Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour Of Flanders Sportive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    I googled we ride Flanders. There's also a link through their Facebook page. I done roubaix last year and I'm very very tempted to go back

Thanks yes this is official website which I strangely I didnt see when I googled tour of Flanders. There are many other websites you can book through but they probably charge a commission.

http://www.sport.be/werideflanders/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anybody know where the sportive starts in Antwerp?

The courses are up on the website now

http://www.werideflanders.com/en/parcours/

Only 2 months to go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

How's everyones preparations getting on?

I've been using Trainer Road since October for the majority of my training. Doing a quick bit of maths... I am averaging one session per week, along with two strength & conditioning sessions per week, one swim every second week, and one hilly outdoor spin every 2-3 weeks). I'm happy enough with my progress so far as I had to take a few weeks off in December because of a back injury, and I've had a bit of a head cold for the last couple of weeks.

From this weekend on my main goal is to get outside on the bike more, and increase the distance week-by-week. I'm done with the pool until after the sportive and I'll start tapering down my strength & conditioning work soon.

All travel arrangements, eg. flights, hotel etc. are all booked. The only thing I have left to do on that front is to book the rental of a bike box. The lbs here in Galway only have a bike bag, so I'll have to rent from somewhere in Dublin and collect it when I'm on the way to the airport.

How is it going for you lizzylad84?

• Advertisement

FYI I'm using a chain reaction bike bag this year, there easier to lug around the airport. Last year a clubmste used a cardboard box fir his on our trip to roubaix.

All sorted, just have to check out train times from airport to accommodation in ghent

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Everything sorted except car rental. Got 90km done on the road Sunday so was happy with that. I'm renting bike over there so hopefully all is sorted.

Looking forward to it now. Hopefully weather is kind next few weekends and I can get out on road consistent with potentially sat Sunday long spin at least one weekend to get the legs ready

What distance are you signed up for

What distance are you signed up for

229 km

*gulp*

170k for me, staying in Ghent, cycling down to oudenaarde that morning

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't think you are missing anything by not doing the extra 60 km.

Same here. Think it's 30k from Ghent. Right spin

Mistermathew 30 odd k spin along the canal.

Mistermathew 30 odd k spin along the canal.
    AHH cool. Might see you on it so. Is there a start time officially or is it just turn up whenever suits

iirc start time is from 7am? Was at roubaix anyway?

iirc start time is from 7am? Was at roubaix anyway?

Start time for 174 km is from 7-8am.

Paris-Roubaix was 8-10am I think?

Any plans /suggestions as to where's best to watch the race on Sunday?

5 days to go! How are we all set?

I did a 125 km (~1,400 m elevation gain) solo spin yesterday which will be my last ride before the event. I'll be riding a Canyon Endurace with disc brakes and 28 mm tyres, and I have fitted SPD MTB pedals for ease of unclipping if required. I've watched a few YouTube videos of people with GoPro footage from the sportive, and it is really is narrow on the climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

5 days to go! How are we all set?

I did a 125 km (~1,400 m elevation gain) solo spin yesterday which will be my last ride before the event. I'll be riding a Canyon Endurace with disc brakes and 28 mm tyres, and I have fitted SPD MTB pedals for ease of unclipping if required. I've watched a few YouTube videos of people with GoPro footage from the sportive, and it is really is narrow on the climbs.

Just shout at people to get out the way. Managed to get up the climbs easy enough, even in the wet.

Kwaremont is a great place to watch on Sunday.

Nerves starting to kick in. Looking forward to Saturday. It's all about crossing the finish line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Staying in Ghent and driving down to Oudenarde with bike in the boot, can't face the extra 22km there and back. Going to watch race in the Oudenarde suburb of Leupegem, where I think I'll see the race three times including the finish, albeit not on one of the classic bergs. Did 160km on Saturday and felt good so looking forward to this now

54386914_2037627036356468_2141010651248590848_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=3f5564e51e7cf78b872f90097686bec9&oe=5D4C4551

There's decent weather forecast as well, cold early on but dry.

God if its anything like roubaix was last year we're in for a treat. I cane hone with sunburn

Jesus, only 1100 women doing it???? Maybe they have more sense.

2 over 80 doing it, 80 over 70. Hope I have their legs at that age!!!!!!

Great, woke up this morning with a heavy chest and a dose of the flu

Being prone to chest infections (which scuppered my roubaix trip in2016) I'm contemplating dropping down a distance for Saturday

^^^^
    Aw crap that's a disaster! :(
    When are you flying out?

Flying out Thursday at 6.30 am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Being prone to chest infections (which scuppered my roubaix trip in2016) I'm contemplating dropping down a distance for Saturday

Hope you're feeling better by Saturday - tough luck with Roubaix in 2016 and hope it doesn't happen you again.

Advertisement