Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I might need some help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sorry. Late to this show but my experiences with a similar issue might be relevant.

Bought an ASRock Mobo from Amazon Warehouse earlier this year and had monstrous problems with random starting and not starting and on the times it did not start the CPU cooler fan cycled through alternately going faster and slower non-stop.

I eventually discovered using multiple CMOS resets that the issue was somehow related to that.

No jumper came with the board (I bet the previous owner lost it). What I discovered is there were three pins on the CMOS reset header at the bottom of the board. You had to join the middle and right hand ones to reset the CMOS but the only way to make sure the computer started every time was to make sure the left pin and middle pin were permanently connected with a jumper unless you were trying to reset the CMOS.

The manual did NOT make this clear in any way.

The alternating high and low speed fan was exactly as you have described although it was the generic AMD cooler in this case rather than a AIO unit.

It's funny because after the lads said it was a jumper I tried it at lunchtime but was still having no joy.

Took the whole thing apart this evening and set about rebuilding outside the case and it worked after a few tries.

May make sure that jumper is marked very important from now on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's funny because after the lads said it was a jumper I tried it at lunchtime but was still having no joy.

Took the whole thing apart this evening and set about rebuilding outside the case and it worked after a few tries.

May make sure that jumper is marked very important from now on pacman.gif

What are your system specs? You mention it's a new build and it made me wonder if you have overclocked your ram (as in using the XMP or DOCP settings in the bios) as some boards are known to reboot a few times before posting to dial in the settings.

Venom wrote: »
    What are your system specs? You mention it's a new build and it made me wonder if you have overclocked your ram (as in using the XMP or DOCP settings in the bios) as some boards are known to reboot a few times before posting to dial in the settings.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057911270/1

That's it there. I haven't touched anything with overclocking though.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057911270/1

That's it there. I haven't touched anything with overclocking though.

Have you enabled XMP in the bios or you running it right out of the box?

Venom wrote: »
    Have you enabled XMP in the bios or you running it right out of the box?

No didn't change anything in the bios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No didn't change anything in the bios.

Optimised defaults may have switched XMP on.

Optimised defaults may have switched XMP on.

Do you know what the standard one should look like? I probably won't know what I'm looking at to be honest.

You could try going into the bios and looking for a reset to default settings option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My situation isn't as good as OP's.

New PSU does not seem to have helped, the motherboard still won't boot up (only fan connected is CPU fan).
    Looks like I need to find a new X99 mATX board :(

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My situation isn't as good as OP's.

New PSU does not seem to have helped, the motherboard still won't boot up (only fan connected is CPU fan).
    Looks like I need to find a new X99 mATX board :(

Ah ****e. Do you have any spare parts to test what you have to confirm its the motherboard?

Do you think the fans may have caused the problem?

• Advertisement

Ah ****e. Do you have any spare parts to test what you have to confirm its the motherboard?

Do you think the fans may have caused the problem?

I've checked with the new PSU (EVGA GQ 850) but the mobo is exhibiting the same symptoms: won't power on except for the power switch - which just blinks.

I've checked prices and a new mATX X99 motherboard is €235+shipping.

So I think I'll bite the bullet & get a Ryzen 5 2600 + B450 motherboard instead, then look into fixing/testing the Intel bits later in the year when I've built up some spare cash.
    Or just sell it as not-working :|

I've checked with the new PSU (EVGA GQ 850) but the mobo is exhibiting the same symptoms: won't power on except for the power switch - which just blinks.

I've checked prices and a new mATX X99 motherboard is €235+shipping.

So I think I'll bite the bullet & get a Ryzen 5 2600 + B450 motherboard instead, then look into fixing/testing the Intel bits later in the year when I've built up some spare cash.
    Or just sell it as not-working :|

That sucks man :(
    No chance of getting an X99 second hand?

ATX doesn't fit in my case (Mastercase Pro 3) and can't find any used mATX.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

ATX doesn't fit in my case (Mastercase Pro 3) and can't find any used mATX.

B-grade M-atx one here.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-grade-gigabyte-x99m-gaming-5-intel-x99-socket-2011-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-bg-518-gi.html

game4it70 wrote: »

Was literally about to hit the BUY button on an AMD side/down-grade, thanks!

So my problems haven't fully gone away it seems. Now instead of the fans revving up and down on boot they come in at 100% and continue at full whack and no display will be output so I have to hold the power button to shut down.

This doesn't happen everytime. But can also happen if I restart the PC from the start bar. If I unplug the PC and leave it for a little bit and then turn it on it has worked straight away everytime (so far).

When it does boot straight away I'm getting to see the ASRock screen and then the screen goes black and I see some dashes top left (like command prompt). After that it'll flash up the windows logo and go straight to my log in screen.

Am I likely to have a faulty part somewhere?

So my problems haven't fully gone away it seems. Now instead of the fans revving up and down on boot they come in at 100% and continue at full whack and no display will be output so I have to hold the power button to shut down.

This doesn't happen everytime. But can also happen if I restart the PC from the start bar. If I unplug the PC and leave it for a little bit and then turn it on it has worked straight away everytime (so far).

When it does boot straight away I'm getting to see the ASRock screen and then the screen goes black and I see some dashes top left (like command prompt). After that it'll flash up the windows logo and go straight to my log in screen.

Am I likely to have a faulty part somewhere?

Ok so this still happens but only every four or five boots. It also happened last night when I left Destiny 2 downloading and the PC went to sleep, when I woke it up the fans went mad and no display outputted.

Tried moving the GPU to the bottom PCI slot and the M2 drive to the M2 Express slot on the mobo. It booted into BIOS but did not recognize the M2. Tried again with the GPU in the top PCI slot (where it normally is) and the M2 was still not recognised when plugged into the M2 expess slot. I ended up putting everything back the way it was (M2 in normal M2 slot, and GPU in top PCI port) and the PC worked again.

Another weird one is I had saved new fan profiles in the BIOS but every now and then it's like they are just forgotten and reset themselves. Super annoying :(

Is it likely that there is a problem with my mobo?

Honestly, and weird as it sounds, I think it's the fans.

I sent mine back and bought Noctua Redux models instead.

Honestly, and weird as it sounds, I think it's the fans.

I sent mine back and bought Noctua Redux models instead.

I might leave them plugged out for the next week and see what happens. I really didn't think fans could cause stuff like this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Ok so this still happens but only every four or five boots. It also happened last night when I left Destiny 2 downloading and the PC went to sleep, when I woke it up the fans went mad and no display outputted.

Tried moving the GPU to the bottom PCI slot and the M2 drive to the M2 Express slot on the mobo. It booted into BIOS but did not recognize the M2. Tried again with the GPU in the top PCI slot (where it normally is) and the M2 was still not recognised when plugged into the M2 expess slot. I ended up putting everything back the way it was (M2 in normal M2 slot, and GPU in top PCI port) and the PC worked again.

Another weird one is I had saved new fan profiles in the BIOS but every now and then it's like they are just forgotten and reset themselves. Super annoying :(

Is it likely that there is a problem with my mobo?
    You should stop "random" swaps without consulting manual - you introducing extra overhead issues that is distracting yourself from finding fault
    ** If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.
    It might be minor, but your RAM (from image in other thread) seated in B2 slot, against manufacturer recommendations(page 22 on pdf) to use A2 for single module setup.

Very odd that CMOS jumper come out on its own - usually jumpers are "stiff" to ensure good connection. On same image zoomed-in, jumper seem present - either you ripped it off or might be worth to replace it if its "loose".

Again, refer to manual and confirm ALL connectors and jumpers in correct position and firm.

465267.PNG

• Advertisement

You should stop "random" swaps without consulting manual - you introducing extra overhead issues that is distracting yourself from finding fault It might be minor, but your RAM (from image in other thread) seated in B2 slot, against manufacturer recommendations(page 22 on pdf) to use A2 for single module setup.

Very odd that CMOS jumper come out on its own - usually jumpers are "stiff" to ensure good connection. On same image zoomed-in, jumper seem present - either you ripped it off or might be worth to replace it if its "loose".

Again, refer to manual and confirm ALL connectors and jumpers in correct position and firm.

465267.PNG

Ram is in A2 slot now. Has been since I rebuilt the PC after the issues started. I think the jumper may have been knocked off when I was installing the fans.

Edit: the mobo won't recognise the M2 drive if it's plugged into the M2-1 slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'd check in that CMOS jumper and CMOS battery/connection again. If the fan profiles are going missing it sounds like the CMOS is being wiped every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I'd check in that CMOS jumper and CMOS battery/connection again. If the fan profiles are going missing it sounds like the CMOS is being wiped every now and again.
    That is feeling i get.

Doubt it's the fans. I've the same ML fans and an Asrock mobo and have them controlled in the BIOS and never had a problem.

Advertisement