Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC - change PIR sensor and change date/time

Options
  • 14-10-2018 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Good evening,

We have a wired HKC alarm installed in the house in which we moved into (was installed before we moved into, I suspect it was installed in 2006/2007) however we only use it when we are not at home for a longer duration (ie. vacation etc). On recent occasions, the alarm would go off even though it was not armed. It refers to activity detected by the Infra-red sensors and I gather from reading this forum, that this is most likely triggered by faulty sensors. My question is, can I replace these PIR detectors myself (with a dual tech sensor i gather) ?

Also, the day and time on the display is off by 2 days and a couple hours. How can I change that? I am reading about user codes and engineer codes on this forum, the only code I have is to disarm and arm the alarm (which is the same code as that one of the previous owners). I would not necessarily be looking to change that code (however if I can, it would be useful to know) but I am looking how can I change the time/date, ideally without having to pay for a call-out/service fee ?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi. You can just swap out the Infrared with a new one (or duel tec) and wire like for like.

When you enter your user code does the system just arm straight away?
    If so your code has not been set up with the right permissions to let you change date/time and other features that should be available to you.
    Unfortunately, you will need the engineer code to change how users are set up on this system.
    Alternatively default and reprogramme everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

waxworks59 wrote: »
    Good evening,

We have a wired HKC alarm installed in the house in which we moved into (was installed before we moved into, I suspect it was installed in 2006/2007) however we only use it when we are not at home for a longer duration (ie. vacation etc). On recent occasions, the alarm would go off even though it was not armed. It refers to activity detected by the Infra-red sensors and I gather from reading this forum, that this is most likely triggered by faulty sensors. My question is, can I replace these PIR detectors myself (with a dual tech sensor i gather) ?

Should be straight forward to swap out either like for like or using a dual tech.
    Just be careful with the 12V supply as if its an 8/12 you could blow a fuse if they touch off each other.
    Also, the day and time on the display is off by 2 days and a couple hours. How can I change that? I am reading about user codes and engineer codes on this forum, the only code I have is to disarm and arm the alarm (which is the same code as that one of the previous owners). I would not necessarily be looking to change that code (however if I can, it would be useful to know) but I am looking how can I change the time/date, ideally without having to pay for a call-out/service fee ?

Thanks a lot

If your user code only sets and unsets the alarm then you would need the engineer code to change time/dates or codes.
    If it brings you into a user menu then scroll to time date and change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 waxworks59

Thanks for your swift reply KoolKid and altor. Thanks for confirming I can switch the sensors without much trouble. Yes the system arms straight away when entering the user code.

With regards to the engineer code, I understand from other posts on this forum that PSA approved installers will be able to fix. Although I am not overly concerned to have the right date/time on the display, my brain likes things right.. just as a picture frame that isn't hanging 100% straight :) I will need to read up onto how to default the system, I should be ok with the programming as I know how it is currently set up (at least I know how the zones are defined). I 'd hate to pay to get in control of my own system... so I might reach out later. Thanks again for your help.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

To try default the panel.
    Power down & remove the mains power & the battery.
    Remove the factory link marked LK1 & power cabk up.
    If the default code ,01111 disarms then its defaulted & you can enter engineer with 04567.

If you get a message saying engineer locked then you will need an engineer to do it for you.

Great, I will try that in the next couple of days. Just making sure.. if I remove the mains and battery, upon re-connection will the system still recognize my user code ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks for your swift reply KoolKid and altor. Thanks for confirming I can switch the sensors without much trouble. Yes the system arms straight away when entering the user code.

With regards to the engineer code, I understand from other posts on this forum that PSA approved installers will be able to fix. Although I am not overly concerned to have the right date/time on the display, my brain likes things right.. just as a picture frame that isn't hanging 100% straight :) I will need to read up onto how to default the system, I should be ok with the programming as I know how it is currently set up (at least I know how the zones are defined). I 'd hate to pay to get in control of my own system... so I might reach out later. Thanks again for your help.

Yes any installer should be able to default and reprogram this system on site.

When you power the system back up with the JP1 removed the keypad will ask you if you want to default, press yes.
    If the system comes up engineer locked then you would need an installer to do this for you and the user code you are using will still work to silence the alarm.

If it defaults the 01111 will turn it off and 04567 will get you into engineer mode.

If you dont have a list of zones then before you default use the user walk test to identify zones on the keypad by testing. Just take a list of the names to re input into the alarm system.

Thanks again for your assistance, much appreciated, I will try it in the next couple of days. Have a great evening

Great, I will try that in the next couple of days. Just making sure.. if I remove the mains and battery, upon re-connection will the system still recognize my user code ?

Do you want to do this to try default the system?
    If the system is defaulted the codes will revert to 01111 for user & 04567 for Engineer.
    Your own code will remain if the system does not default?

Advertisement