Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing sterilized bottles

• 11-10-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just looking for people's advice on what to do with sterilized bottles, have 4 bottles ATM and using a microwave sterilizer.. but according to the instructions on the sterilizer they only last for 3 hours once opened.. some people say to take them out and put them in the fridge or a cupboard..
    I don't know why but I just don't like the look of them sitting in the microwave sterilizer all day.. what do you do?? Or any suggestions like I read to put them in a sterilized lunchbox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's the formula that needs to be sterilised properly so it's safe. The bottles can stay in the steriliser so they stay clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Once the bottles are sterilised, the risk of contamination primarily comes from airborne particulate. That is, people breathing or cooking fumes, etc.

You keep them in the steriliser to reduce the risk of this particulate getting into the bottles.

If you don't want to keep them in the steriliser, then taking them out and immediately closing them up (keeping the teat covered!) and putting them in the fridge is an option. They will keep for 24 hours. Storing them in the cupboard is less optimal but an option.

If you take them out and close them up, then you gain nothing by putting them in a sterilised lunchbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

I used to take them out of steriliser immediately and keep them in fridge for up to 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

A pediatrician ask my wife a great question when she moved from breastfeeding to the bottle with our first and was worried about keeping bottles sterile ...

'How have you been sterilizing your nipples for the last 6 months' :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

mitresize5 wrote: »
    A pediatrician ask my wife a great question when she moved from breastfeeding to the bottle with our first and was worried about keeping bottles sterile ...

'How have you been sterilizing your nipples for the last 6 months' :-)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sjoyce87

Thanks for the replies everyone.. just new parents probably being too surgical and sterile, especially with all the different opinions you get online, off the midwives, family etc.. but thankfully we've calmed down as I'd be a fairly laid back person, it's just the bottles were freaking me out and the main thing is baby is flying..

Advertisement