Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallen buddleia

Options
  • 14-10-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for some advice - my buddleia has blown over in the recent storm. It seems to be intact other than partially blown over. It is roughly 10 foot tall.

Any advice on how best to proceed?

I was think about anchoring it to the wall to re-straighten it and then staking it?

Moving it out a bit from the wall might be a good option also as it can only grow out in one direction where it is and is probably off balance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Hi

Looking for some advice - my buddleia has blown over in the recent storm. It seems to be intact other than partially blown over. It is roughly 10 foot tall.

Any advice on how best to proceed?

I was think about anchoring it to the wall to re-straighten it and then staking it?

Moving it out a bit from the wall might be a good option also as it can only grow out in one direction where it is and is probably off balance

Just cut it back to about two feet high, you'd normally do this with a buddleia anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, you can't kill them. Cut it back - right down to the bottom if you like, and replant. If you cut it down anyway in the autumn you will get much improved growth and flowers each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Right - so I have now secured it to the wall.

It appears that it is best to cut them back in spring. Is cutting back to 2 foot not a bit extreme?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can cut it back now, and no, 2 ft is by no means extreme.

Edit, just looked at your pic, if you want it to continue to look like a tree then just go back to the trunk, if you want a large wide bushy plant then go back further.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

looksee wrote: »
    You can cut it back now, and no, 2 ft is by no means extreme.

Edit, just looked at your pic, if you want it to continue to look like a tree then just go back to the trunk, if you want a large wide bushy plant then go back further.

Sound - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

With buddliea if you don’t cut them hard the fresh growth and flowers are way up in the air and harder to enjoy, they also thin out.

Advertisement