Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Turn by Turn Navigation App

Options
  • 12-10-2018 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭

So, as usually happens when somebody starts a new hobby or activity, I became over excited by the prospect of cycling, and thinking in terms of running (which my knees and back tend to protest strenuously) I thought "what I definitely need is a cycle computer with GPS that will let me upload gpx files and give me turn by turn directions". I priced such items and promptly wound my neck in.

Then I thought to myself, " I've a smart phone, surely there's an app". This idea was much buoyed by the discovery of a phone-holding handlebar bag in Tesco for the princely (and reduced) price of €2 and small change.

Much to my dismay, Google maps will not support the importing of gpx files for specific routes I'd like to try.

So, long story longer, can anybody recommend an android app that will give me the data of strava, while also giving me reliable turn by turn directions on an imported route

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

You could try RidewithGPS. I never used this app for navigation, but routes created on ridewithgps are great on my Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ridw with GPS is what I use to create routes for my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt (well you kinda have to for turn by turn on the bolt). I'm not sure whether it does turn by turn on imported routes though - if it does on the app, it doesn't on ones imported to Ride With GPS and then pushed on to the Bolt (for turn by turn on imported routes, I recreate it*).

For hiking, I've imported routes into "Google My Maps" - I really can't remember whether that was GPX or KML though, but I think you can use online converters? I've also used "View Ranger" for hiking/ trail running, no idea how it'd be for road navigation though.

*while not ideal, this could also be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

OsmAnd for android (maybe for IOS too) does turn by turn, works off downloaded OpenStreetMaps (with optional contours) so you don't have download on the move issues, reads and records gpx, has a nice UI. I've been using it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had a bryton 50 and it was able to import routes in gpx as far as I can remember, can be picked up cheap and has colour screen that's large enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Komoot does very nice turn by turn on the phone. It also talks to Elemnt Bolt, generates and imports GPX files and so on. Good route planning on the web, but also on the phone app. Some issues distinguishing gravel roads from tarmac, though...the only system that doesn't have that issue, that I know of, is Google Streetview, when you can see for yourself!

• Advertisement

Does Komoot export the turn by turn to the Bolt, on an imported GPX file? i.e. import strava route to kamoot, export to Bolt. With ridewithgps I don't get the turn by turn on the Bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Interested in this outcome.. Im new to komoot and new to the Bolt. Has anyone used the bolt for hiking for its gps capability.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks for all the replies folks. I downloaded ridewithgps, OsmAnd, and komoot, along with a gpx file. After messing around with them all, I think komoot will be my goto app. It syncs with Garmin connect, which I use with my forerunner, and it has a nice simple intuitive interface.

Quick question, that I could probably google, but it's only just popped into my head. Does it sync with Strava? I can see myself using strava for cycles where I know my route, so syncing from komoot on those occasions when I use navigation would be great

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Does Komoot export the turn by turn to the Bolt, on an imported GPX file? i.e. import strava route to kamoot, export to Bolt. With ridewithgps I don't get the turn by turn on the Bolt.

Yes, like this

1: create route on ridewithgps, or komoot, or strava, on PC/Mac or phone. save to your relevant account (rwgps, komoot, or strava)
    2: install the elemnt app on your phone. Link the app to your accounts (rwgps, etc.)
    3: elemnt app will automagically pull your planned routes from rwgps etc into itself.
    4: pair elemnt app with bolt over bluetooth
    5: in the elemnt app, select the route you want on your bolt; it'll load into it over bluetooth in moments.
    6: if you have a lot of routes you want on the bolt, then use the elemnt app to link the bolt to your wifi network (it's easy), and tell it to synch...pulls as many routes as you want down onto the bolt.

Once done, you get turn by turn on the bolt, absolutely.

lochdara wrote: »
    Interested in this outcome.. Im new to komoot and new to the Bolt. Has anyone used the bolt for hiking for its gps capability.

No. The bolt has decent street maps built in, but not topo maps, so not sure how useful it would be for hiking.

• Advertisement

brownian wrote: »
    Once done, you get turn by turn on the bolt, absolutely.
    My experience is just like that if I create a route on ridewithgps...

But if I import a gpx, I don't get the turn by turn. I have to recreate it in ridewithgps to get the turn by turn on the bolt.

I got caught out on the Mick Bryne with that, and while I could follow on the "Route" page, I didn't get the turn by turn on the data pages.

Could be. I have many times received a link to a ridewithgps route, and the 'copied to my routes' (actually made a copy, not just pinned it to my account), after which it all worked swimmingly as described above.

However, I haven't received a GPX, pulled it into ridewithgps or Komoot, saved it to my account and then pulled it into Element. So can't comment on that.

HOWEVER, I am doing that, this weekend, with one of the GPXs from Dave Flanagan's excellent 'Cycling in Ireland' book (get it). I blithely expect it to run on my Bolt (tho I will have komoot on the phone as a backup). I'll report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

No. The bolt has decent street maps built in, but not topo maps, so not sure how useful it would be for hiking.

my idea was using it to back track in case of emergency and not to replace actual maps.
    Ive only had time to use it once and i didnt use the mapping side on the bike.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

However, I haven't received a GPX, pulled it into ridewithgps or Komoot, saved it to my account and then pulled it into Element. So can't comment on that.

HOWEVER, I am doing that, this weekend, with one of the GPXs from Dave Flanagan's excellent 'Cycling in Ireland' book (get it). I blithely expect it to run on my Bolt (tho I will have komoot on the phone as a backup). I'll report back.
    As I've been busy pulling a few gpx's from Strava, did you get a chance to test this Brownian? Did you get proper turn by turn with the import? Thanks

Sorry for slow reply - you probably don't care any more, Macy. But yet, it worked 100% no issue.

Mostly, though, what I do is to copy MapMR routes to 'my routes' within MMR, and then the magic happens, and it's on the bike.

Sorry for slow reply - you probably don't care any more, Macy. But yet, it worked 100% no issue.

Mostly, though, what I do is to copy MapMR routes to 'my routes' within MMR, and then the magic happens, and it's on the bike.

Advertisement