Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a uninsured vehicle

• 13-10-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭

I'l be looking to sell a un insured commercial jeep soon, was just wondering what the liabilities are with letting someone test drive it. I will be up front stating there is no insurance. Would i be liable if there was a accident. Would I be best to have a signed declaration stating no insurance and driver is liable for all claims? or would that be a waste of paper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There would be no insurance either way unless you had open drive.

Insist on seeing the drivers certificate of insurance to see it has a driving other vehicles inclusion, then most importantly if you sell it you send off the ownership doc as quick as you can to put it in their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jeepcj wrote:
    I'l be looking to sell a un insured commercial jeep soon, was just wondering what the liabilities are with letting someone test drive it. I will be up front stating there is no insurance. Would i be liable if there was a accident. Would I be best to have a signed declaration stating no insurance and driver is liable for all claims? or would that be a waste of paper?

I could be wrong but I believe that you are responsible for the vehicle. If they had an accident I believe it falls on you for letting an uninsured driver, drive the vehicle. At least that has been my understanding all my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

The driver is responsible for ensuring they are insured to drive a vehicle.
    They likely wont be insured to drive it as most policies that cover other car driving require the other car to be insured ...but in reality id say it happens regularly that a test drive is not insured.

If you know when its likely to happen could you transfer your current insurance for the day? Pain in the a** but unless they have a policy like a car garage would have thatll cover them it would seem to be the only way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Insist on seeing the drivers certificate of insurance to see it has a driving other vehicles inclusion, then most importantly if you sell it you send off the ownership doc as quick as you can to put it in their name.

When you have a policy stating that you can drive other vehicles isn't there a clause that the vehicle itself must have a policy? If this isn't the case op you will need to ensure that they have a commercial policy. Private policy exclude commercial vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

368100 wrote: »
    The driver is responsible for ensuring they are insured to drive a vehicle.
    They likely wont be insured to drive it as most policies that cover other car driving require the other car to be insured ...but in reality id say it happens regularly that a test drive is not insured.

If you know when its likely to happen could you transfer your current insurance for the day? Pain in the a** but unless they have a policy like a car garage would have thatll cover them it would seem to be the only way around it.

That is far from true, there is 2 companies currently making this a requirement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rex-x wrote: »
    That is far from true, there is 2 companies currently making this a requirement

+1 Currently only Aviva and Liberty state that 'driving other cars' cover applies only if the vehicle you borrow has a policy of it's own.

The vehicle owner can be prosecuted for allowing an uninsured driver to drive the vehicle. And the civil liability will fall back on the owner if there is a claim for which the driver is not covered.

If a prospective buyer shows up with an insurance cert in his/her own name which is not from Aviva or Liberty and the cert. states that the insured can drive other vehicles then he will be covered to do a test drive.

Advertisement