Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RobMc59 wrote: »
    If the EU has no control over the UK and if after a hard brexit they regroup and do well other countries may be tempted to also leave the EU-that's what I'm suggesting.

Regroup? What does that mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

The problem that might emerge for the EU from a hard Brexit is that after a period of uncertainty and taking a major hit a resurgent UK regroups (rather like russia)-the EU would have no control over what may be a more attractive proposition to nations wavering about EU membership (and there are a few).
    Point of information: Russia's economy is still in the toilet. A similar GDP to mighty Canada, with nearly 4 times the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The UK is the fifth largest economy in the world. Perhaps after Brexit they regroup. This certainly can't be said for the likes of Poland or most other European countries

Why not?-and I imagine countries like Italy and Greece will be watching proceedings very closely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why not?-and I imagine countries like Italy and Greece will be watching proceedings very closely.

The irony here is that London would essentially become the caricature of Brussels the tabloids have successfully sold to the British electorate. I don't think continental Europeans are this gullible to be honest.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

The Brexiteers keep saying Italy is next.

Any day now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

So...a union of (all of?) the UK, Italy and Greece. Well that makes economic sense.

No wait, it can't be a union, that defeats the purpose of Brexit. So a trade deal. Awesome. I can totally see them walking out of a union of 500 million people for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The irony here is that London would essentially become the caricature of Brussels the tabloids have successfully sold to the British electorate. I don't think continental Europeans are this gullible to be honest.

The people in power in the EU will be looking beyond the next few years and the last thing they want is the UK doing well on their own-that's why I believe the EU wants a deal as much as Britain-the old adage-"keep your friends close and your enemies closer" comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Because most European countries are too small or to weak to compete on the world stage by themselves anymore. This isn't just a European issues, across the world trade blocks are forming or formed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The people in power in the EU will be looking beyond the next few years and the last thing they want is the UK doing well on their own-that's why I believe the EU wants a deal as much as Britain-the old adage-"keep your friends close and your enemies closer" comes to mind.

There is no sign whatsoever that the UK's situation will improve post-Brexit.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Who are "the people in power in the EU"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

According to Claire Byrne just now on RTE, May saysbthat she won't compromise.
    Hard Brexit it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

According to Claire Byrne just now on RTE, May won't compromise

She's screwed then. I'd say very likely the only way out of this whole mess at this point is a 2nd ref or crash out. Incompetent failures the lot of them in westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sounds like TM is swaying that way tonight. But it won't go through the HoC. She's basically at this point deciding who will resign from the Cabinet.

Some absolute loonies on CB Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If a couple of those resign, May is gone. If May goes then it's hard to see any agreement this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

According to Claire Byrne just now on RTE, May saysbthat she won't compromise.
    Hard Brexit it is so!

I was aghast at the two Brexiters that opened the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hurrache wrote: »

Jim Allister is making an show of himself. He won't stop talking and shouting. Nobody can get a word in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hurrache wrote: »
    Funnier than Laurel & Hardy (except it's also scary)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Water John wrote: »
    Some absolute loonies on CB Live.

It is "car crash" tv alright.
    Oh dear, what a shower of b-tards. I wish some adult would lock all the DUPers and Tory Brexiteers in a rubber room where they could wave their union jack underwear at each other + leave the rest of us in peace.

Jim Allister doesn't accept the poll. Of course. Mind you, Nolan is a bit of a gob****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nolan just has a diff more aggressive style but it doesn't bother me. He is really showing up the idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Jim Allister doesn't accept the poll. Of course. Mind you, Nolan is a bit of a gob****e.

Listening to him there. He gives credence to the concept of alternative facts.

Jim Allister: "Only 44% of our trade is with the EU." That's okay then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Pro-Brexit voices in the north 'the South's economy will be much more damaged by Brexit than the UK's'

Utter cluelessness and inability to do simple arithmetic never mind have a rudimentary understanding of economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pro-Brexit voices in the north 'the South's economy will be much more damaged by Brexit than the UK's'

Utter cluelessness and inability to do simple arithmetic never mind have a rudimentary understanding of economics.

I was just thinking the same thing. The majority unionist attitude seems to be, we might be fecked but you're going to be more fecked. So there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I was just thinking the same thing. The majority unionist attitude seems to be, we might be fecked but you're going to be more fecked. So there.
    The economic theories of John Maynard Keystone Cops. We're going to shoot ourselves in the head, but the bullet is sure to carry on and clip you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I watched some of May's speech earlier, talk about trade deals with Africa and Asia which they'll get working on after Brexit.

Jim Allister doing a great job of increasing the anti UI vote in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Northern Ireland discourse seems to be not much more than an effort in shouting the loudest.. fairly immature discourteous stuff.

This shows' whole concept is gimmickry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just a thought, If the backstop is legally written in with no preconditions, time limits etc. what's to stop Ireland playing real hardball over the trade agreement negotiations? Knowing they have nothing to worry about because the backstop is there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement