Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i leave wine in demi jars for entire fermentation?

Options
  • 15-10-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I have left blackberry wine in demi jars with carbon release gadgets for 8 days in warm place. I have been told I now need to transfer to bottles and move to cool area (garden shed).
    Can i leave in demi jars for the entire fermentation period (6 months) as they are still bubbling?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I don't see why not. You definitely don't want to bottle them while they're still fermenting. 8 days sounds irresponsibly short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You absolutely can. I'd guess the ferment will have stopped or slowed to a crawl by about two months: but bramble is a lovely wine the longer it is left.

I've often left wines in the demijohns until the day of drinking, lol: but if there is a big dirty pile of sediment at the bottom, you might prefer to transfer the wine once fermentation is done.

Sláinte mhaith!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Day Lewin wrote: »
    You absolutely can. I'd guess the ferment will have stopped or slowed to a crawl by about two months: but bramble is a lovely wine the longer it is left.

I've often left wines in the demijohns until the day of drinking, lol: but if there is a big dirty pile of sediment at the bottom, you might prefer to transfer the wine once fermentation is done.

Sláinte mhaith!

What this man says, if there’s a lot of sediment then transfer to a new Demi john.
    I’ve left them in semi johns for up to a year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Bottled one recently, had sat in a demijohn its whole life, 6 months or so. Racked it once for the sediment but that was it. First shot at wine so possibly its ****e, second batch is the same way. need to rack that this weekend actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

As everyone says above perfectly fine to leave it. Once you rack it at least once it'll be fine. On fact my best ones tend to those I've forgotten about for months before bottling!

• Advertisement
Advertisement