Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler Firing Every Few Seconds?

• 13-10-2018 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    I moved into a new house (rented) and the boiler was serviced right before I moved in.
    When we turned the heating on for the first time, the boiler would fire every 10 to 20 seconds.
    Talked to the landlord and he came to check it out.
    He said as long as the radiators are getting warm there isn't a problem and that I shouldn't worry. I told him that I don't think it's normal, but he just told me to monitor it and get back to him if stops working.
    Now I've noticed that the oil seems to be going much faster than where I lived previously and I'm wondering if this is because of the boiler firing every 10 to 20 seconds?

Is this really normal or should I be worried?

Here's a link to an audio file of the noise the boiler makes (Vocarro).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No it's not normal and needs to be serviced by a registered boiler engineer.

Who is paying for the oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

Water John wrote: »
    No it's not normal and needs to be serviced by a registered boiler engineer.

Who is paying for the oil?

Thanks!
    Problem is, it was serviced by a registered engineer right before we moved in, but I'll tell the landlord that I've done my research and it's not normal.

I've paid for the oil.

That's why the landlord isn't bothered, he'll have to pay the service engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Sounds like a dirty photocell to me. But get the service man out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

That boiler hasn’t been properly serviced. Ask for the service combustion printout and post it here. I doubt it exists, or if it does it’s suspect.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

could be a dirty photocell

but that is caused by poor combustion so not serviced properly if at all

The likelyhood is if that if the OP did not see the Service Engineer, it wasn't done at all. Landlord likely spoofing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It sounds like the burner is atomising fuel constantly but is firing only intermittently. Its definitely not right. As others have said, insist on the exhaust gas analysis printout. Theres no way that boiler's been serviced properly. Assuming that the feed pump is working ok, I'd say you could be using (but not burning) almost twice as much fuel as you need to...

Is there a smell of unburnt fuel at/near the boiler? Also, can you take a video of the flame through the spy-hole? Is there obvious smoke coming from the stack? Post video of that also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    It sounds like the burner is atomising fuel constantly but is firing only intermittently. Its definitely not right. As others have said, insist on the exhaust gas analysis printout. Theres no way that boiler's been serviced properly. Assuming that the feed pump is working ok, I'd say you could be using (but not burning) almost twice as much fuel as you need to...

Is there a smell of unburnt fuel at/near the boiler? Also, can you take a video of the flame through the spy-hole? Is there obvious smoke coming from the stack? Post video of that also.

Do you know if there is still a 5 sec delay on flame failure detection lockout when the boiler is firing normally after the initial 12 sec pre purge, there is a 5 sec delay to allow the flame to establish after the solenoid/spark are energised, one would think that after this period that there would be instant lockout after flame failure during continuous firing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

John.G wrote: »
    Do you know if there is still a 5 sec delay on flame failure detection lockout when the boiler is firing normally after the initial 12 sec pre purge, there is a 5 sec delay to allow the flame to establish after the solenoid/spark are energised, one would think that after this period that there would be instant lockout after flame failure during continuous firing.

The fact that its not locking out is, in itself, worthy of investigation, as that's not how it should be.

• Advertisement

John.G wrote: »

common fault with riello burner photocell constant stop start without going to lockout

but an overaired burner can cause the same symptoms this can be caused by a partially blocked nozzle

a fuel pump slipping can also give the same symptoms but not as common as above

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

jimf wrote: »
    common fault with riello burner photocell constant stop start without going to lockout

but an overaired burner can cause the same symptoms this can be caused by a partially blocked nozzle

a fuel pump slipping can also give the same symptoms but not as common as above
    + recycling of gasses.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    + recycling of gasses.

just checking to see if ye wer awake :p:p:p

ok so I forgot that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’ve seen partial blockage of the flue cause the same issue. Birds nest

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’ve seen partial blockage of the flue cause the same issue. Birds nest

and that's another and very common at this time of year when boilers are just being turned on

Water John wrote: »
    The likelyhood is if that if the OP did not see the Service Engineer, it wasn't done at all. Landlord likely spoofing.

I saw the guy. He was in there, working the boiler. I have no idea how long though.
    TomOnBoard wrote: »

The first time we used the heating, there was a very strong smell of fumes downstairs, but never smoke. Hasn't happened since. According to the landlord, that was because it was just serviced.

I'm going to try to take a video and post it.

The landlord checked for a birds nest, but nothing.

a properly serviced set up boiler should not smell end of

its your landlords responsibility to have the heating in your rent working in a safe and efficient manner don't be fobbed off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Forget the video. listen to the lads. You have been told that there is a problem. It needs to be looked at by a competent service engineer ASAP. As Jim says "Don't be fobbed off".

Happy end.
    The boiler was fixed by a different company than the one that did the service after I started asking questions about who did the service the first time. I was assured it was a proper engineer, but a different company was hired and the boiler was fixed.
    The guy was very investigative. Asked me all sorts of questions who fiddled with the boiler and such. So I guess he had the suspicion that someone without proper qualification had messed with the boiler.

Thanks again for all the advice!

good that you got sorted

and thanks for coming back many don't

• Advertisement
Advertisement