Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Circulation pump not working

• 12-10-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Primaflow cp6. . Not circulating the water so boiler is switching off in a few minutes as temperature gets too hot.

Plugged in ok. no more than 3 years old.

Is that something I could take a look at myself, or when theyre gone theyre gone? Power going into it ok.

How much are they? Is replacing them straightforward, drain system, drop new one in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

found it online which wasnt easy so Im guessing it was just a cheapo one that the plumber put in at the time, cant get a hold of the guy now. Would cost at least 50e to get a fella to look at it anyway so not much point.

http://www.heatingsparescentre.co.uk/uncategorised-c2965/primaflow-cp6-6-metre-head-circulating-pump-130mm-port-to-port-71000106-p24068

If I can get a new one for under 100, is it a straight forward lock the valve either side of the pump, drop in the new one and wire it up making sure the water is going the right way?

can anyone recommend me somewhere that I can pick one up on a saturday around dublin/tallaght?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

found it online which wasnt easy so Im guessing it was just a cheapo one that the plumber put in at the time, cant get a hold of the guy now. Would cost at least 50e to get a fella to look at it anyway so not much point.

http://www.heatingsparescentre.co.uk/uncategorised-c2965/primaflow-cp6-6-metre-head-circulating-pump-130mm-port-to-port-71000106-p24068

If I can get a new one for under 100, is it a straight forward lock the valve either side of the pump, drop in the new one and wire it up making sure the water is going the right way?

can anyone recommend me somewhere that I can pick one up on a saturday around dublin/tallaght?
    If the valves on either side of the pump are the slotted-screw type, it's very likely that one or both will leak after being disturbed. That would mean a drain down and replace with proper wheel-head type valves.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Wearb wrote: »
    If the valves on either side of the pump are the slotted-screw type, it's very likely that one or both will leak after being disturbed. That would mean a drain down and replace with proper wheel-head type valves.

They are slotted head, thanks for that.

last one I had must have gone on for better part of 10 years but I guess this one went cos at that price its cheap it looks like.

Could you recommend a decent one that will last a few years that should be available in a local suppliers? Are all domestic pumps the same size and fittings?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

They are slotted head, thanks for that.

last one I had must have gone on for better part of 10 years but I guess this one went cos at that price its cheap it looks like.

Could you recommend a decent one that will last a few years that should be available in a local suppliers? Are all domestic pumps the same size and fittings?
    Check or clearly photograph the label on the pump to get the required head (also take note of the switch setting if its that sort and pumping direction) bring those details into a plumbing shop, like Chadwick's or Heatmerchant's etc. and they will supply you with a suitable one.

In your case, I would have a plumber do it and ask him to change those valves at the same time.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

For around the €100 mark you should be able to get a DAB, a Loware or a Heat Merchants own brand.(~~€90). The "better" ones like the Grundfos UPS2 or Wilo will probably cost €20 to €50 more depending on where purchased.

• Advertisement
Advertisement