Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler Upset Going into Creche

• 12-10-2018 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My 2 year old has been in creche for a year and seems to get on great. However, in the mornings when he is dropped off he gets very upset. On those mornings when he is not upset, he is very quiet and shy going in.

Then when we collect him in the evening they say he got on great all day.

Anything we can do to ensure he doesn't get upset initially? Or anyone with similar experiences? Has been going on for a long time now.

Thanks!

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ours went through a phase of this. I think most children do at some point.
    In our case I did my best to establish that there was nothing specific that was bothering him he just wanted to be with me or his dad instead of being at creche.
    This time of year is hard too for them. They just see it getting dark outside and to them it's REALLY late because they remember going to bed in daylight hours a month ago so staying in creche when it's getting dark might make them wonder if you've forgotten about them.

I just held out. I had no choice really. I'd go a little bit earlier in the mornings specifically so that I could sit with him while he got upset and explain why I needed to go and stayed until he was ok and ready to play with his classmates. It's tough though and you feel crap leaving them. His dad's work at the time was a bit flexible so maybe once a week he would spring him from creche early.

Keep talking to him. There might be a child he's not comfortable with or a teacher or something on their mind. I find bedtimes after stories is a good time as all their little worries of the day tend to be on their mind. He would usually say he didn't want me to go to work and I would agree with him - I didn't want to go either and wanted to stay at home just like he did. But that I had to go and so did he and that we would do something nice on our days off.

It usually passes though.

Advertisement