cycle lanes the same colour tarmac as the road? These things are just begging for someone to accidentally drive up on them, particularly at night time. In fact I'd be surprised if it hasn't already happened as they've got cones blocking them now to prevent anyone from using them. They did the same on Skehard Road and it's just as dumb there. Coming from the Mahon link road turning left onto Skehard you could very easily mount the cycle path there as you'd be naturally hugging the left side as you turn. I've almost done it once or twice myself.

Paint them red or something, lads.

Somebody should have put a few cats eyes/ yellow paint there so as to mark it when they were doing the construction. Any day now somebody is going to mount that with a car and possibly hit something. People have done it on Washington Street which has a clear divide, the part after the bus stop going towards Sarsfield road doesn't so that is where I expect to see an accident. I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

TheChizler wrote: »

For the longest time there were no white lines on Skehard, it was just the road suddenly morphing into a bike lane right in front of you as you came around the corner.

There still aren't painted lines in Wilton, though as I said, there are cones blocking it off right now. How difficult can it be to paint some lines especially considering the rest of the road has them? Really odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

So remove all cats eyes or alternative colour lining from all lined roads?
    It's an added safety feature, esp as there are some people who are driving that should't.

So remove all cats eyes or alternative colour lining from all lined roads?
    It's an added safety feature, esp as there are some people who are driving that should't.
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The bigger issues around that area are actually the hill on the other side where the driving test centre is.

Ironically, it has some of the worst road markings and worst maintained signage and traffic lights anywhere in Cork City.

No.
    Ok, so your post had no value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

If there isn’t a sign indicating cycle lane near bye, there’s no way to tell if it’s a cycle lane or parking. It’s a mess.

Me saying a driver should be capable of seeing a line/kerb is not the same as saying that we should remove all safety features from the roads. I would think that posts putting words in peoples mouths aren't of much value either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

after 4-5 weeks... manhole covers already sinking..

IMG-4261.jpg

IMG-4260.jpg

IMG-4262.jpg

IMG-4263.jpg

IMG-4265.jpg

IMG-4268.jpg

IMG-4269.jpg

these lights outside ESB, constantly red. No cars pulling out of ESB and no pedestrians crossing the road. Just a bunch of cars waiting for no reason whatsoever.

IMG-4270.jpg

they supposed to resurface it all the way to the roundabout. And paint a new pair of arrows. This is not what it supposed to look like.

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

Me saying a driver should be capable of seeing a line/kerb is not the same as saying that we should remove all safety features from the roads. I would think that posts putting words in peoples mouths aren't of much value either.
    I didn't say removing all safety features.... speaking of putting words in mouth and non value posts.

I didn't say removing all safety features.... speaking of putting words in mouth and non value posts.

Well just the ones you said then Mr.

Can we stop this petty quarreling? You clearly took me up wrong.

Well just the ones you said then Mr.
    I didn't put words into your mouth, I asked you a question, hence the use of "?".
    And I didn't say anything towards removing all safety features.
    So just the one for you actually.
    Can we stop this petty quarreling? You clearly took me up wrong.
    You replied with a "no". Great elaboration and clarity on your point.
    "If they can't see those fresh white lines maybe they shouldn't be driving...". The poster didn't say they couldn't see them, but to clearly identify them as cycle lanes. Not sure what the issue is with doing that.

Why-Does-Caffeine-Make-Me-Tired-.jpg

The lanes are both raised off the kerb and too small to fit a car, if we're thinking of the same ones. Maybe extra markings, which I haven't said we should get rid of at all, would help avoid this situation (which has only been speculated will happen) but my point still stands independently of that.

• Advertisement

Diabhalta wrote: »
    pointless giant image
    A World of content on the Net, but you’re reading something that bores you? Ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Loving the magic-start and magic-end cycle lanes.

Some similar efforts have gone in to Tivoli too. Using these on a bicycle would be a death trap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

They have a cycle lane in that bus lane as you turn in -thats going to kill someone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Having driven it a few times, it seems to me that the lanes have been narrowed, especially from Wilton Roundabout to the Tesco entrance. Has anybody else noticed or am I being daft?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ianobrien wrote: »
    Having driven it a few times, it seems to me that the lanes have been narrowed, especially from Wilton Roundabout to the Tesco entrance. Has anybody else noticed or am I being daft?

Could well be the case as a measure to slow down traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Could well be the case as a measure to slow down traffic.

That road is rarely clear to get a good speed up anyway, between red lights at the pedestrian crossing, the main junction with Tesco and further down at the ESB.

That road is rarely clear to get a good speed up anyway, between red lights at the pedestrian crossing, the main junction with Tesco and further down at the ESB.
    Na, people frequently drove down it at speeds well above 50. Definitely less of it since the lanes were narrowed a bit.

well this seems to be a problem now and it's not the new surface causing it. It's t-h-e l-i-g-h-t-s outside the ESB! Of course I'm not waiting in that queue :pac:

20190124-121433.jpg

A car park really, on the road. Cars just static most of the time.

20190201-153704.jpg

Fella in the Corolla just realised this leads nowhere and decided to overtake that line of cars. Genius! :D ...

20190201-153714.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Was going through the sarsfield rd roundabout today and traffic from Wilton was backed up all the way around the roundabout back onto the dual carrigeway. This was at 3pm. Really makes me question is the proposed expansion feasible if we are seeing queues this long on a sunday at 3pm.

• Advertisement

Idiots...

20190225-142047.jpg

20190225-142053.jpg

Advertisement