Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Jude13 wrote: »
    I see the Christmas Chronicles got 1 star in the Guardian review.
    Oh dear!
    Now, in comparison to The Shawshank Redemption, Shindler's List or The Godfather, it's a definite one star movie.
    As a general 'kid has lost faith in Santa/Christmas must be saved, now with added elves' type film, it was grand, like. :)

I watched 'The Holiday Calendar' on Netflix last night. Predictable, cheesy, poor characterisation, weak storyline. Lots of snow, elf costumes and candy canes though, complete with obligatory happy/soppy ending. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We watched the christmas chronicles with the kids yesterday & we all loved it. Its clearly not an oscar contender but so what? Its a fun film & in my opinion a good addition to the christmas movie library. Kurt Russell was excellent in it, he looked like he was having a ball playing the part.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Exactly!

I'll definitely be rewatching it on future Christmases. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

I watched the Christmas Chronicles last night with very low expectations, its a hallmarky movie, the first half was very promising but lost its way. Still worth a watch for Kurt Russell. Not a classic though. Did anyone think there were a few dark moments? As in I am not sure my kids would like it.

Maybe very young/more sensitive kids would be upset when the
    sleigh crashes or they put the toy bag in the furnace
    but the format is pretty much the same as most Christmas films. I'd say if they're old enough for Elf or Home Alone they'd be grand. If they'd be too young for them, maybe not.

Sure all kids are different, the fact that it's not a 'is santa real/I don't believe' type film definitely makes it more palatable for younger viewers. I'd guess 7+ but that's just a guess!! :D

EDIT: The actual film rating for this is PG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭daheff

honeybear wrote: »
    Never seen It’s a Wonderful Life-should I be banned from the Christmas Forum?

its the most overhyped rubbish i've ever seen. We as a family can't fathom how its so well loved!!

it's a wonderful life, the holiday and one I think is brilliant at xmas, the family stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Wonderful life is great
    It won't impress the kids but great film, Just on the issue of spoilers what's people's opinions on miricle​ on 34th for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Also the scene where he speaks sign language​ always gets me such a great scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭MFPM

daheff wrote: »
    its the most overhyped rubbish i've ever seen. We as a family can't fathom how its so well loved!!

I'm not sure it's ever been over hyped, in fact it didn't do particularly well on it's original cinematic release and only built a following over time. It's a decent film with an decent message and it annoyed the FBI and others on it's release so it can't be all bad!

• Advertisement

My OH is watching the Holiday tonight as I am at a work thing. Two actors I can't stand in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Wasn't mad on The Christmas Chronicles but really enjoyed The Princess Switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Jude Law and ?

Oh I remember , Jack Black! Understandable I never liked Jude Law.

Jude law and the titanic lady. Painful

Jude13 wrote: »
    Jude law and the titanic lady. Painful

It's a dreadful film all round. Jude Law is so smug.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Here we go wrote: »
    Just on the issue of spoilers what's people's opinions on miricle​ on 34th for kids

I think it's a lovely film but if you are worried about Santa belief I think it's best for older kids who are on the very, very cusp of not believing. It's also nice after a child is finished believing because it does emphasise the positivity of the myth and how it brings people together and makes them really happy. The whole theme of the film is believing even when there is absolutely no proof of what you believe in. It's about choosing to believe in the face of unlikelihood. Early in the film there is a lot of discussion about how ridiculous it is to believe in Santa and at no point is Kris Kringle ever confirmed to be Santa. The court eventually finds him
    sane based on the mention of God on the dollar
    * so unless your child truly believes in God, then the message is that Santa's existence really is very dubious. As a non-religious family, I'll be doing my best to avoid it for the next 6 years.

*Assuming you mean the 90s version. In the original it's because
    so many letters from believers
    are sent to the court.

I must be missing something with all these christmas films referring to santa as not existing!!:confused:
    Pretty much every one i've watched starts out with people not believing and the remainder of the film taking a journey to show how he does with the end result being santa is real in them all... or am I just genuinely blanking out the obvious?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anyone else watch 'The Christmas Choir' I mentioned a while back?

Seven Worlds will Collide

I haven't... is it a Hallmark film, or on Netflix/regular TV?
    DvB wrote: »
    I must be missing something with all these christmas films referring to santa as not existing!!:confused:
    Pretty much every one i've watched starts out with people not believing and the remainder of the film taking a journey to show how he does with the end result being santa is real in them all... or am I just genuinely blanking out the obvious?
    I think having to prove Santa exists and hearing characters say they don't believe might sew the seeds of doubt with some children, which is why some parents just avoid them until their Children are past Santa age.
    I don't know, I'm not a parent, but I guess that
    these movies might just throw up too many awkward questions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's the fact that they start by introducing the idea that Santa isn't real. Those movies are often the very first time a child learns that there is doubt over Santa's existence. My son doesn't believe in Santa. Santa just is, he doesn't need to believe in him any more than he needs to believe in me or the kitchen table. To him, we all just exist, no question. A movie like Elf or A Very Goofy Christmas put that question into his head.

Those movies will be great when he knows that Santa's existence is in question. Then it will be good to see that some people question it but Santa is still real. But until then I'd rather wait for the question to be put in his head by a friend or his own understanding of what is and isn't possible, rather than have his world rocked in the middle of a festive movie night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Posy wrote: »
    I haven't... is it a Hallmark film, or on Netflix/regular TV?

It is a Hallmark film but it must have been on some regular ch. as I don't have any pay TV.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Guys. The Princess Switch on Netflix. It has it all.

Vanessa Hudgens playing two characters.
    Terrible English accents.
    A nosey butler.
    Made up countries that end in -avia.
    A cheesy start, middle and end.
    Characters who fall in love in two days.

AND

They watch A Christmas Prince on Netflix in it. Netflixception!

I watched that. Pretty much a full house on the bingo card of Christmas Movie cliche's but hey, that's why we watch them eh? :)

It never even occurred to me until I read it here but I'm in a few mammies facebook groups where kids as little as 7 are being told by older kids about Santa.

My fella is only 6 and the excitement out of him - there's no believing as Iguana says. Santa is just a fact. So likewise I don't want him to start pondering the question - not just to potentially spoil his own magic, but he could easily go into school with the doubt and ruin it for other kids.

Neyite wrote: »

It never even occurred to me until I read it here but I'm in a few mammies facebook groups where kids as little as 7 are being told by older kids about Santa.

My fella is only 6 and the excitement out of him - there's no believing as Iguana says. Santa is just a fact. So likewise I don't want him to start pondering the question - not just to potentially spoil his own magic, but he could easily go into school with the doubt and ruin it for other kids.

My two are 7 and have been bombarded with tales of santa not being real at school & by neighbour friends for at least 2 years now, they still watch all the usual christmas movies though & pretty much laugh the non believing characters off as being silly and of course santa exists. We do nothing to dispel that belief (actively encourage it in fact) & indeed long may it continue but until reading it here never ever thought of these movies potentially generating or contributing to doubt seeing as they all pretty much make fools of the 'non believers' thus reinforcing the message that santa is real.

Though I appreciate others may feel differently, I just never realised it being out there until reading it in here is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

This is now an oldie (1995), re-watched it a few nights ago on TV and it is a Christmassy rom-com for those who appreciate the genre
    While You Were Sleeping

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

otnomart wrote: »
    This is now an oldie (1995), re-watched it a few nights ago on TV and it is a Christmassy rom-com for those who appreciate the genre
    While You Were Sleeping

I Love this movie!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Anyone know of a site that lists Christmas movies on terrestrial tv ? Not forking out for sky movies so hoping to catch a few on rte and the like over next couple weeks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

https://entertainment.ie/tv/movies/

This will actually suffice.

Sorry if it has been asked already - the search did not find it - but has anyone watched the "Angelas Christmas" movie that was just added to Netflix a few days ago? Can't find an informative synopsis of it yet so thought maybe someone here can break it down a bit. The preview seems to suggest is has a particularly Christian Narrative but not really sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My go-to Christmas movie isn't a Christmas movie at all, it's "Fierce Creatures", but it's MY Christmas movie because it just brings back good memories of a specific Christmas eve nearly 15 years ago.

I know, call the men in white coats... :rolleyes: :o

Advertisement