Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI no longer providing customers with USD bank drafts?

Options
  • 12-10-2018 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello, can you advise me why BoI are no longer providing customers with the option of buying a USD bank draft?  AIB have no difficulty with providing this service still, but today when I went to BoI (where I have banked 39 years) I was told the service of USD bank drafts has been withdrawn.

AIB would do it for me except I need to open an account with them first.

Why are BoI withdrawing such a service from customers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Humbird wrote: »
    Hello, can you advise me why BoI are no longer providing customers with the option of buying a USD bank draft?  AIB have no difficulty with providing this service still, but today when I went to BoI (where I have banked 39 years) I was told the service of USD bank drafts has been withdrawn.

AIB would do it for me except I need to open an account with them first.

Why are BoI withdrawing such a service from customers?
    Hi Humbird,
    Thanks for getting in touch with us here. 
    Can I ask what branch gave you this information and how much the draft that you were looking to purchase was for? 

Thanks again, 
    Darren. 

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Humbird

Hi Darren, it was Stillorgan Co. Dublin branch, Friday 12th Oct 2018.  They turned me down (customer of 39 years) for a bank draft without even asking me the amount.  When I told them the amount I was looking for (USD $300) they said no way for such an amount.
    I went to AIB and they had no difficulty in such a bank draft .... but only do bank drafts for AIB customers. 
    Have you an answer for the reason?  Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Humbird wrote: »
    Hi Darren, it was Stillorgan Co. Dublin branch, Friday 12th Oct 2018.  They turned me down (customer of 39 years) for a bank draft without even asking me the amount.  When I told them the amount I was looking for (USD $300) they said no way for such an amount.
    I went to AIB and they had no difficulty in such a bank draft .... but only do bank drafts for AIB customers. 
    Have you an answer for the reason?  Thanks.

Thanks for that Humbird.
    We can only issue either Euro or Foreign currency drafts for an amount of €500.00 or over. We wouldn't be able to issue a draft for anything lower then that. You can make a transfer of this amount through your 365 online profile by adding the US account as a payee and making an international transfer to them.
    This process would be quicker and cheaper then sending a US draft to clear in another account.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement