Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

A lot of people class Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory as a Christmas film, because it's on every year, so that's not too mad! It's all about how the film makes you feel/memories it invokes, I think.

Angela's Christmas is based on a story Frank McCourt's mother told him about her Christmas as a child (1910 I think) and going to mass on Christmas eve where she sees Baby Jesus in the crib.
    I watched this when it was on Christmas day last year. I loved it. Very cute. It's a great addition to Netflix. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Angela's Christmas is lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Watching a Joyous Christmas on channel 5 right now, it's ok, not as cringy as some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm watching a Muppet Family Christmas for the thousandth time. It's all on YouTube now. Muppets, Fraggles and Sesame Street, what's not to love!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sorry if it has been asked already - the search did not find it - but has anyone watched the "Angelas Christmas" movie that was just added to Netflix a few days ago? Can't find an informative synopsis of it yet so thought maybe someone here can break it down a bit. The preview seems to suggest is has a particularly Christian Narrative but not really sure.

It doesn't have a Christian narrative. The characters go to mass and (Catholic) Christianity is the unquestioned norm to them, as it would have been for most Irish people around 1910. But it's not a story that venerates the church or the Christian story of Christmas. Tbh, it's a story by Frank McCourt who hated the church for how it treated so many Irish people at the time and the hypocrisy of many of the clergy. So while it's an inclusive story, which I think Christians can enjoy, it's also not a story filled with Christian messages and it's clearly a story that helped colour his view as an adult, if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057934681

Don't forget to nominate your favourite Christmas Movie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

So today I watched the Mistletoe promise and now watching a holiday wish come true. So addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OK I have a confession. Until this week I had never watched Arthur Christmas. Not sure why. Just had some strange suspicion it wasn't for me. But now I'm kicking myself for not watching it sooner. It's fantastic!!! I loved every second. It's definitely on my list of favourites and I'll be watching it every year. Might even watch again this year closer to the big day!

Arthur Christmas is an underrated gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

On a side note, why do 99% of Christmas movies revolve around people not believing in santa? Annoying for young kids who don't question the belief. All these movies they're wondering why so many movie characters don't believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

We watched four Christmas's last night, very yank but some comical scenes involving vomit so that helps.

• Advertisement

So far, I've watched-
    The Christmas Lodge
    The Princess Switch
    The Holiday Calendar
    Holiday Inn

I must ramp up my festive film watching now that it's December! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Anyone for Serendipity? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭DvB

New Home wrote: »

Great film. Though I'm biased as I love Kate Beckinsale!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

New Home wrote: »

Not a fan

That's all right, I'll forgive you. :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,302 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Watched the sequel to A Christmas Prince last night - not as good as the first one. They've gone too cheesy in some ways & they recast the dad too. That said, I'll probably still give it another viewing over the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

The Krampus is worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I watched The Holiday Calendar last night. Cheesy, predictable,warm and fuzzy delights. Two very good looking gentlemen also helped me enjoy the viewing experience.

The lead was very likeable and good to see a bit of diversity since most christmas films are as white as snow!

Yeah, I liked The Holiday Calendar.

I started watching A Christmas Inheritance last night and it's really enjoyable so far. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Has anyone watched Christmas with the Coopers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I watched Narrow Escape last night - it is one of my go to Christmas movies. It's based on a true story about a American-Korean baby who was on a US Navy ship in the 50's. It's got Gerald McRaney & John Boy from the Waltons in it.

I wasn't mad on a Christmas Inheritance, the guy really annoyed me in it for some reason. I'll give The Holiday Calendar a go over the weekend. Mr. CL is working all weekend so I'll have no one to dispute my movie choices :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Channel 4 is showing Arthur Christmas tomorrow at 16.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Posy wrote: »
    So far, I've watched-
    The Christmas Lodge
    The Princess Switch
    The Holiday Calendar
    Holiday Inn

I must ramp up my festive film watching now that it's December! :)

We have seen
    the Santa clause
    White Christmas
    The snow man
    The snow dog
    The Grinch
    Fred clause
    The Christmas cronicles
    And Angela's Christmas

Oh, I just remembered, The Nightmare before Christmas!! And Edward Scissorhands, too. :)

I'm only watching Christmas films I've never seen before.
    I'm saving the classics for nearer the big day! :)

Has anyone seen "Creature Comforts", the stop-motion animation series by Aardvaark? They're made up by a number of short clips, but in their DVD boxset there's a Christmas special. Absolutely adorable!

I like Creature Comforts, it's very cute! :)
    Loughc wrote: »
    I might watch it this weekend, it looks decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Loughc wrote: »

Seems like a bleak drama rather than something joyful. Watched 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

We set up the projector outside and shined it against the wall. Threw some logs in the fire pit, which I had to move as it was smoking too much. Hot chocolate, cauliflower based pizza delivered, and watched in bruges. It was class, I had forgotten how good it was.

Advertisement