Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are you right now? Part 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Trundling home, heating guy not coming until afternoon :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Came on 2 minor accidents on my way to work, there's black ice in our area. Be careful out there guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Grim reading here last night. We all want Shpud2 to get better but I do find the self harming posts very distressing as have been thru it with a family member. It’s is way to delicate a subject to be bandied about on a light hearted thread and the professional help that is needed will not be found here.
    While I would love to be in a position to help I worry sick about that poster and that I or someone may say the wrong thing and make things worse.
    Please talk to the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm laid up with my bad back. Hopefully by taking it easy today I will be okay for another few months. Very grateful to my husband who has taken over everything that I was meant to do today, if I didn't have him I'd be screwed.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Where am I? Deskside drinking some green tea :)

Just a quick note here guys, I don't want to drag the thread off-topic and if anyone has any questions or comments about the message I'm posting, please PM me rather than posting here.

Last night, a user posted in obvious distress. It is natural to want to help and be encouraging. However freshpopcorn did the right thing in asking the user to stop posting that content and giving details of where to get professional help. None of us here are professionally trained to help a person in such distress correctly. Any time spent talking to you or me is time that an unwell person is *not* talking to the appropriate professional and is delaying them in getting the help that they need at a crucial time. Unintentionally we may do more harm than good by saying the 'wrong' thing.

For the same reasons, please do not engage in PM exchanges with a distressed user.

Please report the posts/PMs and let the mods or admins deal with the situation. I have previously spoken with Aware about how best to take care of distressed users on the site. They gave lots of advice which we follow and though it may seem unkind, the best thing is to remove all talk of self-harm/suicide and to direct the user to speak to professionals who are better placed to help them.

There is a thread here in After Hours for users in distress which you may find useful and another in Personal Issues here.

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Still bedside. Not in college till 2 so I’ll get up shortly. But for the moment I’m cosy and warm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Im sat at my desk, procrastinating like a good un

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Getting good pruning done in the garden.

Fresh air is clearing my head.

Hopefully the thread will be less distressing in future.

Now if we could just reduce the smut.
    🤓

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

🤓

Must...resist...must....not...say...anything...smutty :pac:

I'm booking tickets to go to the cinema this evening with a friend of mine. I didn't get there yesterday but today is a new day :)

Sleeve Russell spa for the day with my buddy!!
    We will look & feel so young after I'm sure.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Jeez it's all kicking off around here recently, been busy at the coalface all morning so only catching up now......

Anyway, deskside after a very productive morning, didn't notice it was lunchtime until a colleague let me know, bite to eat now and should have an easy enough afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Fresh air is clearing my head.

Hopefully the thread will be less distressing in future.

🀓

Well, that's 20 users gonna be out of a job then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Just stopped at the paulstown service station off the M7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Back home, don't know who is more excited to see me, the dog or the wife, admittedly the dog got more treats from Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Just stopped at the paulstown service station off the M7

You're either in the wrong town or the wrong motorway :pac:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Having a pub lunch for one! Working at a different location today and on expenses so why not spend my 14.01 euro on myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Chapter 1 cafe cavan, getting lunch.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Why? What will you achieve by doing that?

The "MODS" have given you links to professionals as they have quite rightly pointed out that we aren't trained to help you, so why don't you try to stay here with your other issues, talk about your photography, your mavic, you dog, college and your life. But the deep stuff either try the other threads or call the professionals.

+1. It would be a shame to see you go. We all wanna help we just don’t really know what to do as we’re not trained in this, as has been pointed out recently.

Also, I just got to college. Got a space in the free car park so that’s some money saved for today. Off to class I go

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Deskside, staring in despair at the 48 essays that have just landed in my inbox. Of the four I've glanced at so far, three suggest that 9/11 was the first ever terrorist attack and two students have written their names on their (supposed-to-be) anonymous essays.

I'm going to need a lot of chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

couchside, back home :) had a lovely time in London, many thanks for the birthday wishes x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Train home. Off til Monday ! Spain tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I'm in work working.

I'm in work working.

Same.... Very quiet here though. If there was 10 people in since I opened at 10am I would be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm in work working.

So am I. But as I work a lot from home, the distractions are outrageous.:eek:

Grandeeod wrote: »
    So am I. But as I work a lot from home, the distractions are outrageous.:eek:

But, you get to work in PJs all day!!! Would love that so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am at work and am wondering if having a medicinal hot whisky is breaking dry January?

It probably is but hard to get excited about a hot black currant juice or whatever the prescribed alternative is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Samsgirl wrote: »
    But, you get to work in PJs all day!!! Would love that so much.
    It's not all it's cracked up to be. Working from home just leads to eating all the sweets, biscuits, cakes and ice creams in the house within the first hour, the rest of the time is spent thinking about wanting more.

Think I'll work from home tomorrow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I am at work and am wondering if having a medicinal hot whisky is breaking dry January?

It probably is but hard to get excited about a hot black currant juice or whatever the prescribed alternative is.

Always permitted for truly medicinal purposes, provided you're too ill to fully enjoy it.

Lighting the fire and enjoying the view from the sitting room of fields and reed beds alive with colour and light from some beautiful low winter sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's not all it's cracked up to be. Working from home just leads to eating all the sweets, biscuits, cakes and ice creams in the house within the first hour, the rest of the time is spent thinking about wanting more.

Think I'll work from home tomorrow :pac:

This is so true.. the tube of Fruit Pastilles that was on offer for €1 and supposed to last a day or two didn't even last an hour! :p

Hospital appointment this morning so working from home the rest of the day. Been busy too all afternoon with various calls and mails to chase stuff. Not sure what to do for dinner, but then I'm not sure what's in the freezer.

I do have an urge for a Chinese though, despite being told today that I really need to think about my diet a bit more. Problem is that everything I LIKE is "bad" and I'm not into salads and stuff! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement