Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance question...alarm?

• 12-10-2018 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi
    My house alarm is currently out of action....hope to get it fixed tomorrow, but do I need to advise my insurance company if not?
    Thanks
    Maura

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

You probably should. If you took a discount for having it, then they can refuse to payout if it isn't on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Austin1

wench wrote: »
    You probably should. If you took a discount for having it, then they can refuse to payout if it isn't on.

Not necessarily. Most insurers have a clause that your excess increases if it was not activated after you left the house and a theft claim occcured, but they WILL pay out on the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

Thanks both...
    Not sure what my policy states, will have have To check tomorrow...
    If it's unclear...I wonder would they allow a once off "supplement" to cover me until I got it fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

mauraf wrote: »
    Thanks both...
    If it's unclear...I wonder would they allow a once off "supplement" to cover me until I got it fixed?

The condition in the policy will apply while the alarm is out of action. They won't amend it. Policy documents are usually online. Tell us your insurer and we can have a look

Home insurance policy is with Aviva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Thanks both...

If you're checking tomorrow and it'll be fixed tomorrow. Why would you bother ringing them

Hoping it will be fixed today...but they have to assess the issue....may need a whole new alarm fitted though...

Home insurance policy is with Aviva

A quick look online at their policy and the excess is doubled when the alarm is not operational

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I think you're better off not including the alarm when you're getting house insurance.

I think you're better off not including the alarm when you're getting house insurance.

Apart from getting a discount, you could be excluding a good few competitive insurers who will only take you if you have an alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

A lot of insurance policies include an alarm warranty if you get a discount. In theory this allows Insurers to avoid the policy if the alarm isn't on and you suffer a loss, irrespective of the fact the alarm had nothing to do with the claim.
    I don't know if they could successfully rely on this but why give yourself the headache. A 5-10% discount on my household premium isn't worth it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

gimli2112 wrote: »
    A lot of insurance policies include an alarm warranty if you get a discount. In theory this allows Insurers to avoid the policy if the alarm isn't on and you suffer a loss, irrespective of the fact the alarm had nothing to do with the claim.
    I don't know if they could successfully rely on this but why give yourself the headache. A 5-10% discount on my household premium isn't worth it imo.

Agreed never say that I have one

Advertisement