Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repairing tv's and electric heaters

• 14-10-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm handy enough at fixing simple bits and bobs but wary of electrics.

Is it likely to get someone at nixer money to fix a tv (replace a board or leds) and to fix Dimplex fan heaters (blower motor gone etc)? I'm asking is there a market for that anymore or are we really in a throwaway culture?

Looking at Youtube, I'll possibly give it a go myself. I have a multimeter and am fairly thorough. But always wary of electrics.

Any opinions? I don't like scrapping stuff and like to buy parts and fit when I can.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I see dimplex fan heaters selling for 30 /35 euro brand new online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I see dimplex fan heaters selling for 30 /35 euro brand new online.

Thanks, but mine are a Mozart (400 rrp) and a Club (2-270rrp) and an older Sherborne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The rent and labour costs associated with running a repair business and the low replacement cost for most appliances (making repair an uneconomic option) has effectively been the death of the business.

Even if you decide to have a go yourself, getting parts will be a major problem if not downright impossible. Your TV or any other appliance is probably made in China or Malaysia, no local store can afford to stock parts for all models and all makes of TVs because they would be obsolete in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If you google domestic appliance repairs you might find someone near you who can fix the heaters (probably have to pay vat of course).

google tv repair and you should find someone who can fix the tv?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've been looking for someone to fix an oil radiator, a couple of radios/tape recorders and a vacuum cleaner myself, but the last chap I knew of in my area closed his shop in 2007, and more's the pity. I hate having to throw out an otherwise perfectly good item just because there's a small, fixable thing wrong with it.

I'd love to find out if anyone out there still repairs things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

if you let us know where you are perhaps someone here would be able to either assist or know someone who can?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Back on this again, someone else might be interested to know that there's an electrical repair workshop pretty much opposite Tesco in Ballina.

Oh, and then there's this. https://www.repairmystuff.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

New Home wrote: »
    Oh, and then there's this. https://www.repairmystuff.ie/
    Well done. Thanks for that.

Resurrecting this thread in case someone else needs it - I've just come across this thread in the Sligo forum - might come in handy for someone who lives nearby.

(I've no affiliation with this company).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭cml387

There was a piece on the Saturday farming program on RTE radio 1 about a chap in Mullingar who fixed complicated electronic devices now fitted on tractors (who knew?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 mairbu

Tog Hackerspace in Dublin run a donation based repair event every few months. Electrical, sewing and I don't know what else. I've had a few things fixed there.

www.tog.ie

Advertisement