Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonoff light switches alternatives

Options
  • 14-10-2018 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

I really don't like the idea of the philips hue. Things need to be idiot proof and requiring someone not to turn off the light is crazy IMHO. For that reason I have chosen to go with switch replacements.

My requirements are as follows:
    - Must be available in 1,2 and 3 gang switches.
    - Must be white and have no light on them when on or off.
    - They must look normal, they can be mechanical but don't care.
    - Must work with alexa
    - Basically I am looking for someone like the sonoff wall switches that are better. I don't really want to have them linking to a server in China and as its going to be part of the wall I would rather that they are someone that is made in the EU.
    I don't want to put sonoff relays in the wall either.
    What are my options.
    I also want something that my electrian can fit and its all above board. Don't mind paying a bit more etc for piece of mind of a product that has passed all the regs.
    A sonoff with white insulation tape to cover the dreadful blue light on them looks like the best option but that would look dreadful

I opened up my lights and there seems to be 3 wires in each.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Have you neutrals at your switches, if you dont you'll need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You could look at fibaro.

I'd imagine the electrician will run a mile from it. Might fit them but the call backs for the messing around with software would not be attractive to an electrician imo, you'd have to be up to speed on it too.

I would avoid lightwaverf lighting kit

In most cases you are talking about relays in your walls, or somewhere

SONOFF have a 4 channel dinrail mounted unit.

But you don't want their kit.

Really Philips hue and hue tap switches is one of the easiest to add too and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your options are very limited, and id garner you wont like the price of ones that may suit what you want.

You can actually just moved the faceplate on the Sonoff and cover the LED light with blackout tape, this means the light doesnt show.

As for the manufacturer in EU and not China. Well good luck. I cant assist conspiracy theories about China wanting to turn your home lights on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Have you neutrals at your switches, if you dont you'll need them.

No I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

rom wrote: »
    No I don't

If your in a situation where you can re wire, or add cables to behind your lightswitch you could look at a few options.

1) get some cat 5 cable behind your wall switch. Doing this, you have loads of options to wire your cat5 to a standard momentary light switch (can be single gang, 2gang, or up to 4 gang). These switches can and do look and operate just like normal switches. You can then use those switches to control an unlimited number and type of devices, including smart bulbs, hue, lifx etc, or lots of relay modules.

2) fibaro, as earlier suggested, but you will need a neutral, or otherwise there are fibaro dimmer modules which do not require a neutral, but you have to use dimmable bulbs with these.

I am assuming you are doing the logic programming yourself, I wouldn't ask an electrician or any other person to do that anyway, much better to so it yourself and adapt it to suit your needs.

If you are handy, physically installing fibaro is not rocket science

• Advertisement
Advertisement