Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing an air rifle from the uk.

Options
  • 12-10-2018 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has gone to the trouble of doing this before and could offer some advise as to whether it’s worth the bother.
    So I’m planning on going to the British Shooting Show in Birmingham next February. No doubt there will be plenty guns to see and actually hold in your hand before you make a decision on buying one. I often see the bundle deals in the UK mags and they seem great value compared to offerings here. If I was to buy one over there how much grief in paperwork and import fees am I looking at?
    I hate passing by local RFD but there are only a few near me and to be honest they seem to have no interest unless your dropping a few grand their way. I asked two of them(in person) to inquire if they could get me the new Tikka T1x earlier this year and neither bothered getting back to me so I gave up on the idea until they become more commonplace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

I did it years back for an airgun. 
    Get your licence here, fill out your import licence, http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/eu_individuals_importing,
     then if it's under 12ft/lb you can buy it over anywhere, declare it to airlines and fly back with it.
    You don't need a licence for a sub 12 ft/lb airgun in the uk and when you land you have a licence for it here. I found it easy to get a 12ft/lb springer, then afterwards I tuned it with what they call a FAC kit in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Why not buy buy a .22 rifle and you will have a real gun you can at least make your money back when you decide to upgrade ? air rifles are fast becoming extinct with good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Snowc wrote: »
    Why not buy buy a .22 rifle and you will have a real gun you can at least make your money back when you decide to upgrade ? air rifles are fast becoming extinct with good reason

Air rifles are great fun. I got an old, pristine condition .22 BSA Meteor as my first rifle last year and it was the best move ever.

There is something about the whole feel of it that says it is a flawlessly engineered piece of equipment that has stood the test of time.

The thing about the air rifles is they teach patience and concentration more so than a bolt action or semi automatic .22 will because it is more important to make very shot count when it takes so long to reload.

Small water balloons shot at 30 yards with an air rifle are not to be underestimated for the fun factor.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Air rifles are great fun. I got an old, pristine condition .22 BSA Meteor as my first rifle last year and it was the best move ever.

There is something about the whole feel of it that says it is a flawlessly engineered piece of equipment that has stood the test of time.

The older British made Webley and BSA air guns were made to the same standards as their shotguns and rifles. Excellent wood, really well finished, lovely deep bluing. Built to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Already have a .22 a .223 and a shotgun and I’ve a HK97kt air rifle which I’m going to upgrade. If I could only have one gun it would be the air rifle. I’ve more crows and magpies accounted with it that every other gun combined and when I get going at shooting rats with it I’m sure that will be even more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Oh really. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Obviously those poor misguided folks who publish 'Gun Mart' monthly magazine have chosen to ignore the imminent demise of air rifles. The latest edition in my paws right here has no less than four brand-new arrivals on test, and literally hundreds of advertisements... Since my main shooting interest lies elswhere, I chose to ignore the seven monthly magazines that deal with airguns, but I have to note that they looked awesomely full of new product reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

air rifles are fast becoming extinct with good reason

Rubbish, they are often the ideal tool for vermin control near farm buildings, around gardens, houses, factories etc, where tee-ing off with a .22lr, even with sub-sonics would be irresponsible. I have seen rats being shot with a silenced air rifle in a racing stables. Completely silent, accurate, plenty of power to take rats, squirrels, magpies, pigeons, crows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Possibly, one of the most ill informed posts I have read in a while. Either that or a deliberate attempt to troll :rolleyes:

Why make the assumption that the OP wants a rimfire when he expressly asked about importing an air rifle? Prescriptive help?

As mentioned, plus some additional comments;
    • Air rifle shooting is one of the fastest growing sectors in the shooting market. Product demand far outweighs supply levels in many instances.

• Modern high power air rifles can do pretty much anything a 22lr can do (with the exception of 22lr bench, rimfire restricted comps, etc), and in many situations, do it a lot better. ( some reasons outlined in other posts)

• Air rifles are extremely highly engineered firearms.............yes, real guns (to use your words)

• The industry sees a serious amount of engineering advancement in design on an annual basis and im not just talking about aesthetics.

• Most people in Ireland that have air rifles have them to compliment other firearms/(real guns) they own and choose an air rifle for the advantages it provides.

• Caliber choice has expanded quite a lot and large bore air rifles are far more efficient vermin control tools than you might imagine.

• 150 yards + accurately (shooting paper/targets) is very achievable with a modern high power PCP.

Im guessing you havent used a modern high power PCP either as the effective range/distance would surprise you and they are incredibly powerful and efficient.

I use them regularly and for many years and would agree with the OP in that I would prefer one over any other firearm.

Anyway, to the OP, unless you are getting significant savings or that you want something very specific, I would buy through an RFD here, if for no other reason than backup support.

Because as simple as it is to import a firearm, you possibly will have to export it again for after sales service and re import it again, add in additional fees if not under warranty and provided you get an agent in the UK that is willing to go through the paperwork for you (remember your single purchase v's a UK domestic purchase is a lot more work for them for the same money) in addition to an RFD here to help you because most RFD's in the UK would have a preference to deal through another RFD.

Weigh up the above, the exchange rate, VAT, cost to service, etc. and then the cost to export again in the event of an issue and it might not be so much of a saving any more.

But, the air rifle section of the British shooting show is definitely worthwhile visiting. You will see plenty faces from here over there is last year was anything to go by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Same as the lads above, if I had to pick a single firearm for all time, it would be a pcp air rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'll be at the Shooting show, too. I'll be the one wearing a hat, unless, of course, I might have removed it when you see me.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

amadablam wrote: »

Anyway, to the OP, unless you are getting significant savings or that you want something very specific, I would buy through an RFD here, if for no other reason than backup support.

Because as simple as it is to import a firearm, you possibly will have to export it again for after sales service and re import it again, add in additional fees if not under warranty and provided you get an agent in the UK that is willing to go through the paperwork for you (remember your single purchase v's a UK domestic purchase is a lot more work for them for the same money) in addition to an RFD here to help you because most RFD's in the UK would have a preference to deal through another RFD.

Weigh up the above, the exchange rate, VAT, cost to service, etc. and then the cost to export again in the event of an issue and it might not be so much of a saving any more.

But, the air rifle section of the British shooting show is definitely worthwhile visiting. You will see plenty faces from here over there is last year was anything to go by :)
    Unfortunately I think your right, it all just sounds like a bit much hassle to import one, too much to go wrong and too many people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Hi Kran, how did you get on with your purchase?

Advertisement