Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp4 without Gnib Card, can't start work!

Options
  • 12-10-2018 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello everyone,
    I am an Eu citizen and have been working in Dublin since April 2018. My non-Eu wife joined me in June with C visa join spouse and she applied for Gnib card. But in the meantime she got a temporary Stamp4 in her passport and it says she does not need a work permit until April 2019. So she applied for a job and got accepted. But the company wants a Gnib card now? Was wondering if anyone can help me on this matter. Does she really need a Gnib card to start work in Ireland or Stamp4 in her passport would be enough? Some of the people told me that she should get a temporary residence card in 2-3 weeks after she got the Stamp4. But we haven`t received anything but a letter that says her application is in process, they have every documents that they need and there will be taken a decision before January 2019. There was not anything related to a temporary residence card.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭dennyk

She can legally take up work with the temporary Stamp 4, but the company may have their own policy requiring a more permanent status so that they don't waste time onboarding someone they'll have to let go in a few months for lack of a valid permission. Either that or it's just that their system expects foreign nationals to have a GNIB card (now called an IRP, Irish Residence Permit) and whoever's onboarding her doesn't know how to get around it in the case of someone who's waiting on an EU1 residence card.

Unfortunately if they remain stubborn about it, there may not be much your wife can do; there's perhaps a slim chance she might have grounds for a discrimination claim on the basis of national origin, but the company will probably argue that their concerns are regarding her visa status and permission to work legally, not her nationality per se, and unless they've otherwise acted in a discriminatory fashion towards her, they may win that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

How is your local immigration gaurd? Ours told us to have the company contact him directly if we had any issues while waiting on my wife's card. Might be worth a try.

Advertisement