Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep not thriving

• 14-10-2018 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Hi have about 20 Hoggets that are not thriving and in fact going backwards. They were all dosed for fluke etc and git a mineral dose but still doing poorly. They were the lady of the Hoggets I had for sale and was going to put them to the ram but they are not in good enough condition to out yo the ram. Was thinking of getting blood tests done by vet. Any ideas on what's causing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

sea12 wrote: »
    Hi have about 20 Hoggets that are not thriving and in fact going backwards. They were all dosed for fluke etc and git a mineral dose but still doing poorly. They were the lady of the Hoggets I had for sale and was going to put them to the ram but they are not in good enough condition to out yo the ram. Was thinking of getting blood tests done by vet. Any ideas on what's causing it?

Are they dirty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Are they dirty?

No odd one but not in general.

No odd one but not in general.

Had similar issue with hog the start if the year - got a fecal sample done and showed cocci. Dosed with vecoxan...
    But - my hogs were dirty, a good few of em anyways...

Fecal sample might be worth doing before bloods... if as you say they have minerals got... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭148multi

Had similar issue with hog the start if the year - got a fecal sample done and showed cocci. Dosed with vecoxan...
    But - my hogs were dirty, a good few of em anyways...

Fecal sample might be worth doing before bloods... if as you say they have minerals got... ?

+1 what's their ears like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I was going to suggest OPA or Jaggsietke disease but i would doubt it if all of them are not thriving, if it was the odd one then maybe? Is their any nasal discharge?
    Hearing reports of considerable numbers of flocks that have scanned for OPA and having to cull large numbers.

Greysides are you seeing much of it present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

what breed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

What dose did you use to fluke them?

razor8 wrote: »
    What dose did you use to fluke them?

Could fluke be the issue, given the exceptionally dry year we had?

Yea they were on wet ground early in spring. We’re dosed with duo tech in May. Area prone to fluke actually gave them a dose of levamos diamond at weekend.

Wars are fine so don’t think it’s cobalt but gave them a dose of that a week ago too. Across a few breeds so not just down to one breed.

No nasal discharge.

I was going to suggest OPA or Jaggsietke disease but i would doubt it if all of them are not thriving, if it was the odd one then maybe? Is their any nasal discharge?
    Hearing reports of considerable numbers of flocks that have scanned for OPA and having to cull large numbers.

Greysides are you seeing much of it present?

What’s opa Antrim glen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Yea they were on wet ground early in spring. We’re dosed with duo tech in May. Area prone to fluke actually gave them a dose of levamos diamond at weekend.

Wars are fine so don’t think it’s cobalt but gave them a dose of that a week ago too. Across a few breeds so not just down to one breed.

No nasal discharge.

We had lambs dung sampled a couple of weeks ago and showed up with stomach fluke, we were a bit shocked and dosed according and lambs started to thrive again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

No nasal discharge.

Levafas doesn’t do immature flock. I would be dosing with something like flukivor or ridafluke if they were mine.

What’s opa Antrim glen?

OPA is a pulmonary respiratory disease, affecting the lungs, often known as wheelbarrow disease because if you hold them up by their hind legs you would see a nasal discharge.
    Usually see it in slightly older sheep but i know i had four hoggets last year with it as they had a great appetite but just didn't thrive after I bought them in as ewe lambs.
    Their lungs are affected as it's a cancer and is contagious as it's a retrovirus. There's a vet practice up here scanning the lungs of flocks to see how prevalent it is, but i heard of one man culling over seventy ewes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

OPA is a pulmonary respiratory disease, affecting the lungs, often known as wheelbarrow disease because if you hold them up by their hind legs you would see a nasal discharge.
    Usually see it in slightly older sheep but i know i had four hoggets last year with it as they had a great appetite but just didn't thrive after I bought them in as ewe lambs.
    Their lungs are affected as it's a cancer and is contagious as it's a retrovirus. There's a vet practice up here scanning the lungs of flocks to see how prevalent it is, but i heard of one man culling over seventy ewes.

Is this not a problem with texels

Is this not a problem with texels

Don’t honestly know if it’s more breed specific or not. There’s a vet on Twitter tonight using the farmersoftheuk account who is scanning for it at the minute and has pics of affected lungs etc up.

Advertisement