Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour Of Flanders Sportive

Options
  • 14-10-2018 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Looking to do this next year. Does anyone know when the tickets come out? And where?

Also any tips. THink I'm going to do the 174m as it starts and finishes in the same place.

Comments

They went on sale early November last year but I still got one in January. Best not to wait till then though if you definitely want one.

Be prepared to have to walk some climbs due to the sheer volume of traffic and the state of some of the cobbles, Molenberg, Koppenberg and Paterberg being particularly crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

+1 Bring cleat covers! if you don't, you run a real risk of wearing out your cleats on the cobbles as you walk! Start as early as possible and try to avoid the crowds. When we did it, we had to drive to the start as we were late and traffic was a nightmare. If possible, stay in Ghent and cycle to the start in Oudenaard along the canal. its a 35k flat spin : https://www.strava.com/activities/280172929#6567234952

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I did the full distance, my reasoning was why go all the way over there and not get the full experience? Also by the time you get to the hills (after approx 100 k) all the riders on the shorter distance are gone and you only have the riders you are with, so you wont have to walk any climbs.

I had a lift to Bruges and a lift back from Oudenaarde, so I was lucky.

Best bet is to stay in Bruges. There is a bus back from the finish to Bruges, but you need to book it early it fills up quickly.

Another tip is to make sure your bottle cages are tight. There will be bottles everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Another tip is to make sure your bottle cages are tight. There will be bottles everywhere.
    no need for bottle cages at all so. just scavenge from other riders' lost bottles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've just moved to Eindhoven, so if be stupid not to consider this. There are a few air bnbs close to the start. I'm just wondering if the date is definitely set at the 6th of April.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Best bet is to stay in Bruges. There is a bus back from the finish to Bruges, but you need to book it early it fills up quickly.

How do you book the bus from Bruges?
    And I'm obviously presuming it takes your bike?

Brian? wrote: »
    I've just moved to Eindhoven, so if be stupid not to consider this. There are a few air bnbs close to the start. I'm just wondering if the date is definitely set at the 6th of April.

The pro race has been confirmed for April 7th. And the sportive is always the day before. So I think it's safe enough to assume it will be April 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

I've flights and accommodation booked. Flying to Brussels, staying in Ghent. Was in contact with organization in charge and enteries due to go out end of October. Heading over with clubmatee. We done roubaix this year and it really is a great experience.

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    I've flights and accommodation booked. Flying to Brussels, staying in Ghent. Was in contact with organization in charge and enteries due to go out end of October. Heading over with clubmatee. We done roubaix this year and it really is a great experience.

How are you planning on getting from Ghent to Antwerp for the start (if doing the longer distance)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

How do you book the bus from Bruges?
    And I'm obviously presuming it takes your bike?

The long version starts in Bruges, so best to stay close to there if doing the long event.

There is a bus back from Oudenaarde to Bruges for you & your bike, this IIRC was booked on the RVV Sportif website - however I tried to book it quite late in the day and there were no spaces left.

The best thing about the long event is that you do 100 k on flat roads, in a big peleton, just rolling along at approx. 32/35 k - then you realise you still have to do 150 k approx and you havent seen a hill or a cobble yet!

Dastardly 00 there's a shuttle option that can bebooked when booking registration. I used this option fir roubaix.

The long route starts in Antwerp these days, a bit of a spin from Bruges if you just realise it that morning.

The long version starts in Bruges, so best to stay close to there if doing the long event.

As red ken said, the long version now starts in Antwerp! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sound.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Registration opens in 3 weeks

Registration opens on November 7th at midday

It's like Christmas Eve eve

I'm all signed up. 175km option

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Same here. Excited now. Accomodation seems expensive! Where u planning in staying?

• Advertisement

I've booked accommodation in Ghent. Limited options in oudenaarde.

Same here. Excited now. Accomodation seems expensive! Where u planning in staying?

How come ye are not doing the 229 km version? :D

Staying 30 k from start. Cycling to start that morning.

Staying 30 k from start. Cycling to start that morning.

And 30 km on the way back too. Makes sense to do the 175 km option alright

Has anyone that's registered for this received any confirmation email

Yeah, email within minutes of registering

Just rechecked spam folder. Email received. Panic over

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

Which website did you lads use to register? I did LBL a few years back and it was great. This is on the list also.

I googled we ride Flanders. There's also a link through their Facebook page. I done roubaix last year and I'm very very tempted to go back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Might be of interest to some of ye

http://www.proximuscyclingchallenge.be/

Proximus sponsor a load of Gran Fondo/Sportives i Belgium, some of which are basically just the routes of pro races. I've never done one, but they are super cheap I think

Advertisement