Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That dinner will be held on the third floor. One wonders if after her speech TM will leave via the door or the window. If she thought the burning she got a few weeks ago was bad, unless she brings fresh thinking ( unlikely) to the dinner, she'll get an earful.
    I'd say there's a fair chance of the EU heads putting a temprory halt on discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the responses make for grim reading

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

lawred2 wrote: »
    the responses make for grim reading

This from a guy who lives in Canada, and thinks it's the EU that's in trouble.

https://twitter.com/PhilTabor8/status/1052202268152479744

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tusk confirms there that May will be asked for solid proposal tomorrow.

Barnier today said said needs backstop to avoid border in ALL circumstances.

Ergo there won't be a summit agreed tomorrow for November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

SNIP.

No more name calling please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Asmooh wrote: »
    If NI becomes IRE I expect a new troubles and if not there will be enough people that don't want their monthly bills increasing by 1000%

We don't have an RHI scheme in place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tusk confirms there that May will be asked for solid proposal tomorrow.

Barnier today said said needs backstop to avoid border in ALL circumstances.

Ergo there won't be a summit agreed tomorrow for November.

So 'End Game', then?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,930 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hurrache wrote: »
    This from a guy who lives in Canada, and thinks it's the EU that's in trouble.

https://twitter.com/PhilTabor8/status/1052202268152479744

These are not real people. They are quite literally machine learning.

Do people honestly thing the cyber warfare has gone away?

In fact its increasing, they are pressing home decisiveness to make it appear that the minority of brexiteers are a majority and a loud one. There isnt real people calling for these en masse, replying to any brexit related tweet within minutes of it going up. Real life doesnt work that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

I hope they make a wall between northern ireland and the republic.
    then revoke all rights for Irish people including right to speak irish.

Nothing wrong with being Irish but be Irish in the republic, mainly because most people are bitching about the british.. yet they wouldn't mind using UK benefits.

The only upside of a hard border will be the movement of people that have been ambivalent towards unification toward that position. Is thoroughly ironic that the stroke that the British pulled in dividing the country might come back almost 100 years later and destroy the last vestiges of their empire and indeed their country. You could forgive David lloyd George for not for predicting that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I can see Coveney or Varadkar having a word with Howlin after that.

Probably best to say that stuff in private to them rather than be a 'useful idiot' for British counter briefings in Europe.

You may be correct on it just being Britain stirring the pot, but from ambassador O`Neill`s statement, (which I imagine he would not have made before clearing with the government), I got the felling there may just be more too it than that.

Hopefully not.

French FO keeping quiet and German FO starting to look at their watch and tap the foot. ( thanks for coming to my Ted talk :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Nothing wrong with being Irish but be Irish in the republic, mainly because most people are bitching about the british.. yet they wouldn't mind using UK benefits.

Any chance, the Brits might pay rent in Ireland or actually be British in ..... Britain?

They can even apply for British passports.

A "word" being had with Howlin publicly on twitter by Coveney and a couple of high profile Brexit journos at the moment. Some humour to lighten the day.

Anyone see the Tory pup trying to educate Neale Richmond on BBC earlier?

He made reference that they made it illegal to put any sort of border in the Irish sea at Westminister.

Richmond should have told him we don't negotiate on the basis of backbenchers putting down ammendments during negotiations on what is legal and what is not.

Other than that Richmond handled it well.

The ignorance from some of these guys is eyewatering. The tory was making references to 'Secetaries of State for Ireland'.

They haven't got a clue.

I'd feel sorry for Richmond if it wasn't for the likes of him enabling British nationalists over the last few decades by blaming everything on Sinn Féin.

Anyone pointing out these types across the water were deemed enemies of the state by the Irish establishment or provo sympathisers.

These <SNIP. No name calling please> are not our "friends", they do not like us, they are not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

trellheim wrote: »
    A "word" being had with Howlin publicly on twitter by Coveney and a couple of high profile Brexit journos at the moment. Some humour to lighten the day.

Interesting to read Coveney's latest statement - negotiating teams would signal "if and when" another summit would be held.

Mc Love wrote: »
    And the fact that NI can apply for an Irish passport

What does any of what you two were rambling about mean?

Are you on the right forum?

As far as I remember you pay taxes in the country you are working, so if you work in the Republic you would pay Irish taxes, In NI you would pay UK taxes.

I don't think and hope UK will ever give up NI.
    Only way would be to make NI its own country but never going to be part of the Republic.

If you compare NI with IRE they are totally different.. we don't have housing crisis, we don't have high road taxes, we don't have houses that are way too high in price that they are actually worth.

Our Healthcare is a lot better etc..

I'm pretty sure all of that is false, and that's aside from the fact ni is a failing welfare state.

And the UK don't decide if they're "giving it up", it will be a referendum.

They can't be allowed just cut and run, they have responsibilities to the mess they caused there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

trellheim wrote: »

https://twitter.com/simoncoveney/status/1052210549738663938

AKA shut up Brendan you haven't a clue

badtoro wrote: »
    Electricity.

Badtoro, the North may not have electricity the way things are going 😂

Also, why is it that people try to imply that unionists in particular have a problem with working and paying taxes, and creating jobs.

This is the problem with generational welfarism, people seem to become what they continuously do, (or don't do!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I did... I lived in the republic, worked in the republic etc..

Moved up north and guess what? more money left by the end of the month and i even have 2 cars.. while in the north I could hardly afford one car.

In the republic i rented a room... in the North I got a house for the same amount of money.

Myself and my husband both doubled our salaries in the south as compared to what we were earning in the north.

The average wage figures for full-time workers in the north vs the south would support my version of events as opposed to your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I am personally looking forward to the myriad of crazy salt covered opinions we are due to receive over the coming weeks and months as this moves to a conclusion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

I did... I lived in the republic, worked in the republic etc..

Moved up north and guess what? more money left by the end of the month and i even have 2 cars.. while in the north I could hardly afford one car.

In the republic i rented a room... in the North I got a house for the same amount of money.

Myself and my husband both doubled our salaries in the south as compared to what we were earning in the north.

The average wage figures for full-time workers in the north vs the south would support my version of events as opposed to your own!
    Wages are higher but also costs.
    Like I said for the price of a room I had an house in Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

And I got a cheap room. Some months electricity was 300 EUR... That's the same I paid in Belfast in a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fairly certain electricity is clearly dearer in NI than ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Considering how negatively a no deal brexit would affect ireland would it be worth allowing some border controls to ensure a deal.
    I'm a cross border worker rep to north, so would be personally affected.
    But I'm also severly affected by the collapse in sterling which is essentially a massive paycut.
    An exchange rate of about 1.30 euro to 1 pound is needed to keep prices and wages comparable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Wages are higher but also costs.
    Like I said for the price of a room I had an house in Belfast

The Northern Irish economy is subsidised to the tune of about £9 billion (sterling) a year by Westminster and £3.5 billion a year by the EU. That's about 30% of GDP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

I don't think and hope UK will ever give up NI.
    Only way would be to make NI its own country but never going to be part of the Republic.

The UK gave up on having a say on NI remaining in the UK back in 1998. The GFA stipulates that should it ever seem likely that a majority would vote in favour of Unification, then a referendum must be held and should 50% +1 vote in favour of Unification, then NI leaves the UK and becomes part of a United Ireland.

It might never happen, but it certainly could happen, and the way things are going, I would not be surprised if it did happen.
    If you compare NI with IRE they are totally different.. we don't have housing crisis, we don't have high road taxes, we don't have houses that are way too high in price that they are actually worth.

Our Healthcare is a lot better etc..

Being somewhat different is no reason that you can't be part of the same country. NI is very different to Chelsea but both are currently in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So proposed backstop not acceptable, but nor do they have mechanism or solution to resolve it.
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1052225782171541505

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

First Up wrote: »
    The Northern Irish economy is subsidised to the tune of about £9 billion (sterling) a year by Westminster and £3.5 billion a year by the EU. That's about 30% of GDP.
    Exactly and post hard Brexit the money simply won't be there to maintain those levels of subsidy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement