Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looming Eyes at airports may reduce bird impacts!

Options
  • 13-10-2018 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

xje8ld6kmylatcs0out6.jpg
    Birds and planes are a bad combination, but it’s not so easy to shoo our avian friends away from airport runways. Thankfully, scientists from France have stumbled upon an ingenious solution to the problem—an optical illusion that appears to scare the crap out of large predatory birds.

Clickbait article; https://gizmodo.com/this-hilarious-optical-illusion-for-birds-could-save-yo-1829716568

The actual research; https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0204802

I'm putting it here, as some it's more relevant to those that fly, than those that like birds. It looks like a crazy idea, but it seems that after 5 weeks, the hawks didn't get used to the eyes. Seems this may keep other predatory birds away as well, but not non-predatory birds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Predatory birds are rarely the problem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

The theory is that predator birds have eyes at the front. Giving depth of vision to allow them to catch prey.
    Non predator birds have eyes at the side giving them greater peripheral vision. Thus allowing them to watch both sides at the same time. Giving a chance to avoid the predator.
    They are using a "bigger" predator to frighten off the "normal" predators.
    While predator birds due to their larger size cause more damage, bed strikes are invariably from smaller birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Bed strikes are usually messy affairs and birds of all shapes and sizes are equally at risk .
    Bird strikes are mostly small and cause little to no damage . Most of the worst ones I've seen involve owls strangely enough and if the go in the core produce a nice aroma of cooked chicken through the cabin .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I have had two bird strikes this year, one resulted in damage that resembled someone hitting out leading edge with a baseball bat, I was extremely glad that it didn't hit the nose as it really appeared to be a large bird. The second one just left remains along the fuselage and wing.
    So I'm happy to see any innovations that help us to avoid our aerial buddies.

Advertisement