Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

No Christmas movies watched here yet. I bought Elf so going to sit down and watch it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,136 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I watched the new Vanessa Hudgens one on Netflix the other night. 'The Knight Before Christmas'. I have unashamedly admitted to loving all those awful cheesy movies but that one is too bad even for me. I truly thought it was awful.

The verdict in my household was that it was ok as a rom-com, likeable leads goes a long way but it wasn't really very Chrismassy... the Christmas angle felt like an afterthought to the fantasy romcom plot.

Her movie from last year - The Princess Switch - was a lot better, although I think the planned sequel 'Switched Again!' seems a plot too far...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I find a lot of those Christmas movies to be incredibly slow . I think that Princess Switch last year was the end of the road for me. It’s films like the Muppets Christmas Carol I could watch over and over again. Good plot line but intellegent enough for kids and adults to watch. I really like Mrs Miracle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I find a lot of those Christmas movies to be incredibly slow . I think that Princess Switch last year was the end of the road for me. It’s films like the Muppets Christmas Carol I could watch over and over again. Good plot line but intellegent enough for kids and adults to watch. I really like Mrs Miracle as well.

I agree. I think that's why classics are classics, you have seen them so many times, know what is going to happen, can quote whole scenes however you still watch them over and over.

Jude13 wrote: »
    ^^ ha watched that one also. She is very easy on the eye.

She's beautiful!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I just finished watching Klaus on Netflix this morning, it's a really enjoyable film! I'm kinda raging I watched on my phone as it was visually amazing, I might have to rewatch on a proper screen :) I recommend it if you have Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

miamee wrote: »
    I just finished watching Klaus on Netflix this morning, it's a really enjoyable film! I'm kinda raging I watched on my phone as it was visually amazing, I might have to rewatch on a proper screen :) I recommend it if you have Netflix.

Going to watch that tonight, looking forward to it. Nice to have good Christmas films to add to the rotation.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

miamee wrote: »

Kid friendly?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Kid friendly?

Yes, it poses a story about how Santa became Santa without giving anything away ;) It's a nice and fun back story to the man himself (although he is the secondary rather than main character).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Kid friendly?

My two 8 yo's watched it during the week & enjoyed it. I asked if they wanted to add it to their christmas movie watchlist for next year and they said nah, wasn't 'that' good :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Maybe it's only for big kids (like me) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I am 6 Christmas movies in for the season so far Watched The Santa Claus, Daddy’s home 2 And bad Santa 2 this week
    I haven’t sat down ever and watched the whole of Muppets Christmas Carol is it on Netflix?
    I am going to rewatch Christmas Cronicles nearer the big day and watch Klaus for the first time too nearer Christmas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

SarahLil wrote: »
    I am 6 Christmas movies in for the season so far Watched The Santa Claus, Daddy’s home 2 And bad Santa 2 this week
    I haven’t sat down ever and watched the whole of Muppets Christmas Carol is it on Netflix?
    I am going to rewatch Christmas Cronicles nearer the big day and watch Klaus for the first time too nearer Christmas

Muppets Christmas Carol is on sky this year.

Loughc wrote: »
    Muppets Christmas Carol is on sky this year.

Thanks Loughc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The animated 2018 version of the grinch is on sky cinema now and it’s very very cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hufflepuff

For anyone that likes an oldie Holiday Inn is on Film 4 at 14.45 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 workwook

Loughc wrote: »
    The animated 2018 version of the grinch is on sky cinema now and it’s very very cute.

I didn't know there was a more recent grinch movie. I'm still a fan of the old original cartoon one but I'll have to look into this one.

Watched Arthur Christmas with the kids earlier, not a brilliant Christmas movie however a nice way to pass a couple of hours (thanks Lotto draw!!).

TRS30 wrote: »
    Watched Arthur Christmas with the kids earlier, not a brilliant Christmas movie however a nice way to pass a couple of hours (thanks Lotto draw!!).

I watched it for the first time last year and I thought it was brilliant. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching it again this year. Hopefully some day next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I watched it for the first time last year and I thought it was brilliant. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching it again this year. Hopefully some day next week.

I love Arthur Christmas, we saw it in the cinema when it got released and I think we watch it 2 or 3 times every Christmas now. Grandsanta the star.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Seen Noelle tonight. It’s a good watch. Very Christmassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

TRS30 wrote: »

First time i watched it wasn't to bad and what do you mean thanks lotto draw are you going to have a very good Christmas?

Never seen it recorded it last night :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    First time i watched it wasn't to bad and what do you mean thanks lotto draw are you going to have a very good Christmas?
    RTE Saturday films take a break to show the lotto draw, so I assumed they meant thanks for making the film even longer, since it's already got a load of adverts! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭MMyers

Ghostbusters 2
    Batman Returns
    Silent Night Deadly Night 80's version
    Black Christmas 1974

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Not sure if it’s been mentioned already, but Just Friends with Ryan Reynolds is brilliant, it’s funny and it’s got him in it! Lol

Scrooged with Bill Murray
    The Family Stone
    Joyeux Noel
    And I really like The Family Man with Nicholas Cage!
    And Christmas With the Kranks

I’ll basically watch any old Christmas themed sh1t! Lol

Oh and Surviving Christmas with Ben Affleck, James Gandolfini and Katherine OHara ...yep, any old Christmas sh1t!

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

I was probably a bit harsh (and tired last night). kids loved it and were talking about it today.

Re lotto draw, I wish! There did the draw mid way through the movie so added about 20 mins to the run time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Blackadders Christmas Carol is great and a nice twist on its usual show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

This weekend: The Bishop's Wife (thanks earlier poster!); National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation; Snow Bride (Hallmark).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched home alone while putting up tree, then meet me in St Louis.
    Tomorrow elf in the lighthouse!

Advertisement