Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career break

Options
  • 12-10-2018 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, would anyone know if you can take a career break from local government to go teaching? I have read the rules on a career break which says you can't work in public sector but someone told me there was a circular which says you can go teaching but I haven't been able to find it. I don't want to ask my own HR as I don't want to be alerting them until I make a decision. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

onlythedon wrote:
    Hi, would anyone know if you can take a career break from local government to go teaching? I have read the rules on a career break which says you can't work in public sector but someone told me there was a circular which says you can go teaching but I haven't been able to find it. I don't want to ask my own HR as I don't want to be alerting them until I make a decision. Thanks!

Just quit your current job and go teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I did a lot of googling and couldn't find anything which says there is an exemption if you want to go into teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 onlythedon

Thanks for the reply. It sounded unlikely but thought I'd check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I did find a circular which said teachers cannot take career breaks.

Maybe that is what you were thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

liam7831 wrote: »
    Just quit your current job and go teaching

You realise the point of a career break is that they'd have the option of going back to their old job afterwards, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 onlythedon

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I did find a circular which said teachers cannot take career breaks.

Maybe that is what you were thinking of?

The person I was talking to worked in a similar job to me and said it was a circular that allowed you to teach while on a career break. They were sure this was the case. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it. Thanks though.

Advertisement