Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small farm not being used?

• 12-10-2018 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Looking for advice please! I have a small suckling farm. My cousins have asked me if I would lease their late uncle's "farm", which would be 15 mins away from me. It is 8.5 hectares, plus 3/18 shares of 86 hectares of commonage. The uncle had not farmed in over 20 years, no herd number and he didn't draw any premiums etc. I don't think it's possible to draw any grants/premiums on this farm, but solicitor has told my cousins it is no problem. Land would all need to be cleared, plus wired. No sheds, only old stone cowhouse with no roof. Am I mad even to think about it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Depending on lease terms, & if reasonable this seems an offer worth investigating.
    Access to 20 acres of land & circa 30 acres of commonage ( unfarmed for 20 yrs ) some of the best land has been unfarmed for a lot longer , & brought back at minimal cost.
    If its 15 mins ,consider as outside farm & bring stock home for winter , avoid two sets of costs , shelter water , power etc.
    The reclamation work could perhaps be in lieu of Lease payments .
    Suggest get clear understanding of what can be earned from the farm first . Investigate any grants available / are you green cert for TAMS etc .
    Get advice from Agr Consultant , Teagasc & or any Local Advisors .
    Draw up legal lease agreement & clarify who the owner is of the property .
    I would not spend any monies until I have proper agreements in place . In any event Dept & Bank may wish to view these in the future.
    Best of luck . P

Advertisement