Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike travel

Options
  • 12-10-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi all
    Going on a trip in a few weeks and thinking at last moment to take bike with me. Traveling with Ryan air to Alicante for 10 days. Does anyone know Ryanair policy regarding taking bike. Cost. Booking it etc thank you ! Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

€60 each way and if you've already booked your flight, just go online and add the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Ryanair have 30kg limit (as opposed to Aer Lingus' 23kg limit) - not an issue with higher end boxes or cardboard options but some boxes are weighty especially with clothes, shoes helmet etc which can bring it close to limit

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is your bike nice? If so you need a box.

If it's not, just rent over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

ED E wrote: »
    Is your bike nice? If so you need a box.

If it's not, just rent over there.

I think it’s nice 😉 thanks for help guys ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Have brought a bike to various European locations over the years with Ryanair without incident. UNTIL this September. Having previously just placed my bike in a see-through but strong plastic bike bag, on this occasion I opted to use my "proper" bike bag (i.e. not a hard case). Coincidentally, or not, the result was a front wheel rim damaged beyond use. The apparent moral of the tale? Either go the ultra-cheap clear bag option (which seems to encourage a modicum of care from baggage handlers) or the the full-on hard case route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

rflynnr wrote: »
    Have brought a bike to various European locations over the years with Ryanair without incident. UNTIL this September. Having previously just placed my bike in a see-through but strong plastic bike bag, on this occasion I opted to use my "proper" bike bag (i.e. not a hard case). Coincidentally, or not, the result was a front wheel rim damaged beyond use. The apparent moral of the tale? Either go the ultra-cheap clear bag option (which seems to encourage a modicum of care from baggage handlers) or the the full-on hard case route.

Thanks all.
    Following on from this could someone recommend a bike box/ bag suitable for a 56 frame with integrated seat post. Will invest in a decent one as intend doing a bit of traveling from now on thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Scicon AeroComfort 2.0 . Ive been using it for a few years. Easy to pack/ unpack..room for extras and not heavy. You can pack your bike gear along with a bike and still be under the Aer Lingus weight limit (plenty of room for extras with the RyanAir limit )

Can be a bit cumbersome getting from the airport to your accommodation. Some coach drivers will complain about it, some will charge extra. The Mallorca shuttle, for example charges a bit extra. There were loads of them this year at the Mallorca 312 ( as well as the tri version ). I'm sure it will take an integrated seatpost but check that before you pull the trigger. Mines a 54 frame with no need to adjust the seatpost and plenty of room for higher. Should be grand.

Most importantly though, it looks very pro at the airport ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

I put my 56cm frame with ISP into a BikeBoxAlan without any issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

rflynnr wrote: »

In my case, the clear bag option meant that the bike was too big/awkward to be piled on the trolly with the other bags so it got a trolly of its own to and from the plane. Came out happy both ways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I used to believe the bag theory, until 3 of 4 of our bikes were damaged (one very badly) coming into Dublin.

Now i have a ShokBox (v. good, very solid, not too dear) for out-and-back trips, and use a cardboard box from my LBS for one-way trips (tours), and then hope for hte best with bubble wrap and whatever comes to hand, coming home (so far so good, touch wood).

• Advertisement
Advertisement