Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton road works

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Doesn't that mean you can take the first left (arrow to the left) and end up in the right hand lane towards CUH or straight ahead, the second exit towards Dennehys Cross? There is a 3rd lane at the very top of that road for taking the 3rd exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Doesn't that mean you can take the first left (arrow to the left) and end up in the right hand lane towards CUH or straight ahead, the second exit towards Dennehys Cross? There is a 3rd lane at the very top of that road for taking the 3rd exit.

It's more about the cracks in new tarmac...

I don't have almost nothing bad to say about the RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

grogi wrote: »
    It's more about the cracks in new tarmac...

I don't have almost nothing bad to say about the RB.
    Is that new tarmac? I don't remember them resurfacing that section, you can see the old lines.

Edit: you can see where the new tarmac ends before the worn section.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is that new tarmac? I don't remember them resurfacing that section, you can see the old lines.

Edit: you can see where the new tarmac ends before the worn section.

Looking at it again, it does look like they stopped the new tarmac about 6 feet short given the state of the road. They were probably told to stop at the shore.

i still do not understand the bus lane at the turn to Tesco, its stupid and confusing for loads. Plus you can get points for being in that stupid ill thought out bus lane of about 100 meters that the buses do not even use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

i still do not understand the bus lane at the turn to Tesco, its stupid and confusing for loads. Plus you can get points for being in that stupid ill thought out bus lane of about 100 meters that the buses do not even use

Probably some stupid regulation. I was annoyed originally by people entering it before they should but at this stage it's better that people use it from the start as the bus never uses it and if everyone stayed out of it until the top the queue in the lane to the right of it would be back to the roundabout when the lights are red.

mordeith wrote: »
    Probably some stupid regulation. I was annoyed originally by people entering it before they should but at this stage it's better that people use it from the start as the bus never uses it and if everyone stayed out of it until the top the queue in the lane to the right of it would be back to the roundabout when the lights are red.

Regretably, but I must agree....

mordeith wrote: »

Yeah totally agree, it would back up the roundabout even worse. Problem is that it only takes the gardai to go out once, give a load of penalty points and then it will back onto the roundabout. I can only imagine the chaos at busy times like xmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Out there earlier place is a complete nightmare traffic backed up everywhere no escaping it
    Nice one city council

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

What an epic fail. Who is responsible for this? Who is that total imbecile? Names???

Fuk-You-Assholes04.jpg

Fuk-You-Assholes01.jpg

Fuk-You-Assholes02.jpg

Fuk-You-Assholes03.jpg

Fuk-You-Assholes09.jpg

Fuk-You-Assholes11.jpg

Fuk-You-Assholes10.jpg

• Advertisement

and btw. those drain covers along the kerbs (on both sides) they are ok now, but won't be in the future.. the amount of cars and lorries driving over them will cause them to sink and the surface around them to crack.

What exactly is the stupidity? The damaged places are old sections of road. They had to stop somewhere.

What exactly is the stupidity? The damaged places are old sections of road. They had to stop somewhere.

I disagree, they supposed to continue, all the way down to Denney's cross. Simple.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I disagree, they supposed to continue, all the way down to Denney's cross. Simple.
    Well it's hardly like they forgot to finish or made a mistake where they stopped a km short through incompetence. If theres a plan for it they'll complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Isn't there works planned in the future to redo the road all the way to Dennehys cross? I think it involves CPO of some of the gardens along the road so it can be widened.

I can understand why they wouldn't resurface all the way yet as they would only end up doing it again shortly after when the road is widened.

As well as that aren't there plans to turn the Wilton Roundabout into a light controlled junction?

That whole road from Sarsfield rd. roundabout to Victoria cross (and further to town and over the bridge towards north side) is one of the busiest in the city. The road surface itself is bad for quite a long time. How long till they will sort this out? Will it be done before the end of the summer? of course not! Everything takes forever here.

These roads should be in the best possible condition because most people use them. They supposed to be resurfaced years ago, not at the end of this year or when are they planning it.

IMG-4254.jpg

IMG-4257.jpg

IMG-4221.jpg

IMG-4231.jpg

some cyclist will seriously hurt himself, this picture was taken in december and I remeber it was like this last summer when I cycled there.

IMG_4279.jpg

Btw. regarding the widening. I don't know why is everyone staying out of the bus lane all the time. The bus lane is for buses and cyclists only during certain times mon-fri. Yet everyone is in that one regular lane thinking they should stay away. If people would use both lanes and then just use the zipper method at the end before dennehy's cross it would make a difference..

I don't think widening is necessary, just get one of these big mobile digital signs to tell people to use the bus lane at certain times and everyone will learn to use it. Simple as that. That's what I would do first and then see what happens.

But no, let's come up with more expensive idea like paying hundreds of thousands of euros to home owners along the road and pay another few millions to build extra lane which will probably solve nothing.

I think turing the sign they way it should be would be very helpful. This way nobody can see it.

bus-lane.jpg

this is an ideal spot for the mobile sign.

buslane01.jpg

I agree people should/could use the bus lane outside of the hours but exactly what problem are you solving there?

The widening is to facilitate a southbound bus lane afaik, since southbound traffic is regularly backed up to Western Road that's very much needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

When the widening is complete, the road should consist of a cycle lane, bus lane and driving lane heading both into and away from the city.

I totally agree with vehicles using the bus lane outside of restricted hours, however, at the moment drivers in the bus lane must yield to traffic in the normal driving lane. A lot of drivers in this country are not aware how a zipper merge should work.

I can also give a bit of personal insight as to why the sign displaying bus lane restrictions is facing the wrong direction. That footpath is quite tight as is and I'd imagine someone has turned it after maybe hitting there head on it.
    To give an example, I was walking on that footpath heading towards Dennehy's a few years ago when a person came walking against me. I went to the roadside part of the footpath and (ironically) an ambulance travelling in the bus lane clipped my shoulder with its wing mirror.

So yes considering this is a main artery into the city, it's vital that the road is widened.

The sign is facing out of the hedge because 4 or 5 years ago it was facing INTO the hedge until I turned it the way its currently facing! It would have been half buried in the hedge if it was turned 90 degrees to the road.

• Advertisement

So they'll make an extra bus/cycle lane but people won't use it (northbound lane is an example) and even if they will it will make no difference because people don't know how to merge.

This place is doomed.

So they'll make an extra bus/cycle lane but people won't use it (northbound lane is an example) and even if they will it will make no difference because people don't know how to merge.

This place is doomed.
    The bus will use it which will make a big difference when it's busy and bikes won't have to share a long uphill stretch with other vehicles. What else would you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Isn't there works planned in the future to redo the road all the way to Dennehys cross? I think it involves CPO of some of the gardens along the road so it can be widened.

I can understand why they wouldn't resurface all the way yet as they would only end up doing it again shortly after when the road is widened.

Yeah proposals to CPO some of the gardens alright but hasn't been finalised yet afaik. Here's recent article on it for anyone interested:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardens-under-threat-from-cork-bus-lane-proposal-904885.html

The bus will use it which will make a big difference when it's busy and bikes won't have to share a long uphill stretch with other vehicles. What else would you expect?

I would expect cars to use that lane when they are allowed to. But as we can see right now nobody is doing it. Because everything outside Dublin is just one big village and that includes people's limited thinking, where merging into one lane is a difficult task to perform. Obviously if somebody bought their driving license at a post office for couple of quid they have no clue about rules of the road. One person is enough to fk it up for everyone else.

I fail to see why the place is doomed if cars don't use the bus lane outside of bus hours.

I would expect cars to use that lane when they are allowed to. But as we can see right now nobody is doing it.

Using it outside of the hours is more hassle than benefit. The traffic flows pretty smooth outside of the traffic peak and you gain nothing by going there. You'd only get rage from others when the bus lane ends.

Using it outside of the hours is more hassle than benefit. The traffic flows pretty smooth outside of the traffic peak and you gain nothing by going there. You'd only get rage from others when the bus lane ends.
    You also give up right of way to people using the right-hand lane to overtake perfectly legally.

I'll use the bus lane if there's no significant queue at the merge point, or if traffic is moving fast enough that I can stay behind the car moving on the right so I'm not skipping the queue.

The only real benefit I can see for using it (apart from strictly obeying the 'drive on the left' rule) is that it gives people coming from Dennehy's Cross more opportunity to safely overtake people on bikes who might be going slower up the hill; you shouldn't overtake there unless you can move fully into the other lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

One small sign, turned the wrong way around! No wonder no one is using it.

One small sign, turned the wrong way around! No wonder no one is using it.

It's not the sign fault to be honest. If someone wants to use the lane legally, they look for the hours. Lots of drivers will never use a bus lane, even outside the hours...

That's the generalisation of Irish drivers - but we want to be 'polite'. If something can be seen as jumping the queue (even if it is perfectly legal and actually reduces congestion), the motorists will tend not to do it.

Not far away, the westbound Bishopstown Rd is a great example. Two lanes that 300 m later merge to one in front of Aldi. The left lane is notoriously jammed up and often blocks the traffic lights in front of the hospital, while the right one is almost empty with only 'jerks' like me using it...

• Advertisement

That's the generalisation of Irish drivers - but we want to be 'polite'. If something can be seen as jumping the queue (even if it is perfectly legal and actually reduces congestion), the motorists will tend not to do it.
    Or maybe more so that when other people think you're skipping the queue they'll refuse to let you merge.

Advertisement