Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2019 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluebell01

MFPM wrote: »

My OH had her early scan on Tuesday (8 +5) everything seems good so far, it was really stressful and emotional given our previous experience. She's due back just before xmas for 12 week scan.

So glad the scan went well. Must be such a relief!
    Minnie2017 wrote: »
    Thanks all, am nervously looking forward to it and keeping positive.

Bluebell - I think we may have the same due date. Are you 9 weeks tomorrow? Also for what it’s worth, I didn’t enjoy my previous pregnancy much. I know some women who love it, and I am not one of them

Yes, 8+6 today going by ovulation date/scan measurements. 9+2 according going by my last period dates. We could both easily have our babies in July I'd say :) I'm actually feeling a lot better now. Took the day off work today as I've been exhausted and have a dreadful cough. Will go back in tomorrow as I always feel horrendously guilty for taking time off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭MFPM

MFPM, how magical was the first scan? Glad to hear alls going well so far

Yeah, it was pretty amazing!
    bluebell01 wrote: »
    Yes, 8+6 today going by ovulation date/scan measurements. 9+2 according going by my last period dates. We could both easily have our babies in July I'd say

I think we could be July too, 9 weeks today!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

So the scan this morning was heartbreaking.

It was a different woman this time (what do you call them? Technician? Sonographer?), so I briefed her on what the last one said.

10 days ago we were told that the sac is positioned too low in the uterus and that there is something wrong in the gestational sac and that it’s clearly going to end up in a miscarriage, despite the heartbeat.

I asked the new technician about it today and she said that from looking at the pictures from last week the sac is in a bad position, however everything else looks normal and she wouldn’t be that pessimistic. I shot my boyfriend a hopeful look - we were preparing ourselves for the worst for the last 10 days after what we’ve been told, and suddenly this woman tells us that it’s not looking that hopeless.

I felt like something lit up inside of me. I was suddenly sure that everything is going to be ok, that my gut feeling was wrong, that the other technician was wrong. I had a bit of hope and I held on to it with my entire being. I saw the same look in my boyfriend’s eyes and for a split second I was so happy and I swear I even believed in miracles.

Then she started the scan and was poking around for way too long without saying anything. I couldn’t see the screen, but my boyfriend could. He looked at me and shook his head slowly. He knew already what she was going to say - the sac is gone.

She then told me that all that’s left in my uterus is just a bit of blood which is normal and will come out within the next few days.

I was nodding and smiling at her and joking around, not sure why. Maybe I didn’t want her to feel bad for having to give us bad news. Maybe I was still high on that bit of hope we had just before the scan. Maybe I was trying to stay strong for my boyfriend who I knew will be devastated (although he was very brave and didn’t give in to the grief immediately).

After we got out of the room, I needed to pop into the toilet and as soon as the door closed behind me, I started sobbing uncontrollably. It only lasted a minute until I collected myself and walked out of the bathroom like nothing is happening.

I’m trying to console myself with the following (yes, I actually made a list):

1. We had a chance to see the baby and his little heartbeat at least once, some people don’t even get that chance. I’m so grateful for that because it was the most beautiful and magical thing I have ever seen.

2. We lost the baby very early on, sometime between week 6 and 7. I probably wouldn’t be able to cope if it happened later and also at least the baby wasn’t aware of anything yet. Had it happened later I would forever torture myself with the thought of my baby dying alone and scared inside of my body.

3. My miscarriage was very peaceful (as far as peaceful a miscarriage can be). There was no heavy bleeding or no intense pain. Just some extremely light spotting and the odd mild cramps. I didn’t have to go to the hospital with any issues (other than having the scans) and as everything is out already, I don’t need to take any pills or have any procedures to remove any remaining tissue.

4. The support I got was nothing short of amazing. I told quite a few people what’s happening and everybody was incredible. My boss paid for a taxi to take me home from his own money just so I don’t have to take a bus. My friend was driving me places. She also offered to drive me to the beach and just sit in the car and wait for me while I sit there and stare at the sea for hours. Colleagues from work sent me a bouquet so big that I have to keep the vase on the floor because it’s too big to fit anywhere. I received countless messages during the last few days from people trying to make sure that I’m ok and that I don’t need anything.

5. The support I can give - There is still a bit of stigma around miscarriage and people tend to keep it to themselves. I am the kind of person who needs to talk about the bad experiences in life, so I’m going to take advantage of that and use the experience to help others. I’m quite a good writer when I set my mind to it, so maybe I can start a blog, or maybe send a story to a magazine, paint a picture, let other people know that they’re not alone and I’m available if they need to talk. I’m not sure yet what I’m going to do but I want to do something to help people who to through the same thing. That way I will be able to turn this miscarriage into something positive and honour the baby this way.

Today it’s been exactly four weeks since I found out I’m pregnant. I can’t believe it’s been only 4 weeks. I found out that I’m pregnant on October 26th. I did the test in a disabled toilet behind Nandos in Mahon Point shopping centre in Cork after I got out of the cinema where i watched the original Ghostbusters for Halloween. That’s where this whole journey started. It felt much longer than 4 weeks.

I was so excited to have this baby. I have a list of names with “8:45” scribbled under it because it was the nearest piece of paper I found when I was calling the emergency room in the maternity hospital when the bleeding started and I needed to note the time for the scan the next day.

All I have left now is a little picture from the scan from November 14th. That’s the only picture to remember this baby by. It looks like a little toenail-shaped noodle that had a little signal light for a heart on the scan. And it’s the most beautiful little noodle ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Minnie2017

Gwen, I read your post with tears in my eyes. What an incredibly strong lady you are, and seeing the positives so early. I’m sending you massive hugs. You and your partner will be in my thoughts, mind yourself and each other xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭MFPM

So sorry for your news Gwen - we've been through this recently and it's incredibly hard. Stay strong and stay positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 wideawake1

Morning Sickness - My Attempts at a Cure

Hi all, hope everyone is getting on ok.

I wanted to share with you some of what I have tried and the progress that I've made on the cure-less and crucifying morning sickness. I'm feeling nauseous pretty much all the time, vomited a couple of times, and have in general struggled with it over the past few weeks. It seems never ending. Below are some of the different things that I have tried and how they have worked for me:

Cereal - I reduced my breakfast to a bowl of the 79c a box Hoops cereal from Aldi. Stuff is odourless, and pretty much tasteless, but still couldn't keep it down in the morning. There are Pro's to this breakfast though - At least the milk eased the flow when it came back up and after throwing it up I felt a million times better.

Dry biscuits / Crackers - I tried to move to a completely dry breakfast of ginger nuts or crackers first thing in the morning, eating a few before getting out of bed. This proved to be a very bad idea, when it comes back up, with no milky lubrication it feels like my throat is being ripped out, my stomach is heaving and I'm choking (this is when my husband is most likely to pretending to be asleep, but I know he can hear me choking on my own vomit).

No Breakfast - Now I am just leaving my stomach empty for a couple of hours. I get a late scone breakfast and I seem to be managing on that.

Eat Something When You Can - In general, if I don't eat, I feel worse, so I try to eat something (usually pretty slowly) when I can. Between lunch and dinner can also cause some suffering, so I try to get a snack in here.

Pears - For some reason I can eat a bottomless pit of pears - fresh or canned (in own juice), one night I ate 6+ of the things. Also, these little guys are packed full of fiber, so they help with the general flow of everything else, which is a really helpful! (Tried prunes for their help with the constipation as well... but they went down and straight back up!)

Cheddar Cheese - I seem to be able to eat cheese as well! Can't eat dinner in the evening - try a few cream crackers with a mild cheddar cheese. You might even manage a glass of milk with it!

Accu Wrist Straps - You can get these from the Chemist, worth trying. They may have taken the edge off for me, but have no means been a cure.

Ginger - I have saved the best to last. Found something online about grating ginger into water and boiling for 10 mins, straining, then adding a wedge of line (optional) and some honey (optional to taste). This may not provide a long lasting cure, but has definitely had the best and most immediate effect on my stomach and has been the closest thing to a cure that I can find. I tend to make two cups at a time, put one in the fridge when it cools, and heat it in the microwave for 2 mins the next day. Also I like to make things easy for myself, Aldi do frozen ginger pieces, which seem to be just as effective as fresh root ginger... (Not trying to advertise for Aldi, maybe other shops stock this as well, I just do my shopping there and know that they supply it).

So, if I were to recommend one thing... its definitely boiling the ginger... it has definitely given me the most relief.

Hope everyone else is getting on ok, and some of this helps someone. Anyone else have anything they have tried that has worked well for them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Jumping in to say ginger biscuits or crackers are always good for a nibble.I always found stuff high in fat or rich to be the hardest to digest, so plain simple food in small amounts was the way to go.On baba no.3,it was low fat everything, milk, yoghurt everything, full fat made me so ill/gave me vicious heartburn.Sugar free granola or weetabix, with low fat milk was breakfast.I could drink apple juice til the cows came home on all three babies.No.3 was by far the worst sickness and heartburn (also my only boy coincidentally, and a 10lb+ baby as it turned out...I was utterly miserable the first and third trimester, so ya know, most of the pregnancy!!!), but I could eat loads of grapes cold from the fridge and bizarrely, a couple of mouthfuls of coca cola often settled my stomach too.

Best of luck with it all!

My tips are vitamin B6 tablets which you can get in boots/health food places. 50mg a day preferably taken in 2 doses. I also take a ginger tablet before bed. I have prescribed valoid tablets but they make me really tired so don’t really take them as I’m tired enough as it is! I know these are all tips in tablet form but b6 is recommend by many health professionals and is an ingredient in cariban which is prescribed for morning sickness here. I stopped taking it for a few days and the difference was crazy.

With regards food I just eat whatever I feel like as most things make me feel sick. I find if I get too hungry I feel the sickest but I know everyone is different. Saying that I’ve been a lot better this week and getting better every week! Will be 10 weeks tomorrow.

Thankfully I’ve just had some nausea when a passenger in cars. I find a small glass of coke helps settle my stomach once we arrive.

Can’t actually believe how fast the weeks are going by this time round. 10 wks today

Got my b6 and Apple juice. Thanks for the advice... something else to try. 11 weeks for me. Can't wait to get into the 2nd trimester and say good bye to the fatigue and nausea.

Now I need to come up with excuses for not going to Xmas parties or drinking when I'm out... can only have a "chest infection" for so long. Still keeping the news under wraps.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I’m going to leave this thread now.

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck with your pregnancies, hopefully everything will run smoothly and you will all deliver beautiful and healthy babies.

I’ll be thinking of you and will come to check on you all around June! :)

All the best,
    Gwen

Hi all,

I’m going to leave this thread now.

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck with your pregnancies, hopefully everything will run smoothly and you will all deliver beautiful and healthy babies.

I’ll be thinking of you and will come to check on you all around June! :)

All the best,
    Gwen

Best of luck Gwen. Hoping that this experience won't put you off trying again and that everything works out for you next time. Xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

My god heartbreaking to read Gwens story :( Hop you're ok

Im looking for a bit of advice myself. My other half and I had our scan 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine healthy baby no issues

However she went to her GP Monday for a routine check up . He used some old relic machine to try find the heartbeat and said he couldnt . He said its nothing to worry about as its very early to use his one and it would normally be 16 weeks on he can use it

She has gone into a huge panic and wont stop worrying

And yes i know, the GP is a clown

Im looking for a bit of advice myself. My other half and I had our scan 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine healthy baby no issues

However she went to her GP Monday for a routine check up . He used some old relic machine to try find the heartbeat and said he couldnt . He said its nothing to worry about as its very early to use his one and it would normally be 16 weeks on he can use it

I'm better now, thanks. To add to the positivity in my life and to make my Christmas more enjoyable, now it looks like my boyfriend is going to break up with me. I'm being ghosted and he hardly talks to me. I thought maybe he's just mourning the baby but now it's becoming more and more clear that it's just a matter of time until he finally agrees to meet up with me and he'll end it. I'm SO ready to be done with 2018. :D

I don't know much about those heartbeat detectors and I don't have any experience with them, however from what I've heard, it depends on many things if you want to detect the heartbeat. The baby can be turned in a different position that wouldn't allow it etc.

I even heard people saying that you shouldn't be getting these devices as it's very hard to detect heartbeat with them and then you only end up being worried. I believe that you're ok, but I would also maybe check with another doctor, maybe the hospital, so you don't get too stressed about it. :)

Fingers crossed!

Sounds like a clown alright... If the machine wouldn't have picked up the heart beat until 16 weeks, despite his good intentions, he should never have used it!!

I'm at 12 weeks and have just had a second scan. Given that I'm a bit older, the first scan was really for reassurance, I was stressed out and knew that once the heart beat was detected I'd be at a much much lower risk of losing the fetus.

For the first scan, at 7 weeks, the Dr could not find anything with the ultra sound, so had to do an internal scan, so some pretty sophisticated equipment used. When I went back at 12 weeks, Dr scanned again, picked up the little one, but to be honest, there was a bit of a struggle (although he got it in the end... lots of poking and prodding) to hear the heart beat. So there is a bit to it.

Maybe more experience, or better equipment needed than what your gp has, but you can buy fetal dopplers online, that you can use at home to pick up the baby's heart beat from 10 - 12 weeks! I haven't used one, so can't advise how good they are, but maybe someone else in the group might have?

My fear, if you pick up one of these is that, although they may pick up the heart beat from as early as 10 - 12 weeks... they may not always work that early... and if you get one and don't pick up the heartbeat, you could make things worse!

I'm not a dr, but if you've already picked up a heartbeat on an earlier scan, you may be low risk, and given that your GP wasn't concerned and was likely taking a shot in the dark, he basically tried something that told you nothing.

Another option, if your other half is completely freaked out, is to fork out and pay for a private scan... €€€....

At the end of the day, your GP shouldn't have tried to use that equipment. If it was me, because I've already heard the heart beat, and taking into consideration that the GP has indicated that the machine won't pick up a heart beat until 16 weeks and wasn't concerned... I think id put it down to the GP being a clown.

I'm better now, thanks. To add to the positivity in my life and to make my Christmas more enjoyable, now it looks like my boyfriend is going to break up with me. I'm being ghosted and he hardly talks to me. I thought maybe he's just mourning the baby but now it's becoming more and more clear that it's just a matter of time until he finally agrees to meet up with me and he'll end it. I'm SO ready to be done with 2018. :D

I don't know much about those heartbeat detectors and I don't have any experience with them, however from what I've heard, it depends on many things if you want to detect the heartbeat. The baby can be turned in a different position that wouldn't allow it etc.

I even heard people saying that you shouldn't be getting these devices as it's very hard to detect heartbeat with them and then you only end up being worried. I believe that you're ok, but I would also maybe check with another doctor, maybe the hospital, so you don't get too stressed about it. :)

Fingers crossed!

Gwen, you are having a really bad run. I hope everything works out for you! Especially now, coming up to Xmas. Might be an idea to reach out to him for a chat, and ask him how he's doing. Both of you have been through a lot, but at least you'll know where you stand as a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

wideawake1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a clown alright... If the machine wouldn't have picked up the heart beat until 16 weeks, despite his good intentions, he should never have used it!!

I'm at 12 weeks and have just had a second scan. Given that I'm a bit older, the first scan was really for reassurance, I was stressed out and knew that once the heart beat was detected I'd be at a much much lower risk of losing the fetus.

For the first scan, at 7 weeks, the Dr could not find anything with the ultra sound, so had to do an internal scan, so some pretty sophisticated equipment used. When I went back at 12 weeks, Dr scanned again, picked up the little one, but to be honest, there was a bit of a struggle (although he got it in the end... lots of poking and prodding) to hear the heart beat. So there is a bit to it.

Maybe more experience, or better equipment needed than what your gp has, but you can buy fetal dopplers online, that you can use at home to pick up the baby's heart beat from 10 - 12 weeks! I haven't used one, so can't advise how good they are, but maybe someone else in the group might have?

My fear, if you pick up one of these is that, although they may pick up the heart beat from as early as 10 - 12 weeks... they may not always work that early... and if you get one and don't pick up the heartbeat, you could make things worse!

I'm not a dr, but if you've already picked up a heartbeat on an earlier scan, you may be low risk, and given that your GP wasn't concerned and was likely taking a shot in the dark, he basically tried something that told you nothing.

Another option, if your other half is completely freaked out, is to fork out and pay for a private scan... €€€....

At the end of the day, your GP shouldn't have tried to use that equipment. If it was me, because I've already heard the heart beat, and taking into consideration that the GP has indicated that the machine won't pick up a heart beat until 16 weeks and wasn't concerned... I think id put it down to the GP being a clown.

Thanks for that

It was this day 2 weeks ago we had the scan in the Rotunda and everything was fine so im trying to put her mind at ease

She has a check up again next week in the Rotunda so will just mention it to them when we are there

Oh Gwen you've had such an awful time. I really feel for you. Hope you're doing okay.

With regards the doppler it sounds like that's way too early to be using one. As far as I'm aware most midwives don't use one till at least 16 weeks. Those home ones are not supposed to be a great idea as apparently it can be difficult to tell what a heartbeat sounds like unless you are properly trained. There are petitions in the UK to have then banned! Some info here: link.

My 12 week scan is on Monday. Very nervous. I'm feeling so much better now though and not really nauseous at all anymore. Less wrecked too. Hope that's all normal. Clothes are also getting very tight. No bump just very very bloated. How's everyone else doing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Wouldn't go near those Dopplers til at least 16/17 week, not even comfortable using it then.
    Not a good move by the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dazza181

Hi All,

GF with our first is 14 weeks. After the 12 week scan the girl mentioned we may not get another until 30 weeks.
    We thought there'd be one at 20 weeks but she said that only higher risk would get the 20 week scan.
    Is the right?
    Is the 20 week scan important?
    Any advice appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

dazza181 wrote: »
    Hi All,

GF with our first is 14 weeks. After the 12 week scan the girl mentioned we may not get another until 30 weeks.
    We thought there'd be one at 20 weeks but she said that only higher risk would get the 20 week scan.
    Is the right?
    Any advice appreciated!

Congrats :)
    What hospital is it? They normally do the anomaly scan between 20 and 24 weeks I think. I'm having mine on January 24th in CUMH and I will be 21 weeks.
    Ye could always get the anomaly scan done privately but it will cost probably €200. Has she had her booking in appointment (I think that's what it's called!) It's the one where they ask all the medical history etc. It was at that I was told I will be having one anyway.

@dazza181 - the coombe do anatomy scans for everyone so I think it’s dependent on the hospital.

For peace of mind, I’d go private if you’re not going to get one.

dazza181 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is the right?
    Any advice appreciated!

The anomaly scan depends on the hospital. Pretty sure Tralee don't do them as standard for example. CUMH only started offering them to everyone as standard in the last year or 2. If I was you and your gf I'd be getting one done privately! So unfair that not all the hospitals offer them to everyone.

Happy new year everyone :)
    We're in the year now that our babies will be born....eeeekkkk!!
    How are we all doing?

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    Happy new year everyone :)
    We're in the year now that our babies will be born....eeeekkkk!!
    How are we all doing?

Still quite tired here. Waiting on the 2nd trimester energy burst and glow to hit ha

How you doing?

Still quite tired here. Waiting on the 2nd trimester energy burst and glow to hit ha

How you doing?

How many weeks are you now Minnie?
    I'm 18 weeks and still waiting on the energy burst and glow ;)
    I'm definitely not as tired as I was in the first trimester but it did help over the hols when I was sleeping til lunchtime!

[quote=Sparkles27

How many weeks are you now Minnie?
    I'm 18 weeks and still waiting on the energy burst and glow ;)
    I'm definitely not as tired as I was in the first trimester but it did help over the hols when I was sleeping til lunchtime![/quote]

I’m 15 weeks now. I missed out on the energy burst and glow last time round and think this will be the same.

Sleeping till lunchtime is a thing of dreams! Our little man had us up early every morning, and if it wasn’t him waking me it was the need to pee waking me

Hope you are all well and happy new year.

I'm 15 weeks and the nausea is back with a bang. Felt fine there for a while but since going to back to work after Christmas I've been very nauseous. Think I'm not sleeping enough. Is anyone showing yet? My stomach looks flatter than is usually is for some reason. Can't wait to get a bump!!

Oh bluebell I do get raging nausea when I get over tired too.

I’ve a proper bump now. Very noticeable too, as someone said to me earlier - you wouldn’t mistake that for the Christmas lbs.

• Advertisement

I'm 16 weeks, bump definitely more pronounced this week. Officially in maternity pants, just more comfortable.

Still nauseous, vomiting most mornings, can't even put down a glass of water in the morning without it coming back up.

Not as tired as I was, but still hard to concentrate in work when your tired and feel ill all the time. On the good side, mood is great and very level, and I'm not missing pms at all.

I think, because I've only started telling people, and with those conversations and the emerging bump, even though I'm 16 weeks, it is really just sinking in that we're having a baby in June!!

**In other news, Aldi have stuff in next week for babies, starting on the 10th, if anyone is thinking of buying a few early low priced bits...**

Is it too early to buy stuff though?

Advertisement