Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vomit-like smell from wort..

Options
  • 12-10-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

I've sterilised all of my equipment before starting...then I ran some crushed barley in a "Brew Monk" mashing mashine...sparged it and ran the resulting wort into a fermenting bucket (also sterilised). I waited for it to cool to around 28 degrees and then added yeast and put the lid on with an airlock. After a few hours, it was bubbling away nicely and did so for a couple of days, but it then stopped rather quickly and when I opened the bucket to take a look there was a sour vomit-like smell from the wort.
    I'm wondering if the wort has gotten infected or is the sour smell to be expected?
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Leave it alone until it's finished. Bottle/keg it, condition it, taste it, and then decide if you want to drink it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You messed up the yeast if added at 28c. It will still ferment out but you're going to get a lot of off flavours.

Unless it was a kveik strain

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The vomit like smell is typically butyric acid, aka Baby Sick, and it has a singular origin (bacterial). 
    I dont think this recovers in the beer. Ferment it out and see what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to scrap it and start again. Seems fine this time around...

Advertisement