Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Notified He is Finishing with RAS

Options
  • 12-10-2018 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I'm on a r.a.s.(rental accommodation scheme here in galway and my landlord has kindly informed me well in advance that he will be finishing with the scheme next year. So I'm wondering if the council will get me another r.a.s. thought id ask here first....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Get official notice from your landlord now and contact your council with it. And harass the ****e out of them to provide you with new long term accommodation going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Get official notice from your landlord now and contact your council with it. And harass the ****e out of them to provide you with new long term accommodation going forward.

I would think it is very likely that the tenancy will continue but paid for under HAP.

What sort of notice should the OP get?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

I would think it is very likely that the tenancy will continue but paid for under HAP.

What sort of notice should the OP get?
    thanks for reply but landlord seems bent on finishing contract with galway city council. It wont finish until august 19. How would HAP come into play.?

Well, in broad general terms, just because the RAS ends, it doesn't mean the tenancy ends.

the council doesnt know about it yet i've been told by landlord. he says he wont tell them until the last 3 months. It finishes in August 19

• Advertisement

Well, in broad general terms, just because the RAS ends, it doesn't mean the tenancy ends.
    You mean council would ask me to get new place and then pay HAP.

You mean council would ask me to get new place and then pay HAP.

Well they might also continue with you remaining where you are, under the existing tenancy but with the rent paid via HAP.

Well they might also continue with you remaining where you are, under the existing tenancy but with the rent paid via HAP.
    But the landlord said he wont be renewing the contract again. We get on well but its his decision...

But the landlord said he wont be renewing the contract again. We get on well but its his decision...
    Also I'm 65 years of age so maybe he might want me to move although I'm as fit as he is

Also I'm 65 years of age so maybe he might want me to move although I'm as fit as he is

As i understand it (and it could be different where you are) RAS is being replaced with HAP anyway.

It soes sound like he wants you to move but he really needs to be explicit about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When you are a RAS tenant
    In general, if you were housed under RAS, your housing needs will have been met and you will no longer be on the local authority’s housing waiting list. However, if you were housed under RAS before 1 April 2011, you may be able to access housing from the local authority or housing association. To do this, you should apply to the local authority to go on a transfer list.

Was it a 10 year lease and were you there from the start?

It would be a better option for you to seek further long term social accommodation rather then try the battle for HAP.

The sooner you can kick this process off, the less excuses the council will have for fobbing you off.

When you are a RAS tenant
    In general, if you were housed under RAS, your housing needs will have been met and you will no longer be on the local authority’s housing waiting list. However, if you were housed under RAS before 1 April 2011, you may be able to access housing from the local authority or housing association. To do this, you should apply to the local authority to go on a transfer list.

Was it a 10 year lease and were you there from the start?

It would be a better option for you to seek further long term social accommodation rather then try the battle for HAP.

The sooner you can kick this process off, the less excuses the council will have for fobbing you off.
    I moved into the apartment in august 2011. 4 year contract then 2 year then 2 year. Will finish aug 19. During my tenancy, ive had unreasonable offers from Galway city council. So must be on list still. Would prefer to get another ras.

Since you are on good terms with the landlord, do you know what his issue is with RAS? I wouldn't be surprised if it is the bureaucracy every two years.

Is he going to sell up or stop letting altogether?

Since you are on good terms with the landlord, do you know what his issue is with RAS? I wouldn't be surprised if it is the bureaucracy every two years.

Is he going to sell up or stop letting altogether?
    He may give it to his son to live in whilst going to college. He said something about the taxman when I asked him why before.

He may give it to his son to live in whilst going to college. He said something about the taxman when I asked him why before.
    I signed for the first 4 year contract and second 2 year one but didnt receive any contract for the last one , which also lasts 2 years. So was wondering about that one.....

I signed for the first 4 year contract and second 2 year one but didnt receive any contract for the last one , which also lasts 2 years. So was wondering about that one.....
    I started here in august 2011

I started here in august 2011

Advertisement