Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could solve 3 cases..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Didn't the guy in the taxi say he was trying to get home before his girlfriend?

Documentary was OK, they could have done with a few interviews and reconstructions.
    I think it was very good. No need for reconstructions or interviews with some egotisical journalist who gives the impression it is about them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Murof

Andrew Godsen - 14 year old in England bought a one-way train ticket to London and was never seen again.

Trevor Deely - Incredible case where AGS totally let down Trevor's family. They acted too slowly. Trevor's family obtained the AIB footage themselves. I believe he was killed by the guys seen outside his work place on that night. Chilling footage.

Maddie McCann - Family had nothing to do with it, she was watched for some time and was kidnapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Murof wrote: »
    Andrew Godsen - 14 year old in England bought a one-way train ticket to London and was never seen again.

Trevor Deely - Incredible case where AGS totally let down Trevor's family. They acted too slowly. Trevor's family obtained the AIB footage themselves. I believe he was killed by the guys seen outside his work place on that night. Chilling footage.

Maddie McCann - Family had nothing to do with it, she was watched for some time and was kidnapped.

Seems like you have already solved the Trevor and Madeline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Murof

Just giving my opinion. If you've nothing to add to the thread, jog on.

Murof wrote: »
    Just giving my opinion. If you've nothing to add to the thread, jog on.

Will do pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Madeline McCann
    Trevor Deeley
    Sophie Toscan du Plantier

All of these cases don't sit right with me.

Same three for me, just in terms of the cases that have grabbed my attention the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

MOD EDIT: Sonny noggs - don't post in this thread again. This is not After Hours.

Dry ****es

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Watch the documentary 'Rainy in Glenageary'

I don't think I had heard about it.
    Is it hard to watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Trevor Deely, this disappearance hooked and stayed with me since I first learned of him. Probably due to him being the same age as myself when he went missing.

Sophie Tuscan du Plantier after this. West Cork podcast series did a fantastic job on this case.

Madeline McCann, mad to think they got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,497 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Trevor Deely, this disappearance hooked and stayed with me since I first learned of him. Probably due to him being the same age as myself when he went missing.

Sophie Tuscan du Plantier after this. West Cork podcast series did a fantastic job on this case.

Madeline McCann, mad to think they got away with it.

Madeline case had to be a lone wolf or the parents,

Way to much money, spotlight and media attention on that case for it to be a gang, Multiply kidnappers or a sex ring,

In that underworld someone who is caught for something will always try use information on a bigger case for leverage and that's never happened, Someone will always snitch to save there own ass and relationship always turn sour so people rat others out ,
    Also never anything found on the dark web that was credible lead ,

Makes me think had to be alone wolf or parents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Happy4all wrote: »
    Madelaine McCann

Trevor Deeley(although probably not foul play)

Jo Jo Dollars/ Deirdre Jacob

Same as this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Madeline case had to be a lone wolf or the parents,

Way to much money, spotlight and media attention on that case for it to be a gang, Multiply kidnappers or a sex ring,

In that underworld someone who is caught for something will always try use information on a bigger case for leverage and that's never happened, Someone will always snitch to save there own ass and relationship always turn sour so people rat others out ,
    Also never anything found on the dark web that was credible lead ,

Makes me think had to be alone wolf or parents

It reminds me very much of the JonBenet case, something exceptional has happened, if it was someone outside then they did some strange things and got very lucky, if it was family, well same thing really. (I have my opinion on what happened there based on the research I've seen)

The thing I don't like is the under current of people who want to slam the McCann's, It feels like the Amanda Knox sentiment, people just want them to be guilty because of their social status, look etc.
    Personally I haven't seen enough from evidence to make my mind up either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

So, ignoring Irish cases, I am going to plump for an obvious choice (killings), a less obvious one (killings), and a somewhat obscure one (unexplained vanishings).

1: Jack The Ripper.

Certainly a serial murderer, without doubt violent and depraved with a hatred of all, or certain classes of, women. Even for the time (1880s) the investigation was badly handled, and there are as many suggested suspects here as there are conspiracy theories around any modern event.

Many books published, but a lot of them suffer from the same weakness: the author has their pet suspect, and the information around each killing is sifted and presented (or not) in such a way as to favour the author's hypothesis.

There is one very strong book I would recommend to anyone who really wants to get a balanced view of these killings: "The Complete History of Jack The Ripper" by Philip Sugden, published in 1994.

This book does not have a pet suspect, but rather seeks to gather together all possible knowledge and accounts of the killings and investigations, using as much recourse to contemporary records as it is possible to get. There is a lot of painstaking research in here that I have not seen presented anywhere else, and although popular suspects are discussed, the author is not trying to prove any of them, simply present the known evidence.

You have to conclude, at this point 130+ years later, that this mystery will never be solved, with absolute proof, in our lifetime.

2: Jack The Stripper - London 1950s/60s

Another series of prostitute murders, this time tantalisingly within reach of living memory. A series of young women murdered and left (sometimes, but not always stripped) in West London from the end of the 50s to the mid 60s. There are a number of suspects here, at least one of whom looked very good, but committed suicide as police were closing in on him. But others suggest the killer may well have been among the police themselves.

For a very gritty and detailed look at these murders, I might suggest "Jack of Jumps" by David Seabrook. He goes into huge details about the lives of each of the women, and the odd or dangerous characters known to have crossed their paths. But a word of warning: this book is not for the faint hearted, it is brutally chilling in its account of these women's lives, and empathy is distinctly lacking.

3: Flannen Isle Lighthouse Mystery (1900, off the Scottish coast)

It's a story that has fascinated me since childhood. The lighthouse, on an otherwise uninhabited island, that goes dark in the middle of a prolonged period of gales in December 1900. When days later the weather abates, a relief boat from shore reaches the island, all is calm and the lighthouse is in perfect order. but of the three keepers, not a trace.

The most persuasive theories centre on two of the keepers being swept out to sea by a giant wave while trying to secure equipment at the landing jetty during a fierce storm. But the third man should not have been outside, and his outdoor protective gear was still hanging, unused. Perhaps he heard or saw something that caused him to rush outside, or maybe he went mad, killed the other two, put their bodies in the sea and then drowned himself.

For this mystery, I would recommend "The Lighthouse" by Keith McCloskey.

This vanishing has been dramatised in poem (Wilfred Wilson Gibson - Flannen Isle) more recently as a film (The Vanishing - highly fictionalised, hidden gold etc) and even on Dr. Who (The Horror of Fang Rock, 1977, Tom Baker era, alien shapeshifter crash-lands on the island and kills the keepers one by one).

My personal view is accords with that of Keith McClosky - two of the keepers, recently admonished by the Lighthouse Board for letting equipment get damaged by weather, venture down to the landing stage in the teeth of the storm to secure some stuff, get washed out to sea, the third eventually runs out to either help them or find out why they have vanished, and suffers the same fate.

Anyway, those are my three "if I could solve" mysteries.

C635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ZeeKane

My three unsolved Irish cases would be the murders of 1) Eileen Costello-O'Shaughnessy 2) Antoinette Smith 3) Charles Self.

As for international, like probably many have said 1) Madeline McCann 2) JonBenet Ramsay 3) Jack the Ripper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭chicorytip

ZeeKane wrote: »
    My three unsolved Irish cases would be the murders of 1) Eileen Costello-O'Shaughnessy 2) Antoinette Smith 3) Charles Self.

As for international, like probably many have said 1) Madeline McCann 2) JonBenet Ramsay 3) Jack the Ripper
    In an Irish context another unexplained mystery is the disappearance in 1996 of Alpho O' Reilly, the former head of design in RTE and, as an aside, the man who recruited Charles Self. He simply vanished without trace and not a single clue or piece of evidence has come to light since as to what may have happened him.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

1. The Father

2. The Son

3. The Holy Ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

chicorytip wrote: »
    In an Irish context another unexplained mystery is the disappearance in 1996 of Alpho O' Reilly, the former head of design in RTE and, as an aside, the man who recruited Charles Self. He simply vanished without trace and not a single clue or piece of evidence has come to light since as to what may have happened him.

That was really mysterious.

Those Wicklow mountains hide many secrets.

Three Irish cases:

Charlie Self

Philip Cairns

Raonaid Murray

International three:

The Long Island killer

Jon Benet Ramsay

Suzie Lamplugh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

1) who framed roger rabbit
    2) how does the fluff get into my bellybutton
    3) if one of my feet is less than 12 inches, why do we still call it a foot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Interesting that private investigators on the Annie McCarrick case don't
    believe she was at Johnny Fox's the evening that she disappeared. That was
    the focal point and main feature of the original investigation.

Suspect Identified
    At the time, gardaí investigating Ms McCarrick’s disappearance collected information that seemed to point to Annie visiting Johnnie Fox’s Pub, in the village of Glencullen, high in the Dublin Mountains. Mr Griffith and the US-based team do not believe that information to be true.

“She didn’t go there,” he said.

“Our own investigations have established that the sighting of her in the pub was a case of mistaken identity. This new information would tally with our belief that she didn’t go to the pub.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Madeline McCann,
    Missing Irish girls,
    Philip Cairns,
    and
    Trevor Deeley,

Nexytus wrote: »
    Interesting that private investigators on the Annie McCarrick case don't
    believe she was at Johnny Fox's the evening that she disappeared. That was
    the focal point and main feature of the original investigation.

Suspect Identified

Some ex-employee of a café in Enniskerry supposed to have seen her in there. Why on earth would she not have contacted the guards, during all that time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

What would they be?

Mine wound be based on what I've seen and can remember:

1. Long island serial killer or LIST. Fairly recent case, no suspect has been charged. Bodies started being found along the shoreline with the first being a prostitute who had disappeared bizarrely while with a client. Multiple body parts have been found with some of the victims yet to be identified. Suspect suspected of having close link to law enforcement. Think this case was covered on Casefile and True Crime Garage, there's also a good documentary, killing season done a number of episodes on it.

2. Madeleine Mccann.
    Fascinating case really. Would love to know what really happened and if the parents know more than they told.

3. The Zodiac
    One of the more famous serial Killers probably due to the the crypted codes and letters and the very good film. Some of the codes still haven't been cracked. Not likely to be solved now. Who was the zodiac? Don't think we'll ever find out but certainly a fascinating case.

Honourable mentions to Jack the Ripper and Jon benet Ramsay who I think the family were involved in her death. Also Sophie Tuscon De Plantier case which we're restricted from discussing.

Probably a few I can't think of right now but they would be my 3.

I saw over the weekend that they finally cracked another cryptic message from the zodiac, they had only been working on the message since 2006!!

https://deadline.com/2020/12/taunting-zodiac-killer-letter-finally-decoded-after-50-years-1234655495/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Kerry babies case, Madeleine McCanne, the lady in Cork that had been to a Sunday Market and her husband says had gone while he got groceries

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Does anyone think the Charles Self and Alpho O Reilly cases are connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

goat2 wrote: »
    Kerry babies case

Community DNA would sort that in a few weeks if there was the will and no locla politics.
    My guess is that there are a lot of locals who know the answers without need for DNA testing.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Does anyone think the Charles Self and Alpho O Reilly cases are connected.

I really doubt it: Charlie Self was a bon viveur who invited all sorts to stay at his place, and he was probably killed, in his home, by one of those transient guests.

Whereas Alpho O Reilly was an older chap, possibly a bit confused, who went off driving into the hills and was never seen again. Different MO and different sort of circumstances, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

What would they be?

Honourable mentions to Jack the Ripper and Jon benet Ramsay who I think the family were involved in her death. Also Sophie Tuscon De Plantier case which we're restricted from discussing.

Seen a documentary last night on Discovery about Jon Benet Ramsay. For me it completely clears the parents of any wrong doing. Really highlighted the botched job done by the police.

Advertisement