Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ha, I was swayed by the same podcast that it was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have changed on Die Hard, its a movie to watch at Christmas ..............

Doesn't this in itself make it a 'Christmas movie'?

I guess it depends on your definition of a Christmas movie. I wonder if Bruce has nay idea the discussion he causes on an Irish Christmas forum :D

There is a definition of a Christmas movie on the Can't wait till christmas podcast but I can't remember it. Just because its set at Christmas doesn't make it a Christmas movie, I think is the general approach. It has to have a Christmas spirit take on it, as in at the end of the movie the error of their ways were seen due to the Christmas spirit.

I will shoot myself in the foot as this doesn't work in Black Christmas (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/) which is one of favourite Christmas movies.

I have changed on Die Hard, its a movie to watch at Christmas but not a Christmas movie as it doesn't have anything to do with the spirit of Christmas.

Yes I agree completely with this!! It's a movie to watch at Christmas but it doesn't give me those Christmas feels.

Damn, it, Im ruining my argument. It gives me the christmas feels but still not a Christmas movie for me

• Advertisement

Damn, it, Im ruining my argument. It gives me the christmas feels but still not a Christmas movie for me

Well now I disagree with you but I do like that you also said 'christmas feels'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I always watch Planes trains and automobiles at Christmas yes it’s set at thanksgiving but I love watching it at Christmas.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

There is a definition of a Christmas movie on the Can't wait till christmas podcast but I can't remember it. Just because its set at Christmas doesn't make it a Christmas movie, I think is the general approach. It has to have a Christmas spirit take on it, as in at the end of the movie the error of their ways were seen due to the Christmas spirit.

I will shoot myself in the foot as this doesn't work in Black Christmas (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/) which is one of favourite Christmas movies.

Yep, can totally get the Christmas spirit criteria and all Hallmark Christmas movies, plus others obviously, would fall under that umbrella.

However, I would have a second category, as such, which is movies that only watch at Christmas.

To me the second group would be classed as 'Christmas movies' however it's a subjective opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think we need a new updated poll to decide if Die Hard is a Christmas movie or not. Posy or Loughc I'm sure would be delighted to revisit this christmas forum subject of olde :D

& FWIW, I agree that there are movies you'll watch at Christmas time but wouldn't be considered movies about Christmas or are Christmas movies. Willy Wonka & the chocolate factory being a classic example.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

For the stats alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

For the stats alone.

You leave the stats out of this!!! :pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    You leave the stats out of this!!! :pac:

Die Hard needs a stats section all of its own :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's set at a Christmas party on Christmas eve. There is Christmas music.
    It's definitely a Christmas film!

And it embodies the spirit of Christmas- man risking his life for the woman he loves, reuniting his family just in time for Christmas etc.

Plus, it has the iconic line "Now I have a machine gun, ho ho ho." How Christmassy is that. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    It's set at a Christmas party on Christmas eve. There is Christmas music.
    It's definitely a Christmas film!

And it embodies the spirit of Christmas- man risking his life for the woman he loves, reuniting his family just in time for Christmas etc.

Plus, it has the iconic line "Now I have a machine gun, ho ho ho." How Christmassy is that. :pac:

Must bookmark this post to reference the next time one tries to claim it isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Upcoming movie: My Dad's Christmas Date
    With Joely Richardson
    Trailer -usual spoiler disclaimer applies

otnomart wrote: »
    The Netflix film Jingle Jangle is being shot in Norwich over the next few weeks and will star Oscar-winner Forest Whitaker.

Pics with fake snow !
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-48502382

Netflix'ers can soon enjoy Jingle Jangle - out in November

A few stills

JJ_D37_GG_147_RA-1536x1024.jpg.webp

JJ_D32_GG_273_RA-2-1536x1024.jpg.webp

Oh, interesting development for Netflix'ers !
    A whopping four new movies:
    • The Christmas Chronicles 2 - trailer posted by Loughc earlier on this thread (Thanks Loughhc !)
    • Jingle Jangle - stills photos above
    • Christmas on the Square - with Dolly Parton (playing an angel !) and Christine Baranski
    • Holidate with Emma Roberts (have seen the trailer and gives far too much away !)

Oh, interesting development for Netflix'ers !
    A whopping four new movies:
    • The Christmas Chronicles 2 - trailer posted by Loughc earlier on this thread (Thanks Loughhc !)
    • Jingle Jangle - stills photos above
    • Christmas on the Square - with Dolly Parton (playing an angel !) and Christine Baranski
    • Holidate with Emma Roberts (have seen the trailer and gives far too much away !)

If Holidate is not a big cheesefest, I'll be very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Christmas Chronicles 2 release date is 25th November :)

Watched about 30 mins of 'Christmas in Palm Springs' with Clark Kent in it last night :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Is it as good as it sounds? :D

Posy wrote: »
    Is it as good as it sounds? :D

Oh, you know it :D

Which is the worse Christmas movie, in your opinion ?
    For me: Four Christmases
    I have been into Christmas movies as long as I can remember.
    So, when it came out at the cinema (Gosh, I just checked and it was 2008 ! Time does fly !) off I went and was expecting at least something decent.
    The lead actors had good form after all - and even those playing smaller parts: acting legends such as Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Jon Voight !

But I was sorely disappointed !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Which is the worse Christmas movie, in your opinion ?
    For me: Four Christmases
    I have been into Christmas movies as long as I can remember.
    So, when it came out at the cinema (Gosh, I just checked and it was 2008 ! Time does fly !) off I went and was expecting at least something decent.
    The lead actors had good form after all - and even those playing smaller parts: acting legends such as Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Jon Voight !

But I was sorely disappointed !

I'm purposely going to ignore Hallmark and Hallmark-esque type movies from this question. As I could be here all day :P

I would pick either Deck The Halls with Danny DeVito or Surviving Christmas with Ben Affleck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭pigtail33

TRS30 wrote: »
    Watched about 30 mins of 'Christmas in Palm Springs' with Clark Kent in it last night :D

Is that Dean Cain? He seems to be in every second film on the Sony Christmas channel! I remember when he was on the cover of Smash Hits practically every issue, although I never really saw the attraction.

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Is that Dean Cain? He seems to be in every second film on the Sony Christmas channel! I remember when he was on the cover of Smash Hits practically every issue, although I never really saw the attraction.

One and the same. No shirt ripping off in these movies though, that I saw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Whats everyones favourite movies that they need to watch at Christmas, that aren't actually Christas films.

For me

- Willy Wonka
    - Harry Potter saga
    - The Terminal
    - Father of the Bride

None of these are Christmas films, however growing up we watched these at Christmas, so I need to watch them.

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm purposely going to ignore Hallmark and Hallmark-esque type movies from this question. As I could be here all day :P

I would pick either Deck The Halls with Danny DeVito or Surviving Christmas with Ben Affleck.

Haven't seen the Ben Affleck one, but that deck the halls with Danny DeVito is sleep inducing. A really poor film.

Theres only really about 7 or 8 actual christmas movies I watch each year. Never bother with the hallmark-esque ones. The ones I like I have on blue ray and keep them all together downstairs with the blue ray player, in fact the only reason we have a blue ray player is for those christmas films as I got rid of most of my BR & DVD collection.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Whats everyones favourite movies that they need to watch at Christmas, that aren't actually Christas films.

For me

- Willy Wonka
    - Harry Potter saga
    - The Terminal
    - Father of the Bride

None of these are Christmas films, however growing up we watched these at Christmas, so I need to watch them.

Great Escape or one of the Indiana Jones movies. Every Christmas Day in my Nanna's house when growing up. Still like to watch a Indiana Jones when its on over Christmas.

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Great Escape or one of the Indiana Jones movies. Every Christmas Day in my Nanna's house when growing up. Still like to watch a Indiana Jones when its on over Christmas.

Great escape the one that popped into my head earlier, have to throw on her majesty's secret service too, can't have Christmas without Bond in our house.

Advertisement