Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I might need some help

Options
  • 11-10-2018 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭

Folks I think I may have a problem. PC was working fine last night i used it but I did some cable management earlier and now my two Corsair ML140 fans continue to rev up and down when I switch on the pc, I've also no output to the display.

I've unplugged and replugged all cables again, I've tried starting the PC with and without the GPU installed, I've swapped the the hdmi ports between onboard and GPU ports, I've tried the M2 SATA in different slots (always has a light on it) and I've tried different RAM slots.

All fans are spinning but only the Corsair ones keep reving.

If I start without those plugged in I still have no display output.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is a cable damaged? Did you nick something when managing the cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is a cable damaged? Did you nick something when managing the cables?

No I don't think so. Only rerouted the USB3 and GPU cable and both of those are well protected.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    No I don't think so. Only rerouted the USB3 and GPU cable and both of those are well protected.

Tried releasing any pressure on the GPU cable?

Tried releasing any pressure on the GPU cable?

I had an EVGA power link in the GPU and I've tried it with and without that. GPU cable isn't pulled tight.

Sounds like a short to me but then that's just my take on it.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a short to me but then that's just my take on it.

Motherboard shorting on the case?

Motherboard shorting on the case?

More likely something you've moved recently. Still thinking a kinked cable tbh.

More likely something you've moved recently. Still thinking a kinked cable tbh.

I'll rebuild it outside the case over the weekend so where I'll have more room to see everything and make sure nothing is kinked so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hold up, these the ML140s you got in the Amazon deal?

Cos I'm fúcked too; worked 1 time with the fans plugged in, turn it off to reroute the ML140s, and now it won't turn on at all!

Weird

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Hold up, these the ML140s you got in the Amazon deal?

Cos I'm fúcked too; worked 1 time with the fans plugged in, turn it off to reroute the ML140s, and now it won't turn on at all!

Yup that's them.

Unplugged them to move some other wires around, replugged everything and now the fans rev like mad and I've no display to the Monitor.

I take it you've tried plugging them back out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yup that's them.

Unplugged them to move some other wires around, replugged everything and now the fans rev like mad and I've no display to the Monitor.

Can you replace the new fans with the old ones if you have old fans?

I take it you've tried plugging them back out again?

I've tried rebooting with the fans unplugged and I still get no display output to the monitor.

Venom it's only a brand new build from last weekend so no other fans for the front of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'd remove every single cable, check the PSU ends of the cables are all fully seated into the PSU itself and then replace only the cables for CPU cooler or AIO power, both mobo power cables, chassis power/reset if no start button on the mobo, GPU power cables and GPU to monitor lead while double checking each of those for weird kinks or bends.

Have you tried plugging it out at the wall also? Sometimes helps.

Cheers lads, I'll try those this evening after work.

I just found this on on floor beside the PC this morning. I definitely didn't install it when I was originally building and I don't remember seeing it anywhere on any of the parts.

looks like a pin jumper

looks like a pin jumper

Does it need to be installed on two of the motherboard pins?

• Advertisement

possible,
    no one can guess.
    It could be from a HDD either

possible,
    no one can guess.
    It could be from a HDD either

I don't have any HDDs installed, just one M2 SATA.

It's probably your clear CMOS jumper. Get the motherboard manual out, locate the jumper points and see if they have a jumper on them. If not then reinstall it.

It's probably your clear CMOS jumper. Get the motherboard manual out, locate the jumper points and see if they have a jumper on them. If not then reinstall it.

I was looking at it last night actually. Here's the page with a jumper and CMOS mentioned. It doesn't really make sense to me though.

I was looking at it last night actually. Here's the page with a jumper and CMOS mentioned. It doesn't really make sense to me though.

Is there a jumper there? If so make sure it's on the correct two pins.

Is there a jumper there? If so make sure it's on the correct two pins.

No those pins are blank. It's on the bottom of the mobo to the left of he fan and power switch header.

I posted a photo of the build here last weekend when it was all working but I can't make out if that jumper is on them :confused:

No those pins are blank. It's on the bottom of the mobo to the left of he fan and power switch header.

I posted a photo of the build here last weekend when it was all working but I can't make out if that jumper is on them :confused:

It's possible that it fell off when building the machine and fell out of the case when last working on it. The extra pin is just to allow storage so the PC will work with it removed completely. Probably a red herring in this case.

It's possible that it fell off when building the machine and fell out of the case when last working on it. The extra pin is just to allow storage so the PC will work with it removed completely. Probably a red herring in this case.

Ok I'll try putting it on them at lunchtime and see will it boot. If not it'll be a unplug and replug job.

All put together outside the case and still no joy unfortunately. CPU and GPU fans both start when given power, CPU fan does not ramp up and just spins at a low RPM like it always did. Light on the M2 drive constantly on.

No kink's in any cable, all fully pushed in and the fan on the PSU is also spinning.

Am I meant to get a beep when I press the power button?

Edit:

I just got it to boot on the 6th go. Screen went mad flickering, then a big red line across the middle of it and it booted up to the ASRock screen.

Thank **** it's ok because I can't afford to lose anymore hair :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Sorry. Late to this show but my experiences with a similar issue might be relevant.

Bought an ASRock Mobo from Amazon Warehouse earlier this year and had monstrous problems with random starting and not starting and on the times it did not start the CPU cooler fan cycled through alternately going faster and slower non-stop.

I eventually discovered using multiple CMOS resets that the issue was somehow related to that.

No jumper came with the board (I bet the previous owner lost it). What I discovered is there were three pins on the CMOS reset header at the bottom of the board. You had to join the middle and right hand ones to reset the CMOS but the only way to make sure the computer started every time was to make sure the left pin and middle pin were permanently connected with a jumper unless you were trying to reset the CMOS.

The manual did NOT make this clear in any way.

The alternating high and low speed fan was exactly as you have described although it was the generic AMD cooler in this case rather than a AIO unit.

Advertisement