Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

• 12-10-2018 10:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

Just received my licence for a Krico in .22 WMR. This is my first rifle even though I have a shotgun for a number of years. I also have the "s" for a moderator so I am looking for recommendations . Also the barrel is not threaded so again advice is needed on having this done. I live in Cork City. Anyone know an engineering company who will do this work or will I have to go through a RFD. No doubt this will be an added expense. and also are moderators all the same thread size or will I have to have the barrel threaded to suit the particular silencer. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Moderators come in various different thread sizes so the barrel will have to be threaded to the relevant thread.FWIW, you should take it to a gunsmith to get it threaded. As simply said they should know WTF is involved in doing this job correctly.Its not just a job of chucking the barrel in a lathe and cutting threads on the muzzle .The machine needs to be set up properly, and that's the most of the work in itself. So a GS will probably already have his machine set up to do this rather than "Danny Joes Engineering [Cattle grids and gunsmithing works a speciality!]"
    Down Cork ways ,PM and have a chat with Gunhappy.ie here on boards .He's local down there .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Just so you know, a moderator doesnt make a huge difference on a .22 wmr.

Its not very loud to begin with compared to the .17hmr and it'll never quieten the sonic crack from the bullet.

Not many pros vs the cons.. Extra weight, extra length, extra cost,

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

We shoot both .22wmr and 17hmr and both are horrible without the mod on. Same sound I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Benny mcc wrote: »
    We shoot both .22wmr and 17hmr and both are horrible without the mod on. Same sound I think

Which mod are you using?

Parker and hale. Nothing fancy but Does the job

• Advertisement

Probably don't need mod now I think an old krico hornet took my ear drums years ago ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Parker Hale moderators are/were only designed with the use of 22 rim fires in mind. There are better,more suitable, moderators available.

I know but the Parker works good. Have it on the 17hmr varmint barrel and I looks like a barrel extension. It'll have to do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Riva10 wrote: »
    Just received my licence for a Krico in .22 WMR.
    Congrats.
    ......... so I am looking for recommendations .
    Depends on three things:
    1. Size/diameter of barrel
    2. Preferred thread size
    3. Suitable thread size.
    What i mean by these is:
    If the barrel is a bull barrel measuring 0.920" then a 1/2" unf will look silly, but no less functional. If the barrel is the usual 14-16mm then 1/2 will be perfect. This is not about functionality as much as aesthetics.
    What you want. If you have something in mind and how it'll look. Again more aesthetics than functionality.
    This is the important one. You dno't want to go with an unusual thread size because it means an unusual thread size for the Mod and this means when/if you sell the gun the mod will most likely have to go with it. So 1/2" unf is a good starting point. Most rimfire mods are made in this size and so are some larger caliber/centrefire mods. It'll sell easily or be transferred to any new rifle you get.

TL:DR - Go for 1/2" unf thread.

As for hte mod itself you have:
    • Wildcat
    • A-tec LEI
    • SAK
    • Parker Hale
    They all make rimfire specific mods and will suit the WMR fine. In terms of sound reduction each person hears the shot through them differently so any difference, if any, between the mods may be little to none, but when it comes to actual differences there is not a lot in them. So Its down to personal choice as each mod has its pros and cons in terms of looks, stripping, sound reduction, etc.
    Also the barrel is not threaded so again advice is needed on having this done. I live in Cork City. Anyone know an engineering company who will do this work or will I have to go through a RFD.
    Legally only a gunsmith or registered RFD can do this. Even if you are present the work must be carried out by someone with an RFD license.

As for recommendations i don't know anyone close to Cork, but give gunhappy on here a shout and he'll steer you in the right direction.
    No doubt this will be an added expense.
    Yes. Anywhere from €50 to €90.
    and also are moderators all the same thread size or will I have to have the barrel threaded to suit the particular silencer.
    As above you get the rifle threaded to suit the mod you want, but you can pick what thread size for the Mod and the rifle so go with one that works and is "common" enough not to cause you any problems i mentioned above in the future.

Best of luck with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Thanks for the info Cass. This is exactly what I needed. Have fired about 70 shots since I collected the rifle. I am very happy with it and it seems to like Winchester hollow point. I will give gunhappy an email and hopefully he can point me to someone local.

• Advertisement
Advertisement