Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Crown Jewel - 2nd November (as it stands) - Spoilers and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is of Syrian descent.

There is tension between Saudi and Syria.

I didn't know Sami was

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I didn't know Sami was

Sami is also a huge asset for them in the rest of the Middle East as he is a fluent Arabic speaker.

So best not to burn his bridges with the rest of the Middle East as well and use him on a Saudi show.

I bet when they signed the half billion dollar deal they weren't thinking about regional politics just the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    For anyone who gives a **** here are the brackets for the world cup

Raw semis
    Seth Rollins vs Bobby Lashley
    Kurt Angle vs Dolph Ziggler

SD semis
    Jeff Hardy vs Miz
    Rey Mystero vs Randy Orton

Final is the winners of each brand section. 2 poor lads will have to perform 3 matches in the one night. Prob be a Kurt Angle vs Rey Mystero final

Potentially some great matches if they are given the time. Maybe they'll have Rollins get to the final and then have Ambrose cost him the match. Rollins vs Angle could be a dream match if Kurt could still put on a great match. Seth vs Jeff would be a great final.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I understand talent being in a difficult position on this..is it fair to criticize them in this? they’re trying to just say it’s another tour and they just want to entertain the fans around the world and so on. In Sheamus twitter he said they were off to Saudi Arabia and I think that’s the first direct mention of the country for a while by anyone at wwe. Is Renee being used by wwe as a PR tool by her supposed inclusion in the commentary team here? I’m not sure if I’ll watch yet. Regardless of the political side show, i simply don’t care about the Strowman/Brock match and especially the DX/Bod match. The foursome from the latter need to retire for real indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

Sami is also a huge asset for them in the rest of the Middle East as he is a fluent Arabic speaker.

So best not to burn his bridges with the rest of the Middle East as well and use him on a Saudi show.

I bet when they signed the half billion dollar deal they weren't thinking about regional politics just the money.

Half a billion deal ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

colmufc wrote: »
    Half a billion deal ???
    WWE instead has put Saudi Arabia on mute as backlash spreads against its lucrative long-term deal with a kingdom facing global uproar . The financials are murky but WWE is expected to make between $20 million and $40 million per event from two Saudi Arabian shows this year under a 10-year deal.

You can easily see where the half a billion comes from, especially spread over a decade.

https://apnews.com/3890e95b3ff84cf59ad779c679b391b1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jayus a lot of guys might come out retirement for a Saudi payday with money like that

We could get Sting vs Taker, Stone Cold vs Hogan yet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hopefully people would care then. Shawn Michaels, one of the best talents in the company's history makes his return to the ring tomorrow & almost nobody gives a sh*t.
    That's sad but the majority see these shows for what they are a payday for the company & a few select others while also providing mainly meaningless content for the network. I don't even need to belittle the Saudi's or tourism propaganda to talk down these shows.

Nice to see HBK back in the ring but a tiny bit peed as he said in vicar street among many other interviews/appearances he would not come out of retirement as he believed it was done right and a return would tarnish that but here we are hes getting back in the ring and it could be a complete farce like this whole ppv

Anyway won't see the event live but will deff watching when I get the chance. It's a stacked card and we could finally see Braun win a world title (he is the Saudi champion)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

That sweet sweet Saudi cash lured him back.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    That sweet sweet Saudi cash lured him back.

The bald bastard will be dancing anyways lol

I'd love if he stole the show but the BOD are the wrong people for that. I'd imagine Bryan or Styles could have a great match with HBK if it was done right

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    You can easily see where the half a billion comes from, especially spread over a decade.

https://apnews.com/3890e95b3ff84cf59ad779c679b391b1

So it could be as little as $200m to a max of $400m that's a massive deal it still not half a billion , I'd imagine this deal will be thrown out in the next year or two , vince sees the $$$signs and he will see less of them on his home product if they keep this up , less and less talent will want to be involved and without the likes of cena and bringing back the big stars the Saudis will lose interest anyway
    More than likely they will target all the high profile sports they can but I can't see many doing deals with them being so toxic
    As a man united fan I'm not happy with the current owners but I'd be sickened if the club ended up in the crown princes hands there is a distinct lack of knowledge of the saudi regime and the more that comes to light the more they hide
    Vince really needs to see long term here but unfortunately his eye is off the ball with the xfl launch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

So it could be as little as $200m to a max of $400m that's a massive deal it still not half a billion

It's 20-40millon per event with 2 events a year for 10 years. You need to double both your totals so half a billion is definitely within reach if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

So it could be as little as $200m to a max of $400m that's a massive deal it still not half a billion

It's 20-40millon per event with 2 events a year for 10 years. You need to double both your totals so half a billion is definitely within reach if not more.

Yes true ,sorry my bad , however does anyone see this going the full 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Yes true ,sorry my bad , however does anyone see this going the full 10 years

the saudis do seem to be mounting full scale trying to get sporting events there with european tour golf announcing an event there and nadal vs djokovic set for later this year so wwe isnt the only ones taking there money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Nakamura Vs Rusev for the US Title added to the preshow for this. For anyone still interested brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Loughc wrote: »
    Nakamura Vs Rusev for the US Title added to the preshow for this. For anyone still interested brother.

I'm sure it's been said before, but what is the point in these pre shows? People will watch the pre show on the Network and will then watch the main show on the Network right after it. So who is the pre show supposed to entice into watching the main show? It's the same people watching both for goodness sake.

I remember the old Free for All events before PPVs back in the 90s, but they were designed to get people to buy the PPV. This pre show nonsense, though, just seems like WWE trying to make itself feel like a real sport, just as the NFL have these pre game panels and such before big games.

The pre show and the stupid little countdown "just under 25 minutes until Crown Jewel kicks off, right here on the WWE Network.." is just pure and utter waffle.

It is almost as annoying as ads promoting the Network while you are watching the Network. It's like going to see a film and they play the trailer of the film you're about to watch.
    Of course, some will say WWE play these ads to get seasonal subscribers to stay with the Network.
    How about putting on an incredible wrestling show?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sirmanga wrote: »
    How about putting on an incredible wrestling show?

Because according to Vince we don't watch WWE for the wrestling we watch it for the stories. :rolleyes:

You made a great point to be fair about the preshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Not read the thread but what time does the show commence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rusev has really redefined the "jobber to the stars" tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not read the thread but what time does the show commence?

4pm our time. I assume preshow at 3.

I think the preshow is on YouTube?

Frankly Rusev should win the title since WWE have succeeded in making me not care about it or Nakamura. Not that I had much interest in him anyway,to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

sirmanga wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been said before, but what is the point in these pre shows?

Not sure how effective it is but the pre-show is generally put on Youtube for free with the idea that people who don't have the network will enjoy it and pay to watch the show.

Again, I doubt it's that big a success but that's the thinking behind it. I can't imagine many peope have watched the preshow and get the network based on it though, especially considering the lack of quality on the preshow normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

ThePott wrote: »
    Not sure how effective it is but the pre-show is generally put on Youtube for free with the idea that people who don't have the network will enjoy it and pay to watch the show.

Again, I doubt it's that big a success but that's the thinking behind it. I can't imagine many peope have watched the preshow and get the network based on it though, especially considering the lack of quality on the preshow normally.

They had preshows on YouTube before the network

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

oneilla wrote: »
    They had preshows on YouTube before the network

They still do

Nak retains

Seems to be more 'Civilans' in the front rows than the GRR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm aware but my point was that the reason the network is plugged so much on the pre-show is that the not everyone watching it has the network in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Officer999

Why doesn't Otunga wrestle anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Oh Brother...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Interesting that he didn't mention Saudi Arabia once in that promo

Advertisement