Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2019 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

Just heard back from my GP - my bloods came back.

Apparently my HCG level was only at 150 last Wednesday, that seems awfully low for 5+3. I'm really worried about this and googling obsessively.

Most of the internet says that it's not something to worry about and I should wait for a scan. Even my doctor told me that it's nothing concerning at the moment but that with my cramps it could be all a bad sign.

So I have 3 weeks of being sick with worry until I can have the scan on the 23rd.

Sigh.

Hi Gwen,

I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert, I'm pregnant on my first too.
    I have read on other sites about low HCG and some women it turned out that maybe they weren't as far along as they first thought. Also if your GP told you not to be worried then that is a good sign.
    I was fairly crampy for the first few weeks when I found out I'm pregnant so I don't think they are anything to worry about once the pain isn't severe and you aren't bleeding heavily.
    Would you consider going for an early scan? There's a place in Ballincollig that does them.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    Hi Gwen,

I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert, I'm pregnant on my first too.
    I have read on other sites about low HCG and some women it turned out that maybe they weren't as far along as they first thought. Also if your GP told you not to be worried then that is a good sign.
    I was fairly crampy for the first few weeks when I found out I'm pregnant so I don't think they are anything to worry about once the pain isn't severe and you aren't bleeding heavily.
    Would you consider going for an early scan? There's a place in Ballincollig that does them.

Hi Sparkles! :)

My boyfriend has been doing an amazing job researching and bombarding me with success stories since I told him that I'm worried about that. He found a woman who's level was even lower than mine and she delivered healthy twins.

He also found a woman who is not pregnant according to HCG levels, and she's over 7 weeks.

The place in Ballincolling was one of the first things I checked. I'm going to Brussels with my boyfriend this weekend, so I hoped that I can have the scan before that so I don't have to worry. Unfortunately they only do scans from 8 weeks up, I'm only at 6+2 today.

I messaged my good friend who works as a midwife in CUMH. She's very straightforward and I believe that if it was bad news, she would tell me. She said that it's no cause for concern. The only time I should be worried was if there were multiple blood tests and the HCG wasn't going up.

So I'm done worrying, don't want to stress too much.

Everything is sunshine and unicorns and rainbows and Brussels. :D

How are you getting on?

Hi Sparkles! :)

My boyfriend has been doing an amazing job researching and bombarding me with success stories since I told him that I'm worried about that. He found a woman who's level was even lower than mine and she delivered healthy twins.

He also found a woman who is not pregnant according to HCG levels, and she's over 7 weeks.

The place in Ballincolling was one of the first things I checked. I'm going to Brussels with my boyfriend this weekend, so I hoped that I can have the scan before that so I don't have to worry. Unfortunately they only do scans from 8 weeks up, I'm only at 6+2 today.

I messaged my good friend who works as a midwife in CUMH. She's very straightforward and I believe that if it was bad news, she would tell me. She said that it's no cause for concern. The only time I should be worried was if there were multiple blood tests and the HCG wasn't going up.

So I'm done worrying, don't want to stress too much.

Everything is sunshine and unicorns and rainbows and Brussels. :D

How are you getting on?

Ah he's so good, keep positive :)

Oh very good, I was in Brussels in March. You won't get to go mad on the Belgian beer this time lol ;)

I'm doing good, I had my dating scan last Tuesday which put me at 9+1. I got pregnant straight after coming off the pill so that's why it was early. My next one is on the 21st. It was great to see the baby on the screen, it actually feels more real now!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluebell01

Just heard back from my GP - my bloods came back.

Apparently my HCG level was only at 150 last Wednesday, that seems awfully low for 5+3. I'm really worried about this and googling obsessively.
    Try not to worry! I think (as you said) it's only worrying if you test HCG twice and the levels don't go up. Also, are you sure you're as far gone as you think? If I count from my last period I'm 7 weeks but if I count from my ovulation date I'm 6+4. Sometimes the two dates could be totally different. I've been temping for months so pretty sure when I ovulated.

Also, I know the place in Ballincollig doesn't do internal scans but if you can find somewhere that does internal scans I'm sure they'll do one for reassurance. These can be done from 6-7 weeks. They do them in Dan Mc'Kenna's private rooms but not sure if they are offered to outside patients. But might be worth a try! If you Google Cork Mother and Baby Scans you'll find details..

I had a gp appointment today anyway. Got the flu vaccine. Also figured out what she was on about with regards the booking appointment. She basically said that CUMH mainly take referrals through fax. My doctors office is in my workplace and for some reason can't to referrals via fax due to privacy or something. So they refer via a private email system. However! CUMH's systems never receive these emails for some reason. So what she was saying was if I haven't got a letter by 10 weeks to call CUMH and see if they got the referral.

Then she asked if I was interested in the domino scheme and I said yes so she said that it would be better to get my appointment sooner so to call CUMH today! So I did and of course they didn't get my email referral so the lovely lady on the phone booked my appointment over the phone and just told me to bring the referral letter to the appointment. So my 12 week (11 really) scan/appointment is December 10th which I'm delighted about. Much earlier than I thought.

I also booked an early scan for Saturday week the 17th in the place in Ballincollig.

The nausea was awful yesterday. Vomited once and also did this morning. I feel a lot better today though. I think it was so bad yesterday as I was also wrecked tired. Went to bed at 10pm last night so feel much better today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wideawake1

Don't know much about hcg levels, but when Dr gave me a date at the early scan, it was 2 days behind where I calculated it to be. Also, the app I was initially using counted the first few days as week 1, where it should have started on week 0. I was out by 1 week and 2 days!!! Ahhh!!

If anyone has tips on any good apps, please share.

My uterus is tilted backwards, think the Dr was getting worried that there was nothing there and it was all in my head... he stressed, I stressed, my husband stressed... but then we tried the internal scan, and there is was, heart beating, not even 7 wks! Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭MFPM

Hi all - great to read all the posts. My OH is due towards the end of June 2019, this is our third pregnancy, unfortunately the first was a mis-carriage, the second earlier this year was a missed mis-carriage. It's been tough but we're hopeful and very nervous at the moment. Hoping for an early scan next week or the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Minnie2017

Welcome MFPM, and here’s hoping for a safe and healthy pregnancy and baby. How’s your missus feeling?

And how’s all the other ladies doing?

MFPM wrote: »
    Hi all - great to read all the posts. My OH is due towards the end of June 2019, this is our third pregnancy, unfortunately the first was a mis-carriage, the second earlier this year was a missed mis-carriage. It's been tough but we're hopeful and very nervous at the moment. Hoping for an early scan next week or the week after.

Congrats to both of you. Hope all will be well with this pregnancy.

I'm 7 weeks now. Got my letter from CUMH today so confirmed for the 10th of December. Delighted I phoned them this week as I'd say there's no way I'd have got an appointment that early otherwise.

The nausea is really getting me down. Not vomiting that much, barely once a day, but the nausea is 24 hours. Even moving makes me feel sick. Been living on toast and cereal bars. Everything else makes me gag. And I usually have a huge appetite and always going out for lunch, brunch and dinner. I've almost called in sick to work a few times but feel bad. Will see how it goes.

Really hope it doesn't get worse as I'll be going on holiday for a long weekend break when I'm 9-10 weeks. Not really looking forward to that now!

bluebell01 wrote: »
    Congrats to both of you. Hope all will be well with this pregnancy.

I'm 7 weeks now. Got my letter from CUMH today so confirmed for the 10th of December. Delighted I phoned them this week as I'd say there's no way I'd have got an appointment that early otherwise.

The nausea is really getting me down. Not vomiting that much, barely once a day, but the nausea is 24 hours. Even moving makes me feel sick. Been living on toast and cereal bars. Everything else makes me gag. And I usually have a huge appetite and always going out for lunch, brunch and dinner. I've almost called in sick to work a few times but feel bad. Will see how it goes.

Really hope it doesn't get worse as I'll be going on holiday for a long weekend break when I'm 9-10 weeks. Not really looking forward to that now!

Thanks for the good wishes, it's all a bit nerve wracking! Fingers and everything else crossed :)

Sorry to hear about the nausea - sounds rough, hopefully it passes soon. It's great you have your appointment.

Minnie2017 wrote: »
    Welcome MFPM, and here’s hoping for a safe and healthy pregnancy and baby. How’s your missus feeling?

Thanks Minnie - here's hoping! My OH is fine, nervous but trying to stay focused. We have an early scan next week!

Hope you're doing well.

• Advertisement

MFPM wrote: »

Thanks Minnie - here's hoping! My OH is fine, nervous but trying to stay focused. We have an early scan next week!

Hope you're doing well.

The first trimester really is an emotional rollercoaster!

I’m doing ok, 7 weeks now so keeping the fingers crossed

Please keep your fingers crossed for me - very light spotting started on Sunday, it’s still there along with bad back pain.

Tried to call the emergency room in the maternity hospital last night to ask for an advice and nobody would answer the bloody phone!

Rang my GP this morning who told me to come in. She took my bloods and is testing it the HCG level went up.

If it hasn’t, it’s the end game.

If it has gone up, there’s still a chance.

I’m on bed rest for the rest of the week, anxiously awaiting the results - she should call me on Thursday at the latest.

I’m so scared that I’m losing my baby. We wanted it to work out so much.

Oh Gwen, keeping the fingers crossed for you. Has it stayed light or gotten heavier?

If it’s any confort I’ve been spotting for over a week now. The coombe told me not to worry or come in unless I was filling a pad every half hour. So I’m staying positive.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me - very light spotting started on Sunday, it’s still there along with bad back pain.

Tried to call the emergency room in the maternity hospital last night to ask for an advice and nobody would answer the bloody phone!

Rang my GP this morning who told me to come in. She took my bloods and is testing it the HCG level went up.

If it hasn’t, it’s the end game.

If it has gone up, there’s still a chance.

I’m on bed rest for the rest of the week, anxiously awaiting the results - she should call me on Thursday at the latest.

I’m so scared that I’m losing my baby. We wanted it to work out so much.

Hi Gwen - I know this is incredibly stressful, if it's possible just present yourself to A&E - they'll be very understanding, there may be absolutely nothing to worry about but at least they'd do a scan. Keeping fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Hi Gwen, I can’t imagine how stressful and worrying this must be. Sending positive thoughts and keeping my fingers crosssd for you that every thing will be ok x

How you doing Gwen? Hope all is ok?

Thanks everyone for you concern and thoughts.

It’s not looking well at all.

I’m supposed to be 7+3, scan is showing a baby not bigger than 5+6. That itself would be ok, I’ve had an irregular cycle before and it’s possible that it happened again and we conceived a few days later.

There was a heartbeat. The sonographer didn’t say how fast the heart is beating, but it was definitely at least 2 beats a second from the glimpse I got.

My HCG levels are still extremely low. It was 150 about 2 weeks ago, it’s 417 now. It’s supposed to double every 48 hours, so it should be higher.

The biggest problem was that the gestational sac is currently positioned in the centre of the uterus, which according to the sonographer means that it’s on the way out.

I can’t get over the heartbeat. I didn’t expect to see that. I knew it’s going to be bad news but I’m really having a hard time trying to accept that my baby is inside of me, heart beating, and it’s about to die. And all I can do as his mum is just to wait until it’s dead and out of me.

Until today the baby was sort of just an abstract term, but today I saw it. It has a heartbeat. There’s 99% chance of miscarriage. And there’s nothing I can do to help it.

I’m crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jebus111

Gwen. I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through. I've had 3 losses. The last one one was horrendous with no heartbeat, then a heartbeat, then I suddenly bled and it was all over. It was horrific and a very hard time. I lost my beautiful mam in the middle of it all too. It can be so hard. You're not alone. You will get through this. X

I am currently 6 months pregnant with my much yearned for rainbow baby.

Oh Gwen, my heart is breaking for you. I’m so sorry to hear this, was hoping you’d had a scan and all was well. Mind yourself girl x

Thanks everyone for you concern and thoughts.

It’s not looking well at all.

I’m supposed to be 7+3, scan is showing a baby not bigger than 5+6. That itself would be ok, I’ve had an irregular cycle before and it’s possible that it happened again and we conceived a few days later.

There was a heartbeat. The sonographer didn’t say how fast the heart is beating, but it was definitely at least 2 beats a second from the glimpse I got.

My HCG levels are still extremely low. It was 150 about 2 weeks ago, it’s 417 now. It’s supposed to double every 48 hours, so it should be higher.

The biggest problem was that the gestational sac is currently positioned in the centre of the uterus, which according to the sonographer means that it’s on the way out.

I can’t get over the heartbeat. I didn’t expect to see that. I knew it’s going to be bad news but I’m really having a hard time trying to accept that my baby is inside of me, heart beating, and it’s about to die. And all I can do as his mum is just to wait until it’s dead and out of me.

Until today the baby was sort of just an abstract term, but today I saw it. It has a heartbeat. There’s 99% chance of miscarriage. And there’s nothing I can do to help it.

I’m crushed.

Hey Gwen - I'm really, really sorry for what you're going through. There's nothing anyone can or will say that makes it easier. We've been through it twice, the last time was earlier this year and it was/is painful....stay strong, you're not alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Hi Gwen, I’m not in this thread (or even pregnant) but I wanted to say how sorry I was to read this. I’ve had 3 miscarriages myself, first one Christmas week 2015, it’s heartbreaking.

I now have an almost 6 month old little girl who I never thought we’d have after all we’d been through.

Look after yourself xx

Gwen, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Mind yourself xx

So sorry to hear, Gwen. Don't know what else to say really. It must be so hard. Take care of yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wideawake1

So sorry Gwen, can't imagine how hard this is for you, and i wish there were words that could offer you some comfort.

Thank you so much for the support everyone. Please don’t let this thread die just because I brought in bad news.

We’re still waiting for the scan on Friday to see what happens. There’s every chance of miscarriage, but we try to stay optimistic and focus on the fact that there was a heartbeat there.

Seeing that little heart beating last week was the most magical thing ever. I’ve honestly never seen anything so beautiful.

Enough about my feelings though, how are you all doing? I’m too invested in your stories now and I’m not leaving this thread until I know that you all have healthy and happy babies at home in June! :)

Hi Gwen,

I’ve been thinking about you the last few days. Fingers crossed for tomorrow now

We’ve our private scan this weekend too. It’ll be so nice to have peace of mind after the few weeks spotting. Apart from that I’m just exhausted and am dosed with a head cold too

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WaveWatcher

Hi everyone.
    I'm wondering if anyone is having trouble getting their first antenatal appointment. I'm from the north west but work in dublin and having trouble arranging my initial appointment. My GP in the NW sent my referral to the central appointments unit on Oct 30th, and again Nov 16th.

I've been on the phone to the hospital every week (no one home to get my post) to see when my appointment is so I can make arrangements with work for working from home/ holidays on my appointment day.

Today is the latest day I've been onto them and still no sign of my appointment, they kindly put me through to the central appointments unit and they have nothing on record.

Receptionist at the GP tells me it was sent and they received an acknowledgement back, but that's not what I'm heading from the appointments service.

Im 10 +4 at this stage and feel it's getting a bit late for this appointment to be sorted out.

Im considering avoiding the NW option now and have my appointments and baby in dublin and move home for maternity.

Thank you so much for the support everyone. Please don’t let this thread die just because I brought in bad news.

We’re still waiting for the scan on Friday to see what happens. There’s every chance of miscarriage, but we try to stay optimistic and focus on the fact that there was a heartbeat there.

Seeing that little heart beating last week was the most magical thing ever. I’ve honestly never seen anything so beautiful.

Thinking of you Gwen and hoping for good news on Friday. :)

We’ve our private scan this weekend too. It’ll be so nice to have peace of mind after the few weeks spotting. Apart from that I’m just exhausted and am dosed with a head cold too

Best of luck with your scan Minnie, hope all goes well. I had my private scan on Saturday and all looked perfect. Measuring 8+1 which is exactly as I had put myself according to my ovulation date. Never been so nervous going to something ever. Still feel like I can't relax until my 12 week scan though..
    Hi everyone.
    I'm wondering if anyone is having trouble getting their first antenatal appointment. I'm from the north west but work in dublin and having trouble arranging my initial appointment. My GP in the NW sent my referral to the central appointments unit on Oct 30th, and again Nov 16th.

I've been on the phone to the hospital every week (no one home to get my post) to see when my appointment is so I can make arrangements with work for working from home/ holidays on my appointment day.

Today is the latest day I've been onto them and still no sign of my appointment, they kindly put me through to the central appointments unit and they have nothing on record.

Receptionist at the GP tells me it was sent and they received an acknowledgement back, but that's not what I'm heading from the appointments service.

Im 10 +4 at this stage and feel it's getting a bit late for this appointment to be sorted out.

Im considering avoiding the NW option now and have my appointments and baby in dublin and move home for maternity.

My referral letter never arrived at the hospital (CUMH) even-though it was sent. Wasn't a problem though. The lady on the appointments phone line booked me in and gave me my date there and then. Got the letter a few days later. She just said to bring the GP letter with me. Surely they could do the same for you. All hospitals are different though.

I'm still feeling nauseous/getting sick and wrecked all the time. Lots of major food aversions. It's starting to get me down a bit although I feel bad for feeling down as I'm very lucky to be pregnant. Work is exhausting. I'm too tired to do anything in the evenings and I'm used to exercising, going for walks, meeting friends for dinner but no energy to do anything now. I told my Mother at the weekend that I'm pregnant. She is delighted. But she did say she didn't enjoy her pregnancies at all. She did she it gets better after a few months so here's hoping.

Good to see you back Gwen - good luck with the scan tomorrow, I know how tough this all is.

Minnie2017 - all the best for the weekend, hope everything goes well.

My OH had her early scan on Tuesday (8 +5) everything seems good so far, it was really stressful and emotional given our previous experience. She's due back just before xmas for 12 week scan.

Wavewatcher - sorry you're having trouble getting your appointment. I see you're in the NW - we got our appt. in Sligo General - we got notification less than a week after the GP made the referral.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, am nervously looking forward to it and keeping positive.

Bluebell - I think we may have the same due date. Are you 9 weeks tomorrow? Also for what it’s worth, I didn’t enjoy my previous pregnancy much. I know some women who love it, and I am not one of them

MFPM, how magical was the first scan? Glad to hear alls going well so far

Advertisement