Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome or safari

Options
  • 12-10-2018 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    Finally got a MacBook Air and I am delighted with it. Watching lot of YouTube videos for all the tricks!
    Main query is whether I should use Chrome or Safari?
    This is mainly a machine for work which requires a lot of G Suite work so I have up to this point been a Chrome user. I like it too.

So is there any advantage to using Safari instead?

Also is there a handy list of the Command key shortcuts anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

km79 wrote: »
    So is there any advantage to using Safari instead?

Main advantage for me is that I use safari across all my devices (macbook, iphone and i pad) so handoff is easy and I only need to keep one set of bookmarks updated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Safari is way faster and uses far less battery/memory/CPU.

Chrome is a bloated resource hog and doesn't integrate well with MacOS. But it's fine while plugged in if you don't mind the fan noise and the ugly UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Safari Keyboard Shortcuts and Gestures (or did you mean for macOS generally)?

The main reasons you might consider sticking with Chrome are if you need to sync tabs, history and/or extensions with Chrome sessions on other devices, or if you need to use some plugins that don't exist for Safari (which is sadly not a particularly rare occurrence). Otherwise, Safari should generally serve you just as well or better, given its deeper integration with the OS.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Long term Chrome user, got a new macbook last month. Safari now. Got rid of it chrome off my phone too. No regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

lordgoat wrote: »
    Long term Chrome user, got a new macbook last month. Safari now. Got rid of it chrome off my phone too. No regrets.

I was about to make the switch yday
    Migrated bookmarks etc
    BUT
    Then I noticed when I loaded the google homepage on safari it didn’t show me the recent site thumbnails under the google search box as it does in chrome. This is handy Cos if there is an email it shows it in the gmail thumbnail

So I’m still chrome for now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Safari no longer allows me to play Netfilx, which I find very frustrating. I just get a message stating "Netflix system requirements for HTML5 Player and Silverlight". I download it but to no avail. Hence Chrome all the way for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mr.S wrote: »
    I use Chrome because of the Google profile sync with my work PC / other devices + some extensions that aren't on Safari.

Do you actually see a noticeable difference? The only time performance gets a bit nuts is when I have 100+ tabs open.

Side by side for general use they run the same on my devices.

I’ve decided to stick with chrome for that reason too

On a separate issue
    Why do I have to manaually select to switch audio to headphones/Bluetooth speaker every time I connect one ?
    Am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

2011 wrote: »
    Safari no longer allows me to play Netfilx, which I find very frustrating. I just get a message stating "Netflix system requirements for HTML5 Player and Silverlight". I download it but to no avail. Hence Chrome all the way for me now.

Since when

Was working fine for me recently

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

2011 wrote: »

just tested on my mac book
    netflix plays fine for me in safari
    problem with your machine but the sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Mr.S wrote: »
    I use Chrome because of the Google profile sync with my work PC / other devices + some extensions that aren't on Safari.

Do you actually see a noticeable difference? The only time performance gets a bit nuts is when I have 100+ tabs open.

Side by side for general use they run the same on my devices.

Edit: My only gripe with Chrome is that they use their own (ugly) notification system. Would much before them use the MacOS notifications.

Agree with this.

From my usage (I use both browsers daily) I don’t see the “Safari is way faster” comment as a reality.

There is little to no difference in performance for me at least. The fans never kick in when I’m using Chrome. Nothing strange shows up regarding resources hogging in activity monitor vs what I see with Safari for similar usage.

Seems like Chrome for Mac gets a bad name from people who used it before and had issues and haven’t tried it since.

If you’re on modern hardware, latest OS and latest Chrome version - you’re not likely to experience the dramatic symptoms described in previous posts.

Use whatever gives you the best experience. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Seve OB wrote: »
    Since when

Was working fine for me recently

Since the last update. Can’t get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paulmcn81

Chrome all day everyday, I find safari very buggy at times and never had an issue with chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I use Firefox on my main MacBook Pro (2012) and Opera on my MacBook Air, as it uses less resources with the battery saver mode. Haven't been near Chrome for a while, and Safari just isn't my thing at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Safari is my main browser on MacOS and iOS with Firefox as a rare backup. I use Firefox on Windows and Linux. I try to avoid Google as much as possible (unavoidable in work).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Safari on the Mac and iOS. Some websites see Safari and change how they present to the user. I have the Developer Menu enabled and I can fool some of these sites into playing nice by changing the User Agent. Developer menu also lets me disable crap like Javascript and other things that cause annoying pop ups. It's available from the menu bar so I don't need to get dragged into settings to change them. Using Safari on iOS too allows be to sync favourite sites, credentials and form data from my desktop and MacBook. The configurable Toolbar is also nice and familiar as it's used system wide.

In Work I have to use Windows 10 or Server 2012/16 so Chrome or IE for compatibility with O365 Admin and Sharepoint.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Safari all the way. Using Chrome it’s like someone lookng over your shoulder while you surf. Being google and all that.

Advertisement