Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

joint herd number.....tax !!!

• 12-10-2018 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im in a joint herd number with father and the accountant wants us to decide what split we have on profits.

Am I obliged to split the profits 50/50 or can I give him 90% on paper as hes in a better tax position than me!

what are others doing

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The accountant should be advising on it, he would know what percentage split would be most tax efficient and should then present that to ye to see if ye agree. It doesn't have to be 50 50

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

80/20 is very common. With min 20% to the young farmer. Some are doing this especially if the young farmer has off farm income so you don't get screwed with tax after all your hard work. Best to speak with an accountant to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Some schemes you have to be 80/20 and others 90/10 will do. Ask your agri advisor if this applies to you as well as the accountant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

I run all through my fathers name. Accountant said once someone was paying tax on it they were happy enough.

Who2 wrote:
    I run all through my fathers name. Accountant said once someone was paying tax on it they were happy enough.

But if the son/daughter had an off farm income their tax would likely be 40%, compared with the fathers 20% tax rate.

If revenue ever did a check they would be looking for the missing 20% + interest + penalties.

There was a discussion on this previously (9mths ago) with the thread title herd number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Aravo wrote: »
    But if the son/daughter had an off farm income their tax would likely be 40%, compared with the fathers 20% tax rate.

If revenue ever did a check they would be looking for the missing 20% + interest + penalties.

There was a discussion on this previously (9mths ago) with the thread title herd number

Maybe they will I don’t know but for now that’s how I do it. The returns aren’t going to make anyone up anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Aravo wrote: »

There was a discussion on this previously (9mths ago) with the thread title herd

The accountant should know the best / correct breakdown, if they don't a new accountant is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Sure I thought there was nobody on here making a penny, tax shouldn't be a problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Some lads would be into the higher band even without farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

Ya so if I put 20% in my name it will cost me about €1200 so might just chance leaving all in fathers name.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

What is the partnership %.

It will have been declared to Revenue when the partnership was registered with Revenue and a seperate tax ID (pps no) would have been supplied so as to file the form1

What is the partnership %.

It will have been declared to Revenue when the partnership was registered with Revenue and a seperate tax ID (pps no) would have been supplied so as to file the form1

Not a registered partnership just a joint herdnumber

roosky wrote: »
    Not a registered partnership just a joint herdnumber

If there is no partnership agreement then its counted 50/50

I believe a lot are using 80/20 split for joint herdno, especially where there is off farm income. Revenue see it as 50/50 unless notified otherwise when the taxes are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Does the form 1 still have to filed in this instance ?

josephsoap wrote: »
    Does the form 1 still have to filed in this instance ?

cant file a form1 unless the partnership has a separate tax number

Partner 1 - tax ID (Form 11)
    partner 2 - tax ID (Form 11)
    Partnership - Tax ID (Form 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shine a light

Hi all, I am in the process of adding my name to my father’s herd number so it will be a joint herd number. I have completed the green cert and intend on applying for the 25% top up under the ‘Young Farmer Scheme’. My father and I intend on setting up a tax partnership as my off farm income is €50,000 with an 80%/20% profit split (20% to me). My first question is – as we are going to be in a tax partnership will I be able to avail of the 25% on all our entitlements or just 20% of them as per the tax partnership?

We are also in the process of transferring the farm itself. When you inherit the farm do the entitlements automatically transfer with the land or how does that work?

Thanks in advance.

remember that you will be ruling yourself out of the 60% grants as a young farmer.

If i was doing it again i would have transferred all to me and left it cleaner i was just kicking a can down the road by going joint herd number

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shine a light

Thanks very much for the advice, it was something I hadn’t considered. A possible way around it would be initially sign up to the joint herd number and then go on your own, provided its within the 5 year window.

Advertisement