Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Watched 3 movies this week that I've never seen before:
    Christmas in Connecticut
    Get Santa
    Holiday Affair

2 oldies but goodies, and I really enjoyed Get Santa for what it was. Not sure they'll stand the test of time (ie getting watched next year :))

I watched Operation Christmas Drop, I had hoped it would be "so bad it's good", but it ended up being background noise. I'm hoping Holidate and the new Princess Switch will make up for yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have watched the 2 Christmas Chronicles films on Netflix and they have both been fun films. I think I will avoid the the lifetime style X-mas films for now.

Next 2 to watch are Klaus and Jingle Jangle on Netflix. I think after that will watch Noel on Disney +.

Will watch Scrooged at some point as well. I watch that one every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Watched Christmas with the Kranks last night. If that movies does give you a warm glow inside by the end that I don't know what will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭bladespin

Trying to fit a Christmas move in each night for the past couple of weeks, still always fall back to the old faves: Trading Places, Santa clause, Love actually, Scrooged etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Does anyone know if the following are on before Christmas (or if I can stream them)

Elf
    The Grinch (Jim Carry)
    Fred Clause

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Does anyone know if the following are on before Christmas (or if I can stream them)

Elf
    The Grinch (Jim Carry)
    Fred Clause

Not too many Christmas movies on Terrestrial TV unfortunately. Elf is on on Christmas Eve as shown on the attached list.

https://evoke.ie/2020/12/16/christmas/christmas-movie-schedule

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm watching The Christmas Switch 2 now. It's SO CHRISTMASSY. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m watching home alone now. It really feels like Christmas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »

We watched elf earlier and must admit I'm still really struggling to get into the spirit this year. Just can't seem to kick start it at all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

I'm watching it on Disney plus myself

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Not too many Christmas movies on Terrestrial TV unfortunately. Elf is on on Christmas Eve as shown on the attached list.

https://evoke.ie/2020/12/16/christmas/christmas-movie-schedule

Yeah it's unfortunate. Thank you.

DvB wrote: »
    We watched elf earlier and must admit I'm still really struggling to get into the spirit this year. Just can't seem to kick start it at all.
    The weather is supposed to be bright and cold on Christmas eve and day, which should help. The dreary rainy days don't help at all!
    I won't really feel the buzz until Christmas eve, because I'll still be in work until then!

Posy wrote: »
    The weather is supposed to be bright and cold on Christmas eve and day, which should help. The dreary rainy days don't help at all!
    I won't really feel the buzz until Christmas eve, because I'll still be in work until then!

Probably the same for me too but have been pushing it for so long have lost sight of that... the stress around covid restrictions etc and the weather definitely isn't helping either. I've to pop into the office this morning to collect some bits so will hopefully feel more upbeat on the journey home with Christmas fm playing away.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,170 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Undercover Christmas was on VM channel last night... not a Hallmark one... Jami Gertz (Lost Bots) and Tyne Daly ( Cagney Lacey) were good in it with some snappy one liners. Not super chrismassy I guess the plot could have been done with any homecoming.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I know it doesn't get great reviews but I really like Deck the halls. There, I have said it in public :D

Also Christmas Vacation is a cracker.

The Holiday was my surprise Christmas movie of this year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »

I really don’t rate the holiday as a Christmas movie. Set it at any other time of year and it still works.

I really don’t rate the holiday as a Christmas movie. Set it at any other time of year and it still works.

Just like Die Hard :D

That the one with jude law and Kate Winslet? If so not mad on it at all. Just couldn't get into it. Cameron Diaz character really irritated me for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

DvB wrote: »
    That the one with jude law and Kate Winslet? If so not mad on it at all. Just couldn't get into it. Cameron Diaz character really irritateds me for some reason.

FYP. I can't watch her or Jude Law, in anything, for some reason. She reminds me of an over excitable Pekinese dog, he reminds me of a living Ken doll (yes, I know, it probably sounds cruel). Yet, for some reason, I don't hate The Holiday. Must've been because of the cottage.

New Home wrote: »
    FYP. I can't watch her or Jude Law, in anything, for some reason. She reminds me of an over excitable Pekinese dog, he reminds me of a living Ken doll (yes, I know, it probably sounds cruel). Yet, for some reason, I don't hate The Holiday. Must've been because of the cottage.

Not a fan of most of her stuff to be fair, there's something about Mary about the only one I actually like to watch.
    Jude Law has had a few decent films to be fair, he was great in gattaca.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oh, I don't mean to say they're bad actors! It's just that I can't watch them. I struggle with Laura Linney, too.

(But I hate, hate, HATE "There's something about Mary", it made me want to slap everyone in it).

Reading this again, I should clarify that it’s not going to win any Oscars, is fair from a cinematic masterpiece or a film I would go out of my way to watch.

It was more a surprise that I actually enjoyed it as romcoms are not my thing at all and I usually fall asleep watching them!

I should clarify I like the movie but to me it’s not a Christmas movie at all in the slightest.

Just like Die Hard :D

Take away the office Christmas party and the movie falls apart. The storyline hinges on it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The holiday is one film I don’t like, might be because I don’t like Jude Law :D

Now give me Love Actually :) Love this film

I think the casting just wasn't right for the Holiday. Thank you New Home for helping me figure out why I just can't take to Jude Law - Ken Doll :pac:

I watched Noelle over the weekend, I liked it. It certainly won't win any awards, but I enjoyed the cheesiness, and the yoghurt pants :D

I also watched Holidate, the Princess Switch 2, and the Christmas Chronicles 2. No award winners there either, but in my opinion they score higher than Operation Christmas Drop!

I actually preferred Christmas Chronicles 2 to the first one!
    Autosport wrote: »

I think I prefer The Holiday to Love Actually! Love Actually has always left me a bit cold. :o

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »

Posy wrote: »
    I actually preferred Christmas Chronicles 2 to the first one!

I think I prefer The Holiday to Love Actually! Love Actually has always left me a bit cold. :o

Yep, Andrew Whatshisname and Keira Knightley (or, as I see her, the Moray eel) are two more actors that I can't watch. I loved parts of Love Actually, but not the whole of it. Plus, parts of it were just a rehash from other film plots.

Is my cruel bone showing, tonight?

Advertisement