Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton road works

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

bus lanes, it's a car park sometimes...

Parked-Cun-ts.jpg

they love doing their work during the afternoon rush hour. In the morning not even one person working there... what's this about?

Afternoon-Rush-Rd-Wrks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's an incredibly good quality dashcam you've got there, mind if I ask what brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Diabhalta wrote: »
    It's usually bad between 4pm-6pm during the afternoon rush hour and in the morning before 8pm. Other than that it's actually grand.

Tuesday 2pm, I rolled down the hill all the way down to Dennehy's cross without stopping.... It's was like Sunday traffic really..

It's not the traffic that's the problem, it's the layout of one junction and traffic light intervals.

---

Seems to me a bit weird that Cork city council comes up with an idea of widening the road without trying something else first. One of the many reasons you see people on facebook in the comments section using the phrase "backwards Ireland" often. Stupid people making important decisions wasting taxpayers money. And then spending more money to fix the fk ups.

Cork city council, if you are reading this (and I know you are) please get some real traffic engineers (maybe German, or English...) to help you with this. You are obviously struggling on your own so yeah... they wouldn't say no and take this as a challenge. They have a lot of experience with urban planning, so it would be wise to use this knowhledge to everyone's benefit over here.

Also, fix the fuggin roads!!!

I really don't want to be preachy here but I can't help noticing that all the photos you've posted seem to be in glorious daylight. In relatively heavy city traffic. If the distance is short I humbly suggest IF it's possible for you that you try - even once - to cycle your commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I really don't want to be preachy here but I can't help noticing that all the photos you've posted seem to be in glorious daylight. In relatively heavy city traffic. If the distance is short I humbly suggest IF it's possible for you that you try - even once - to cycle your commute.

Dhera he's grand sitting in his comfy car, with heated seats, listening to his Celine Dion greatest hits, slowly going purple with rage, while we whizz past!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I really don't want to be preachy here

Yet that's exactly how you come across......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yet that's exactly how you come across......

It was not how I intended it. I drive myself and understand that not everyone has the option to cycle to work for many reasons.

Feel free to correct me on my tone: I genuinely don't know how it could be made any less preachy?

I am VERY gently suggesting that IF it's possible they should throw caution to the wind and attempt the cycle commute just once. It's often not until it's attempted that people realise how viable (and sometimes even enjoyable!) it is. Particularly in the kind of weather we're so lucky to have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

It's usually bad between 4pm-6pm during the afternoon rush hour and in the morning before 8pm. Other than that it's actually grand.

Tuesday 2pm, I rolled down the hill all the way down to Dennehy's cross without stopping.... It's was like Sunday traffic really..

Pffffff.jpg

It's not the traffic that's the problem, it's the layout of one junction and traffic light intervals.

---

Seems to me a bit weird that Cork city council comes up with an idea of widening the road without trying something else first. One of the many reasons you see people on facebook in the comments section using the phrase "backwards Ireland" often. Stupid people making important decisions wasting taxpayers money. And then spending more money to fix the fk ups.

Cork city council, if you are reading this (and I know you are) please get some real traffic engineers (maybe German, or English...) to help you with this. You are obviously struggling on your own so yeah... they wouldn't say no and take this as a challenge. They have a lot of experience with urban planning, so it would be wise to use this knowhledge to everyone's benefit over here.

Also, fix the fuggin roads!!!

If you are going to quote me, quote the entire post please

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Pffffff.jpg
    Tsk tsk, should have been in the Bus lane at 2pm ;)

TheChizler wrote: »
    Tsk tsk, should have been in the Bus lane at 2pm ;)

I am using both lanes at once :D ... half of the car in the bus lane, the other one in the regular lane lol

• Advertisement

I don't understand what's this about. It takes almost 5 seconds for the lights to turn green once the light for pedestrians turned red. Once I see it's red for pedestrians and I'm first in the row I just go. This definitely isn't right.

Dopes02.jpg

as previously mentioned, another stupidity... the bus lane. Cop on the right on a bike not a care in the world. Obviously, what can you do...

WTFBus-Lane-Wilton.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

I don't understand what's this about. It takes almost 5 seconds for the lights to turn green once the light for pedestrians turned red. Once I see it's red for pedestrians and I'm first in the row I just go. This definitely isn't right

It’s for the same reason that the lights at a crossroads only go green 2 or 3 seconds after the other set get a red - to allow people who started crossing on a green to finish crossing.
    In this case someone crossing on a green man has 5 lanes plus the central divide to get across. If they’re not too fast on their feet they might only be crossing the 4th or 5th lane by the time you’ve had enough and decide to drive through the red light.

That delay before you get a green light in your car ensures people at the kerb don’t start crossing, but those already crossing have enough time to make it the whole way across before cars get the green.

sheff_ wrote: »
    It’s for the same reason that the lights at a crossroads only go green 2 or 3 seconds after the other set get a red - to allow people who started crossing on a green to finish crossing.
    In this case someone crossing on a green man has 5 lanes plus the central divide to get across. If they’re not too fast on their feet they might only be crossing the 4th or 5th lane by the time you’ve had enough and decide to drive through the red light.

That delay before you get a green light in your car ensures people at the kerb don’t start crossing, but those already crossing have enough time to make it the whole way across before cars get the green.

What happened to the good old flashing yellow?

so... the layout is staying same after the Wellington Bridge which means the current situation is not changing. Cars stopping at a junction looking left and right, causing long tailbacks all the way to Dillon's cross. Good job, well done.

btw. the work started two and half months ago and it's still far from finished.

cun-ts006.jpg

Victoria cross, resurface when? Couple of months now?

guess what, the road started sinking after the bridge. These two pictures are one week old and they since went back and it's still a mess.

cun-ts005.jpg

cun-ts004.jpg

Two years? not even 6 months in this case.

60465128-10210651190074580-6191393114658177024-n.jpg

What happened to the good old flashing yellow?

What happened to not driving through red lights?

What happened to not driving through red lights?

Can't drive through a red light when there's cars ahead of you duh.

Really?
    Once I see it's red for pedestrians and I'm first in the row I just go.

Once I see it's red for pedestrians and I'm first in the row I just go. This definitely isn't right.

as previously mentioned, another stupidity... the bus lane. Cop on the right on a bike not a care in the world. Obviously, what can you do...

Fantastic post!
    In the same breath, admits to breaking lights and decries cops not enforcing traffic rules.

oh jeeez, driving through a red light when elsewhere it's flashing yellow. What a disaster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

oh jeeez, driving through a red light when elsewhere it's flashing yellow. What a disaster!

Potentially yes. Seriously, if you can’t understand what’s wrong with that, you shouldn’t be on the road.

And you wonder why we've traffic isues.

Potentially yes. Seriously, if you can’t understand what’s wrong with that, you shouldn’t be on the road.
    And you wonder why we've traffic isues.

49245209-2225510621002603-1835369873543266304-n.jpg

49245209-2225510621002603-1835369873543266304-n.jpg

That you in your car as we cycle past you?

Can you provide an example of this ‘elsewhere’ which is a busy 5 lane dual carriageway?

Can you provide an example of this ‘elsewhere’ which is a busy 5 lane dual carriageway?

One pedestrian and a dozen of cars doesn't fall into category "busy".

One pedestrian and a dozen of cars doesn't fall into category "busy".

So you’re telling me Sarsfield Road between Wilton Road roundabout and the south ring isn’t a busy road :-D :-D :-D

That’s your best line yet!

Straight from the horses mouth
    That whole road from Sarsfield rd. roundabout to Victoria cross (and further to town and over the bridge towards north side) is one of the busiest in the city.

Advertisement