Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top ten places that suck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Even though he's just focusing on prices, it has to be on any list of ****e places. Was only thinking about it walking around the city the other night, it has absolutely no redeeming features any more.

_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Any chance of putting up the rest of the list for context so we don't have to listen to your man?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Patww79 wrote: »
    Had to be on the list. Was only thinking about it walking around the city the other night, it has absolutely no redeeming features any more.

The biggest irony in Dublin is the protect the skyline nonsense and it a steaming pile of mismatched garbage. Total kip and fully deserving of the next big crash .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Collie D wrote: »
    Any chance of trying up the rest of the list for context so we don't have to listen to your man?

Oughterard to help Collie D(ublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well he is right. Its an overpriced city. Far too expensive for a hotel, pint of fancy meal out.

But,

We still have
    Fantastic tourist attractions,
    Amazing culture and rich history
    Great nightlife amd social locations

So,.probably is a well overpriced hellhole. But its still a lovely city. Granted their are problems, but as cities go, Dublin is pretty alright.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Guinness Hop Store me arse. Pure sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

In no particular order...

1) New Ross, Co. Wexford
    2) Ballingeary, Co. Cork
    3) Kilrush, Co. Clare
    4) All of West Dublin
    5) Tipperary Town
    6) Courtown, Co. Wexford
    7) Ballyhea, Co. Cork
    8) Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
    9) Castleisland, Co. Kerry
    10) Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is your ma number one?

Someone needs to say it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Pascha in Germany, that place sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

In no particular order...

1) New Ross, Co. Wexford
    2) Ballingeary, Co. Cork
    3) Kilrush, Co. Clare
    4) All of West Dublin
    5) Tipperary Town
    6) NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG
    7) Ballyhea, Co. Cork
    8) Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
    9) Castleisland, Co. Kerry
    10) Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Collie D wrote: »
    Any chance of putting up the rest of the list for context so we don't have to listen to your man?

The list is below the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

In name only, the Suck valley in the west of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

kneemos wrote: »
    Guess who comes ninth?

Yes,Dublin

https://youtu.be/Hhkw5kSx4D4
    The list is below the video.

This is quite lazy

It’s your thread OP

mikemac2 wrote: »
    This is quite lazy

It’s your thread OP

In the time it took you to type that you could have looked at the list, even posted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

So, have you seen Fr. Shortall lately?

Suppose he must be 80 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

In the time it took you to type that you could have looked at the list, even posted it.

That wouldn't tell the OP he was lazy tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

This is quite lazy

It’s your thread OP

Is your last servant in therapy or something?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dublin is outrageously overpriced for a city of its size and status. I really don't know how it can be considered competitive in that regard. I suspect stratospheric house prices and rents are are feeding into high prices.

And the govt don't seem to care one iota...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Worst town in Ireland has to be Thurles. What a **** hole. Iv been in a lot of towns across this country but that place is on a whole new level of backward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is your last servant in therapy or something?

Now you know how we feel with your questions :)

Dresden
    Dublin
    Iceland
    Disney World
    Germany's romantic road..whatever the **** that is
    Varanasi, India
    The Maldives
    Dracula's Castle
    Stonehenge
    Some place in Myanmar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well he is right. Its an overpriced city. Far too expensive for a hotel, pint of fancy meal out.

But,

We still have
    Fantastic tourist attractions,
    Amazing culture and rich history
    Great nightlife amd social locations

Couldnt call any of those fantastic, amazing, or great.
    Compared to other cities (there must be dozens of cities even just in Europe that are easily more interesting), Dublin has little to recommend it. I would never suggest to foreigners to visit it, and even when some work colleagues from abroad are here and looking for advice on what to see around Dublin, its a bit embarrassing how there is so little for them to see or do.
    Having said that, its not a bad city to live in, but for tourism, I would rate it right down there with the likes of Birmingham or Stuttgart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

This is quite lazy

It’s your thread OP

Exactly, so he can do what he wants with it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Be more expensive now that the VAT is increased on the hospitality industry.

(probably be doubled under the umbrella of the budget changes too)

Unsustainable. Who the feck wants to come here to spend so much money on mediocre shyte.

Anyway, they seem to want to. But I can tell you now, if anyone told me it would cost E250 a night to stay in a hotel in Dublin (as opposed to Paris, Rome, Florence etc.), I would back away quietly and go somewhere else.

The high prices will be the death of our Tourism Industry. It is just unsustainable.

I was surprised that the reason behind Dublin sucking wasn't that it's filthy, dark, and wet with streets filled with drug addicts, homeless people and beggars. Being expensive is the least of it's turn-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dublin is great, I am a native and I love it, but don't like it much if you get me. That is my gripe about DCC, for another thread.

There is no way the city can sustain the prices for accommodation anymore. Especially now that AIRbnb is being restricted. You would think we were Venice or Vienna or something.

We have to get real here and dial down the hubris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Can I add Navan? It was a f**king kip before any Dub arrived.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hairyslug wrote: »
    6) NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG
    Thanks for clearing up why Courtown, Co. Wexford is on the list.

Courtown is a really grim place.

Courtown is a really grim place.

It always was. Such a pity considering that all of the surrounding places e.g. Cahore, Ballygarrett, Poulshone, etc are actually very nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

DareGod wrote: »
    I was surprised that the reason behind Dublin sucking wasn't that it's filthy, dark, and wet with streets filled with drug addicts, homeless people and beggars. Being expensive is the least of it's turn-offs.

People who like to travel (and love even more to tell you how much they love to travel) tend to ignore those things. Seems an odd way to "absorb other cultures" but whatever keeps them happy. Maybe they're from an even bigger shíthole so they don't think much when they see more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

OwlsZat wrote: »
    The biggest irony in Dublin is the protect the skyline nonsense and it a steaming pile of mismatched garbage. Total kip and fully deserving of the next big crash .

Cork is MUCH nicer.

Cork is MUCH nicer.

Cork is a great spot. The towns on the road to it are spectacularly sh1te though, pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's because the city is not filhy or dark (Unless you don't think other cities don't get nighttime).

I know plenty of foregners who find Dublin to be a beautiful city.

It's just anti Dublin people on the internet who say it's just full of drug addicts and homeless people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Couldnt call any of those fantastic, amazing, or great.
    Compared to other cities (there must be dozens of cities even just in Europe that are easily more interesting), Dublin has little to recommend it. I would never suggest to foreigners to visit it, and even when some work colleagues from abroad are here and looking for advice on what to see around Dublin, its a bit embarrassing how there is so little for them to see or do.
    Having said that, its not a bad city to live in, but for tourism, I would rate it right down there with the likes of Birmingham or Stuttgart.

Most tourist city breaks are 2-3 days long. There’s plenty to do in Dublin in that time.

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's because the city is not filhy or dark (Unless you don't think other cities don't get nighttime).

It's just anti Dublin people on the internet who say it's just full of drug addicts and homeless people.

It is. Can't go a few yards without some filthy scobe hassling you for a hostel or some other ****e. It's a poisonous kip.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    People who like to travel (and love even more to tell you how much they love to travel) tend to ignore those things. Seems an odd way to "absorb other cultures" but whatever keeps them happy. Maybe they're from an even bigger shíthole so they don't think much when they see more of it.

Because most touristy cities have homeless, muggings etc. Plenty are wet. If you want a safe holiday stay in the caravan beside the village. Just be careful of the winter storms.

murpho999 wrote: »

It's not the lack of daylight in the evenings that makes it filthy and dark.

And I was pro Dublin myself until the past couple of years, when my rose tinted glasses finally fell far and shattered hard.

Dublin City is a million miles from beautiful so I'd love to hear precisely what the foreigners you know are referring to.

Outside the city centre there are a massive amount of gorgeous places to see. Inside it, it's currently nothing but a hell hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

1, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    2, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    3, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    4, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    5, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    6, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    7, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    8, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    9, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    10, Arklow, Co.Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'm planning to do a two week tour of Germany taking in Dresden and Stuttgart along the way, oh well.

1, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    2, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    3, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    4, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    5, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    6, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    7, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    8, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    9, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
    10, Arklow, Co.Wicklow

Arkla, Co.Wickla.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Dublin: "like getting mugged by the monopoly man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Just out of curiosity really. What would the people saying Dublin is great say that it has in the way of tourist attractions?

Cause I myself can't think of much beyond the Jameson distillery, Guinness store house and Viking splash? Maybe temple bar if you're that way inclined I guess but personally I wouldn't recommend Dublin for much beyond a drunken weekend and if that's what you're looking for there are many better places to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Outside the city centre there are a massive amount of gorgeous places to see. Inside it, it's currently nothing but a hell hole.
    True. The opposite of many European cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

True. The opposite of many European cities.

It's not the lack of daylight in the evenings that makes it filthy and dark.

And I was pro Dublin myself until the past couple of years, when my rose tinted glasses finally fell far and shattered hard.

Dublin City is a million miles from beautiful so I'd love to hear precisely what the foreigners you know are referring to.

My wife is Dutch and we get plenty of visitors over and they all enjoyed the city and found it very beautiful.

They liked the architecture, Georgian squares and its doors. Stephen's Green and Phoenix Park as well as the nice shops and shopping centres and general vibe of the place.

Calling it a hellhole is completely ridiculous.
    Try an African or Indian city for a real take of what a hellhole is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

wexie wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity really. What would the people saying Dublin is great say that it has in the way of tourist attractions?

Cause I myself can't think of much beyond the Jameson distillery, Guinness store house and Viking splash? Maybe temple bar if you're that way inclined I guess but personally I wouldn't recommend Dublin for much beyond a drunken weekend and if that's what you're looking for there are many better places to do it.

I regularly meet my German girlfriend in Dublin for a weekend or a few days and have had very enjoyable weekends. For me coming from Clare the price of drink in the tourist areas is a joke but I’m fairly used to it having been to the likes of Oslo and Paris which are pretty much double what you pay in Dublin.

Plenty to do and see in Dublin.
    Bike ride around Phoenix Park
    Glasnevin cemetery and botanical gardens
    Epic immigration museum
    Kilmainom Gaol
    Little museum of Dublin.

We find it way too easy to bash our own places. There are much much more worse places to visit in Europe never mind the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Chester Beatty library , museums while not on a par with some of the museums abroad still pretty good , the Basin , some nice parks , lots of buildings of historical interest .

In no particular order:

Trinity College
    Book of Kells
    Christchurch Cathedral
    Dublin Castle
    Phoenix Park
    GPO
    St Patrick's Cathedral
    The National Gallery
    The National Library
    Chester Beatty Library
    National Botanic Gardens
    Marsh's Library
    Kimainham Jail
    Richmond Barracks
    Collin's Barracks National Museurm
    The Little Museum of Dublin

There's tons of stuff to see and do in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Dublin is outrageously overpriced for a city of its size and status. I really don't know how it can be considered competitive in that regard. I suspect stratospheric house prices and rents are are feeding into high prices.

And the govt don't seem to care one iota...

Absolutely! Dublin prices swan around as if we're a city like London or San Francisco, it can't be sustainable at this rate.

Why would the government care? It's not like their own pockets are hit in any way by increasing prices.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Absolutely! Dublin prices swan around as if we're a city like London or San Francisco, it can't be sustainable at this rate.

Why would the government care? It's not like their own pockets are hit in any way by increasing prices.

The hotel prices reflect demand. Ergo tourism can’t really be affected by high prices because causality runs the other way - tourist demand fuels high prices. If tourism levels drop hotel prices fall.

Or if room supply increases. That’s the other more favourable option. Luckily Dublin has 79 hotels in the pipeline.

• Advertisement
Advertisement