Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Crown Jewel - 2nd November (as it stands) - Spoilers and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So this is Friday @ 4pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder if this is a spanner in Cena and WWE's relationship now? He was Mr WWE for over a decade, then goes part-time and pulls out of a show when it might affect his other commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Taker going on about "slow agonising pain" was quite a poor choice of words for a promo..

On a side note, Taker and Kane, imo, have never been any good on the mic and everything about this "feud" has been just terrible.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-rumor-mill-popular-wwe-superstar-to-be-removed-from-crown-jewel-match

There has to be something to this story given all the multiple reports we've seen regarding DB wanting to pull out. Wonder will they handle it as sloppily as they did by removing Cena from the World Cup

PWInsider saying Bryan is out now...
    PWInsider says they’ve confirmed with multiple sources that Daniel Bryan will not travel to Saudi Arabia for Crown Jewel. They’re reporting “Bryan made it clear he would not be traveling to the event and WWE began making alternative plans last week.”

Further, as of yesterday (Mon., Oct. 29), Insider says WWE was not planning on sending WWE champion AJ Styles to Riyadh for the controversial event this Friday, either. At that point, company officials were going to send Styles and Bryan to Orlando to tape their announced title bout at the Performance Center. The footage would then be aired during Crown Jewel’s broadcast, Nov. 2 on WWE Network. But apparently that idea was scrapped. As of this writing, the company has not finalized plans for addressing the situation.

Possibilities Insider mentions include taping a blow-off for the Bryan/Styles program on tonight’s SmackDown in order to move the champ on to a new challenger - one of the possibilities being discussed backstage is to have Rusev face AJ in Saudi Arabia - or filming the bout in Atlanta on Oct. 30 but not airing it until Friday’s pay-per-view (PPV). They could also use the promoted “face-off” segment to explain away the situation completely

Miz vs AJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I wonder will this decision hinder his push/program going forward. it could well raise his popularity with fans even more. would wwe be so petty (of course they might) as to punish him for refusing to travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The sooner this is over the better. Pretty disappointing for Braun Strowman too win his first world title at such a controversial PPV if he does

WWE will no doubt be back there next year for another mega PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wonder if this is a spanner in Cena and WWE's relationship now? He was Mr WWE for over a decade, then goes part-time and pulls out of a show when it might affect his other commitments.

I'm wondering if Bryan's in a similar conundrum. :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm wondering if Bryan's in a similar conundrum. :/

Yep. I imagine Bryan will be severely punished for this. He’ll be learning to like the taste to sh1t all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did Bryan actually sign the new contract that was on offer?

Much respect for Bryan on this he is doing for his beliefs where as it looks like Cena is doing it out of PR reasons now he's Hollywood Cena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Good for Bryan. He must feel very strongly about it.
    However, he has now burdened himself with a moral standard bearer label, something he will live to regret.
    Now, whenever WWE find themselves in a situation like this again, fans will look to Bryan and say "are you gonna pull out of this show?" And when he doesn't, the same people applauding him now will rip him apart and call him a sell out. It's human nature.

Also, something I would like to ask Bryan and others who don't want to perform on the show; why did you not refuse to perform on the Greatest Royal Rumble show back in April? I mean, it wasn't that long ago. Were you not aware of Saudi Arabia's disgusting human rights abuses back then? They were well publicised.
    Or is the murder and attempted cover up of a single journalist more appalling to you than all of the Saudi government's decades of crimes that went before it? And if so, why?

As for Cena, I would imagine his Hollywood people made him back out once John Oliver singled out Cena on his bit about Crown Jewel a few weeks back. Right after that aired we began to hear that Cena wanted to back out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Cena will be fine, made the company a lot of money and worked his backside of for them. They need Cena more than he needs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

For anyone who gives a **** here are the brackets for the world cup

Raw semis
    Seth Rollins vs Bobby Lashley
    Kurt Angle vs Dolph Ziggler

SD semis
    Jeff Hardy vs Miz
    Rey Mystero vs Randy Orton

Final is the winners of each brand section. 2 poor lads will have to perform 3 matches in the one night. Prob be a Kurt Angle vs Rey Mystero final

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is it only those with matches that are being made go, or do others have to go for meet and greets?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Taker going on about "slow agonising pain" was quite a poor choice of words for a promo..

On a side note, Taker and Kane, imo, have never been any good on the mic and everything about this "feud" has been just terrible.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-rumor-mill-popular-wwe-superstar-to-be-removed-from-crown-jewel-match

There has to be something to this story given all the multiple reports we've seen regarding DB wanting to pull out. Wonder will they handle it as sloppily as they did by removing Cena from the World Cup

I've not watched the promo but was he talking about his entrance walk to the ring or was he describing how it's for fans watching his matches these days ?

https://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-news-renee-young-joining-crown-jewel-commentary-team-latest-upupdowndown/

Didn't expect this news for this show. I'm assuming if this is true Renee will have to cover her head and cover her arms when at ringside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

She'll have to commentate from the production truck.

This is a disaster of a PPV. Bryan has to be just waiting out his contract now. Expect to see him at a big NJPW show working a stupid style.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is a disaster of a PPV. Bryan has to be just waiting out his contract now. Expect to see him at a big NJPW show working a stupid style.

Didn't Bryan sign a new contract recently? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Loughc wrote: »
    Didn't Bryan sign a new contract recently? :confused:

yea been widely reported hes signed a 3 year contract

The production truck ? Jesus she might as well be back in Stamford or in Florida where they can do live commentary from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So apparently, wwe are promoting
    Hulk Hogan
    for Crown Jewel now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Apparently they confirmed he's going to host the event.

I guess they figured if it's gonna be controversial anyway might as well double down.

ThePott wrote: »
    Apparently they confirmed he's going to host the event.

I guess they figured if it's gonna be controversial anyway might as well double down.

Someone on Reddit phrased it brilliantly...

"If your finger has already gone through the toilet paper, you might as well just use your hand."

At this rate the World Cup tournament will be renamed the Chris Benoit Invitational.

sirmanga wrote: »
    At this rate the World Cup tournament will be renamed the Chris Benoit Invitational.

Or as I said last year before mania the Jimmy Snuka hotel room invitational.

The fact it's on at four means this time unlike last time I won't be able to watch it live. I'm gutted as ye can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Someone on Reddit phrased it brilliantly...

"If your finger has already gone through the toilet paper, you might as well just use your hand."

"I am in blood stepp'd so far, that should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go'er"

Very appropriate quote from Macbeth

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

WON on Bryan and the Saudi Arbia situation

Evidently Bryan, who knew little or nothing about Saudi Arabia until he got there, largely felt he couldn’t go back under those circumstances. It wasn’t so much that the women weren’t allowed to perform, even though he’s married to a woman wrestler and has a sister-in-law who wrestles. But the key was what he learned about the treatment of homosexuals, and also, that they wouldn’t allow Sami Zayn to perform on the show, and he considered that racism.

It was not the current controversy over Khashoggi that evidently made him make his decision, although one would think it made him feel more strongly that his decision wasn’t wrong.

He had asked to lose to The Miz in Australia in the match where the winner would get the title shot. It’s not clear if that was because he knew the title shot was coming in Saudi Arabia, or because he felt that it wasn’t time yet to get his conclusive win which would come across as the blow-off of the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

sirmanga wrote: »

That would work. Or double-down with a reference to ECW and call it "November to Dismember".

Lord TSC wrote: »

Evidently Bryan, who knew little or nothing about Saudi Arabia until he got there

I know Bryan is from Washington state and the stereotype is that people on the coastal states live in a bubble, but come on, Bryan hasn't been living on a different planet all his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lord TSC wrote: »

Evidently Bryan, who knew little or nothing about Saudi Arabia until he got there, largely felt he couldn’t go back under those circumstances. It wasn’t so much that the women weren’t allowed to perform, even though he’s married to a woman wrestler and has a sister-in-law who wrestles. But the key was what he learned about the treatment of homosexuals, and also, that they wouldn’t allow Sami Zayn to perform on the show, and he considered that racism.

It was not the current controversy over Khashoggi that evidently made him make his decision, although one would think it made him feel more strongly that his decision wasn’t wrong.

He had asked to lose to The Miz in Australia in the match where the winner would get the title shot. It’s not clear if that was because he knew the title shot was coming in Saudi Arabia, or because he felt that it wasn’t time yet to get his conclusive win which would come across as the blow-off of the program.

Why?

Sorry I may have missed something :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why?

Sorry I may have missed something :o

He is of Syrian descent.

There is tension between Saudi and Syria.

Advertisement