Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade advice needed please.

Options
  • 15-10-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

I have a 5820k/mobo and ram atm that I am going to give it to my son so that leaves me lost as what to get for myself.

I ordered a X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero and a 2600 that will arrive in a few days.The plan was to get a good mobo with a cheaper cpu now and get the newer Ryzen cpu's that will be released next year.

I was looking to get either a 9700k or 9900k but now seeing the crazy prices from Intel atm I was put off that idea.

So I should be happy with the original plan,right?
    Well now I have found out that I can get an Intel cpu through the employees program at a decent discount.

Main use will be gaming with a 120Hz monitor for the moment.

So should I return the new Amd gear or go with Intel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

For you!

If it were me, I'd probably stick with Ryzen. AMD have pretty much reaches IPC parity with Intel at this point (roughly), it's cheaper, and basically all the Intel part has going for it is clockspeed, which 7nm should sort out pretty nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Focus on the GPU & cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Serephucus wrote: »
    For you!

If it were me, I'd probably stick with Ryzen. AMD have pretty much reaches IPC parity with Intel at this point (roughly), it's cheaper, and basically all the Intel part has going for it is clockspeed, which 7nm should sort out pretty nicely.
    Thanks,I am leaning towards plan A as I am interested to see what improvements the 7nm will bring.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Focus on the GPU & cooling.
    That makes sense.
    Gpu upgrade for me from my vega 56 will be a while as I don't fancy shelling out for current gpu prices.
    Cooling is sorted as I am in process of rebuilding my watercooled case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If it's a reference Vega, consider upgrading its cooling too.
    Sadly the only options are a full water block (expensive) or the Raijintek Morpheus Vega (gargantuan).

*edit* also tinker with undervolting.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If it's a reference Vega, consider upgrading its cooling too.
    Sadly the only options are a full water block (expensive) or the Raijintek Morpheus Vega (gargantuan).

*edit* also tinker with undervolting.

Already undervolted and watercooled from day one :D

• Advertisement

Well I decided to keep the Amd mobo and cpu and swap out the cpu next year.

I just received the mobo and its bloody used grrr.One of the sata cable bag opened,obvious dust in places and the pcie express clip was in the opened position.

I'm sure i could of gotten a few quid of it with amazon if I kept it.Not worth the hassle to replace it if it has been returned because of some random fault which I find at a later date.Cpu and gpu are watercooled so a lot of time to swap out if that was the case.

Advertisement