Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work place fines

Options
  • 12-10-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I work for a contractors firm. In the factory where I'm based the factory has issued a new policy where if contractor employees are spotted without full PPE the contractor firm will be issued with a €50 fine. My company sent us a email today saying if they receive any fines for their employees not wearing full PPE they will deduct €50 from our wages for each offence.

Although I'm with the company for 15 years I don't have a employment contract with them so I'm wondering can they just deduct money from my wages in the unlikely event of me not wearing all my ppe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I work for a contractors firm. In the factory where I'm based the factory has issued a new policy where if contractor employees are spotted without full PPE the contractor firm will be issued with a €50 fine. My company sent us a email today saying if they receive any fines for their employees not wearing full PPE they will deduct €50 from our wages for each offence.

Although I'm with the company for 15 years I don't have a employment contract with them so I'm wondering can they just deduct money from my wages in the unlikely event of me not wearing all my ppe?

Employer cannot deduct from wages without the employees consent..

The company may have to absorb this fine themselves but a more typical approach is to hand out warnings.

See here, it needs to be in your contract before it can be done without your consent
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_slip.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just wear your PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

ted1 wrote: »
    Just wear your PPE.

I do, and thank you for your advice. I'm concerned its a slippery slope. If I was to make a mistake and damage some equipment for example, will this lead to other work place fines.

Advertisement