Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton road works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

TheChizler wrote: »
    Or maybe more so that when other people think you're skipping the queue they'll refuse to let you merge.

Yeah see the same coming from Wilton to Bishopstown with the merging lane by Aldi. Just other drivers ignorance really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Or maybe more so that when other people think you're skipping the queue they'll refuse to let you merge.

Typical Dog in the Manger behaviour - they will punish those "skipping the queue", but will not do it themselves, causing more congestion in the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

grogi wrote: »
    Typical Dog in the Manger behaviour - they will punish those "skipping the queue", but will not do it themselves, causing more congestion in the result.
    That's particularly bad down at Dennehy's Cross during bus lane hours actually, the people who choose to queue in the bus lane when they shouldn't will zip in front of you bumper to bumper at the merge point if you use the right-hand lane like you're supposed to, even though they should yield. I suspect because they perceive you're intentionally skipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

That's particularly bad down at Dennehy's Cross during bus lane hours actually, the people who choose to queue in the bus lane when they shouldn't will zip in front of you bumper to bumper at the merge point if you use the right-hand lane like you're supposed to, even though they should yield. I suspect because they perceive you're intentionally skipping.

Agree. There is now a plan to 'Wilton Road Corridor" to do away with the right hand turn at Denney’s’ cross in the future. So the lane is going to be straight down towards Victoria cross

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Avoid this area like the plague -Traffic lights at esb have cars backed up during quiet periods no mind peak times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Wilton project labelled draconian, expensive and unnecessary
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Wilton-project-labelled-draconian-expensive-and-unnecessary-61ea2e06-089c-4855-989a-4e16acf99f6f-ds

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

Traffic lights at the Wilton garden, seriously?

This whole thing is a joke. They want to make extra space for buses and cyclists but the cars will still use only one lane each way so it solves nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Wilton project labelled draconian, expensive and unnecessary
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Wilton-project-labelled-draconian-expensive-and-unnecessary-61ea2e06-089c-4855-989a-4e16acf99f6f-ds

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

Traffic lights at the Wilton garden, seriously?

This whole thing is a joke. They want to make extra space for buses and cyclists but the cars will still use only one lane each way so it solves nothing really.

Council/government finally trying to improve public transport routes around the city and all your concerned about is cars.

When public transport improves, it'll be more desirable for people to leave the car at home and take the bus or cycle. Thus resulting in less cars with only one occupant clogging up the roads during busy periods.

So yes I can clearly see how this is "solving nothing".

That is not true. People won't be leaving cars just because the buses are suddenly on time. Wake up. Cycling in winter while it's really cold and raining? I don't think so.

Especially in Cork. It's just not the best place for public transport no matter how many bus lanes they build.

This is perfectly consistent with the CCC moving focus from private cars to other ways of transport, such as buses, bikes etc.

Alternatively we could build highways thorugh the city center...

That is not true. People won't be leaving cars just because the buses are suddenly on time. Wake up. Cycling in winter while it's really cold and raining? I don't think so.

Especially in Cork. It's just not the best place for public transport no matter how many bus lanes they build.

People will ditch the car if the bus is faster than a car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I'll give you a perfect example so. A friend of mine moved to the city for a new job in January. For her first week she took the bus. But then she reverted to using her car due to inconsistent timing of the bus she had to get.
    I highly doubt she's the only person in all of the city that has had to do it.

Sure the winters may not be as appealing to cycle into the city some days. But at least you would have a much safer route to do it if you decide to cycle.

Positive plans for Cork moving forward. Yet you seem to be struggling so see that.

Do you actually believe bus Éireann is capable of showing up on time? They're useless for years and years. Making bus lanes for their buses will make very little difference. Besides, it's not really only about getting from A to B. What if you want to do something else after work instead of going home straight away? Buses follow only certain routes, cars can go absolutely anywhere. Are you really gonna be dragging your shopping with you when you have a car outside your house? Come on...

People will ditch the car if the bus is faster than a car...

It's not just about the speed of the bus. You have to wait till the bus comes and even if it's on time you are waiting at a bus stop (car leaves immediately, bus arrives at a bus stop at a certain time. You also have to walk for a while to get to the bus stop etc.).

7 minutes. Today, around 4pm it took me 7 minutes to get from CIT to CUH. Moderate traffic. The bus stops every now and then, people get out and then in. All kinds of delays. Bus will never be as efficient as cars. Never. If you think so then you obviously don't own a car.

So while you're still sitting in the bus I'm already in Wilton doing my shopping. It's very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Bus will never be as efficient as cars. Never. If you think so then you obviously don't own a car.

So while you're still sitting in the bus I'm already in Wilton doing my shopping. It's very simple.

Of course what you mean to say is "bus will never be as INefficient as cars, right?
    Cars are a horrendously inefficient means of transport.

I own a car, so that qualifies me to quote apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Bus will never be as efficient as cars. Never. If you think so then you obviously don't own a car.

What do you regard as "efficient"?

It's not just about the speed of the bus. You have to wait till the bus comes and even if it's on time you are waiting at a bus stop (car leaves immediately, bus arrives at a bus stop at a certain time. You also have to walk for a while to get to the bus stop etc.).

7 minutes. Today, around 4pm it took me 7 minutes to get from CIT to CUH. Moderate traffic. The bus stops every now and then, people get out and then in. All kinds of delays. Bus will never be as efficient as cars. Never. If you think so then you obviously don't own a car.

Despite buses having much better potential for efficiency (up to 330 pmpg vs 110 for a car) - it is not about the efficiency, but required footprint.

Your car took you from CIT to CUH. It had to be parked at CIT and after left somewhere and CUH. If you add the time required to park the car, especially at the heart of urban areas, the time difference stops being so huge. On top of that the car occupied roughly 10m2 of road at every moment of your journey.

The bus does not need to be parked anywhere, it just leaves. With an average of 10 people on the bus (or 50 in the rush hours), the average footprint per passenger is much smaller as well.

The city simply doesn't have room in the roads for everyone in cars.

What do you regard as "efficient"?

I meant time efficient. The whole bus thing just takes forever. In Cork anyway. It takes me 10 minutes to walk to the bus stop from my house in Montenotte. In a car I roll down the hill in about 5 minutes. The bus is huge, suspension not so great. The whole thing rattles. Bus fare keeps going up and up and up.
    Despite buses having much better potential for efficiency (up to 330 pmpg vs 110 for a car) - it is not about the efficiency, but required footprint.

Your car took you from CIT to CUH. It had to be parked at CIT and after left somewhere and CUH. If you add the time required to park the car, especially at the heart of urban areas, the time difference stops being so huge. On top of that the car occupied roughly 10m2 of road at every moment of your journey.

The bus does not need to be parked anywhere, it just leaves. With an average of 10 people on the bus (or 50 in the rush hours), the average footprint per passenger is much smaller as well.

yes but it follows only a certain route, in a car you can change a plan instantly. And parking the car really isn't an issue. Even if it takes 5 minutes it's still better than the bus.

another thing is comfort, and bus is nowhere near a car is in terms of comfort. No wind, it's warm inside, you have music, heated seats.. it's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I meant time efficient. The whole bus thing just takes forever. In Cork anyway. It takes me 10 minutes to walk to the bus stop from my house in Montenotte. In a car I roll down the hill in about 5 minutes. The bus is huge, suspension not so great. The whole thing rattles. Bus fare keeps going up and up and up.

yes but it follows only a certain route, in a car you can change a plan instantly. And parking the car really isn't an issue. Even if it takes 5 minutes it's still better than the bus.

another thing is comfort, and bus is nowhere near a car is in terms of comfort. No wind, it's warm inside, you have music, heated seats.. it's that simple.
    You're missing that point. Not everyone has a car in the city, and if they did, then traffic would really grind to a total halt. Yes, a car has great benefits and comfort; but in a city that's trying to grow (hopefully upwards), buses/trams are needed, and need to be prioritized (and as a service, they need to be dramatically improved).

There are two reasons traffic isn't flowing freely towards the northside from Dennehy's cross in the afternoon (building bus lanes and cycling lanes between dennehy's cross and wilton roudnabout won't help in this case)

1. All it takes is one car wanting to go left at Victoria Cross and then everyone is just waiting for them to get out of the way so they can continue straight towards northside. Luckily not many people are turning left and if they do they just ignore the red light and continue few meters just to let everyone go. Fk the red light, just let us all go thanks. That's why I am always in the right lane and then I just squeeze in somehow.

Almost everyone in this picture wants to go across the river.. going further towards the northside (Blarney or Blackpool or whatever..).

shi-tty-Traffic.jpg

2. The second reason (and basically the most imporant thing that's causing the traffic crawling) is the layout of the junction right after the Thomas Davis bridge.

Everyone stops there looking left and right and the cars are just not there. Vast majority of cars want to turn right. Lee road is not that busy to be honest. The layout is outdated and should be changed. Obviously, it's not the 80's anymore.

And getting to this spot from the other way (turning right at AIB) is absolutely impossible, the lights will let only 4-5 cars max and sometimes there's nowhere to go because there is a line of cars in the way. Why, because everyone is stopping after the bridge for a few seconds. Pointless.

btw. work commencing on 11th of March? That's 12 working days ago...

shi-tty-Traffic01.jpg

So far almost nothing has been done here, during the day you don't really see anyone working there. My guess is this will take like another 2 months at this pace.

nothinghappening01.jpg

fancy new kerbs on the right, and that's pretty much it.

nothinghappening.jpg

Cycle lanes... okay..

this guy doesn't care that he is cycling against the buses apparently. Well there isn't many buses using that lane anyway so who cares right? This isn't Germany after all, rules don't really matter.

asshat001.jpg

this guy...

asshat002.jpg

this is from last week... wow, somebody in a car or lorry or whatever is in for a surprise... To be honest, if somebody would knock him off the bike I would be laughing :) ... what an idiot :D ... he's wearing a helmet so he's prepared lol :)

asshat003.jpg

• Advertisement

I used to hate stinky buses with the smelly plebs, and their plastic bags, and hacking and spluttering, steaming up the windows, auld wans looking for a chat.

But its the most efficient way to move people.
    Cars might be more convenient and comfortable, for the individual drivers. Until they're stuck in traffic with everyone of the same view as yourself.

Before making some big decisions I personally (if I could do something) I would start with the junction layout and maybe adjust the traffic light intervals and see what happens. Let more cars through when you have a free flowing traffic after the bridge.

Cars might be more convenient and comfortable, for the individual drivers. Until they're stuck in traffic with everyone of the same view as yourself.

yeah but you're still stuck in a nice personal space that's warm, clean and cozy... ;)

yeah but you're still stuck in a nice personal space that's warm, clean and cozy... ;)

Enjoy your traffic!
    I'll keep an eye out for you as i sail past someday, nonchalantly eating a bagel and reading my Times. Might even pull a wheelie.
    :)

Cycle lanes... okay..

Do I sense a bit of jealously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

There are two reasons traffic isn't flowing freely towards the northside from Dennehy's cross in the afternoon (building bus lanes and cycling lanes between dennehy's cross and wilton roudnabout won't help in this case)

1. All it takes is one car wanting to go left at Victoria Cross and then everyone is just waiting for them to get out of the way so they can continue straight towards northside. Luckily not many people are turning left and if they do they just ignore the red light and continue few meters just to let everyone go. Fk the red light, just let us all go thanks. That's why I am always in the right lane and then I just squeeze in somehow.

Almost everyone in this picture wants to go across the river.. going further towards the northside (Blarney or Blackpool or whatever..).

shi-tty-Traffic.jpg

2. The second reason (and basically the most imporant thing that's causing the traffic crawling) is the layout of the junction right after the Thomas Davis bridge.

Everyone stops there looking left and right and the cars are just not there. Vast majority of cars want to turn right. Lee road is not that busy to be honest. The layout is outdated and should be changed. Obviously, it's not the 80's anymore.

And getting to this spot from the other way (turning right at AIB) is absolutely impossible, the lights will let only 4-5 cars max and sometimes there's nowhere to go because there is a line of cars in the way. Why, because everyone is stopping after the bridge for a few seconds. Pointless.

btw. work commencing on 11th of March? That's 12 working days ago...

shi-tty-Traffic01.jpg

So far almost nothing has been done here, during the day you don't really see anyone working there. My guess is this will take like another 2 months at this pace.

nothinghappening01.jpg

fancy new kerbs on the right, and that's pretty much it.

nothinghappening.jpg

This post sums up everything that is wrong and what I (and everyone) experience on our routes.

The traffic today around 5 50 pm was ridiculous.

And that ****ing left turn/right light situation is annoying (mentioned above )

The lane of traffic is huge over it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Bus fare keeps going up and up and up.

Well that's not really true. Huge swathes of cork city and its urban hinterland have seen large decreases in the cost of bus tickets over the last two years. Bring a leap card and tax saver ticket into the equation and it's quite an affordable way to get to around(If you don't use leap or tax saver for regular commuters you deserve to pay the stupid tax) The biggest issue is the poor service delivered by Bus Eireann who couldn't run a piss up in a brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Cycle lanes... okay..

this guy doesn't care that he is cycling against the buses apparently. Well there isn't many buses using that lane anyway so who cares right? This isn't Germany after all, rules don't really matter.

this guy...

this is from last week... wow, somebody in a car or lorry or whatever is in for a surprise... To be honest, if somebody would knock him off the bike I would be laughing :) ... what an idiot :D ... he's wearing a helmet so he's prepared lol :)

It'd makes a change from those people laughing at you sitting in your car though, right?

You didn't need to post photos, we got the idea from your previous posts: sitting in a car stuck in traffic is good, everyone using sustainable transport is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

wally1990 wrote: »
    This post sums up everything that is wrong and what I (and everyone) experience on our routes.

And that ****ing left turn/right light situation is annoying (mentioned above )

The lane of traffic is huge over it

Traffic complaing about traffic eh. If each of those cars heading citybound in the first photo was single or double occupied, they would all fit in a double decker bus with room to spare. Yes, not everyone can get the bus but threre are is an awful lot that could and would if it was priorotsed and quicker and driving.

• Advertisement

wally1990 wrote: »

It's usually bad between 4pm-6pm during the afternoon rush hour and in the morning before 8pm. Other than that it's actually grand.

Tuesday 2pm, I rolled down the hill all the way down to Dennehy's cross without stopping.... It's was like Sunday traffic really..

Pffffff.jpg
    cc wrote: »
    Traffic complaing about traffic eh.

It's not the traffic that's the problem, it's the layout of one junction and traffic light intervals.

---

Seems to me a bit weird that Cork city council comes up with an idea of widening the road without trying something else first. One of the many reasons you see people on facebook in the comments section using the phrase "backwards Ireland" often. Stupid people making important decisions wasting taxpayers money. And then spending more money to fix the fk ups.

Cork city council, if you are reading this (and I know you are) please get some real traffic engineers (maybe German, or English...) to help you with this. You are obviously struggling on your own so yeah... they wouldn't say no and take this as a challenge. They have a lot of experience with urban planning, so it would be wise to use this knowhledge to everyone's benefit over here.

Also, fix the fuggin roads!!!

Advertisement